Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:19 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

App Store Reaches 200 Million Downloads

During the conference call yesterday, Steve Jobs revealed that the 200 millionth application would be downloaded from the App Store sometime today.

Apple previously revealed that the App Store had delivered over 100 million applications on September 9th. The most recent numbers suggest there has been an acceleration of downloads since that time.

Jobs gave no hints as to the revenue currently being generated by App Store sales, though back in August detailed that Apple had been selling an average of $1 million a day in applications during the first month.

Article Link: App Store Reaches 200 Million Downloads

Last edited by arn; Oct 22, 2008 at 11:36 AM.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:29 AM   #2
kajitox
macrumors 6502a

I'd be interested to know if this counts downloading updates for apps.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:43 AM   #3
tmisker
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajitox View Post
I'd be interested to know if this counts downloading updates for apps.
I don't think so. 200 million apps divided by roughly 10 million users is 20 downloads per person. A lot of apps have had an update, so that makes 10 apps + 10 updates. 10 apps is very few. I even think 20 apps is few (I have 100).
tmisker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:44 AM   #4
kajitox
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmisker View Post
I don't think so. 200 million apps divided by roughly 10 million users is 20 downloads per person. A lot of apps have had an update, so that makes 10 apps + 10 updates. 10 apps is very few. I even think 20 apps is few (I have 100).
I'd say the average user doesn't have 100 apps. Maybe that's just a shot in the dark, though.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:48 AM   #5
tmisker
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajitox View Post
I'd say the average user doesn't have 100 apps. Maybe that's just a shot in the dark, though.
But do you think the average user has 10 apps? Also counting apps that are downloaded and deleted immediately. (That changes the numbers a bit, because deleted apps won't update... but still)
tmisker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:51 AM   #6
samh004
macrumors 68020

So that's $1 million a day x number of days the app store has been open x Apple's 30% cut. I'd imagine they've got to be quite pleased with themselves right about now.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Rybold
macrumors 6502a

(200 million Apps / 14 million total iPhones sold) = 14.2857 Apps per phone.
Hmmm. I wonder if it's that 0.2857th of an App that is causing my phone to crash. (scratches head)

But wait. How many iPod Touches have been sold ?
Rybold is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 01:56 PM   #8
chr1s60
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmisker View Post
But do you think the average user has 10 apps? Also counting apps that are downloaded and deleted immediately. (That changes the numbers a bit, because deleted apps won't update... but still)
I know quite a few people with iPhones that aren't big on the app store or filling their phone with applications. I know more than a few people that have 5 or less apps on their phones. The average user probably has maybe 5 apps on their phone. The remainder of the 200 million is made up by those extreme users that have 80 or more apps on their phones.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 02:14 PM   #9
AppleMojo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chr1s60 View Post
I know quite a few people with iPhones that aren't big on the app store or filling their phone with applications. I know more than a few people that have 5 or less apps on their phones. The average user probably has maybe 5 apps on their phone. The remainder of the 200 million is made up by those extreme users that have 80 or more apps on their phones.
Very similar here, my colleagues who use the iPhone probably average at 4 or 5 apps. Although I do know an app-junkie, who always seems to have every application or at least had it at one point.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 05:27 PM   #10
macduke
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMojo View Post
Although I do know an app-junkie, who always seems to have every application or at least had it at one point.
Haha is it me? All my screens are full, and I've deleted hundreds of apps. I think I have the best set of apps out there. I think I'm the main person driving the 200 millionth download. I've turned into quite an app collector. What is great is that many of my apps I've got for free, because I watch arn's appshopper.com to see all the updates and price drops!

As a side note...which do you guys prefer for a tv guide app? "What's On?" or iTV? I can't decide which one I like more...

Some of my recent favorite apps are Doodler, iTranslate, iBall3d, Nature SDS, Lux Touch, fring, Maze Finger, FS5 Air Hockey, Blockbreaker Deluxe 2, Weightbot, Photoboard, Flick Bowling, FLEX, Clinometer, Brushes, Firemail, Jelly Car, and Color Expert.
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 09:44 AM   #11
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Yowza! Those figures are huge! Good chance it'll hit 1 Billion downloads within a year.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:38 AM   #12
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Say, wth all the enormous amounts of cash that Apple is making...

Do you think they'll stop charging poor iPod touch owners for simple updates?

Naw, probably not.
kdarling is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:05 AM   #13
iGoon
macrumors newbie

God, this bodes well for anyone developing an app. I do agree however that charges for simple updates (fixes, enhancements, etc.) is a bit excessive. If you're actually getting more content that's something different but to nickel and dime people for minor upgrades isn't cool.
iGoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:11 AM   #14
highjumppudding
Banned

no doubt, moving to the future this was a great move for apple.
highjumppudding is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:55 AM   #15
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
Say, wth all the enormous amounts of cash that Apple is making...

Do you think they'll stop charging poor iPod touch owners for simple updates?

Naw, probably not.
LOL... nah.. I don't think so either..........

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion