Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
Since getting the new MBP, I've found that I accidentally do the pinch command in Safari ALL the time, which either increases or decreases the text size. This is incredibly annoying, and there doesn't seem to be a way to disable it in Trackpad System Preferences. Is there a workaround (Terminal or otherwise)? If it requires disabling all multi-touch functionality, I'm fine with it.

rolex54

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Houston, TX
you can set a minimum font size in safari preferences which should stop it from getting smaller, but other than that I don't know of another way

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Since getting the new MBP, I've found that I accidentally do the pinch command in Safari ALL the time, which either increases or decreases the text size. This is incredibly annoying, and there doesn't seem to be a way to disable it in Trackpad System Preferences. Is there a workaround (Terminal or otherwise)? If it requires disabling all multi-touch functionality, I'm fine with it.

Out of curiosity, how do you accidently do that? I didn't even think it did that until I tried it just now. Maybe you should reposition your fingers... idk...

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I've been wondering the same thing. Specifically, how do I just disable the pinch to zoom gesture in Safari. I always change the font size accidentally while scrolling. very annoying. It is probably confusing to new mac users too...

jguluarte

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
Solution!!!

I finally fixed it for me!

1) Download and Install "MultiClutch".

2) Once you have it installed, add Safari to the Application list (it is the plus image in the lower left corner).

3) Click Safari from that list to access Safari settings.

4) Add two new rules (the plus in the lower right corner).

5) Set one to "Zoom In" and one to "Zoom Out"

6) Set a key command sequence that does nothing (I set mine to apple+option+crtl+shift+] because I know that doesn't do anything)

7) ...

8) PROFIT!

Now I no longer accidentally resize the text!!!

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002

2) Once you have it installed, add Safari to the Application list (it is the plus image in the lower left corner).

6) Set a key command sequence that does nothing (I set mine to apple+option+crtl+shift+] because I know that doesn't do anything)

7) ...

8) PROFIT!

Simply... awesome. Thanks for this. It's the one pet peeve I've had with this new Unibody MBP -- I was thinking of asking the developer of Saft to address it. Or resign myself to waiting for Apple.

You just resolved it, with a System Pref I'd already had installed. Thanks again!

DJ567

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
London, UK
thanks for finding this solution it really is annoying because the way i use my trackpad with 1 digit treating it as a button and the others as a trackpad i was always zooming in and out. and the pinching doesnt appear to be very accurate as when i tried to pinch it back to normal it would always be too much or too little

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2005
Has anybody found how to totally turn of the gestures? I hate them in all applications. Thanks.

robotfist

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Trackpad issues among other things....

I agree. In fact, it's so annoying that I've been debating getting rid of my machine. I have been a loyal Mac user for 18 years now. This is the first time I've ever debated returning a machine because of a feature! I use photoshop all day and the canvas is constantly rotating and zooming with even the slightest misstep. It's extremely aggravating and anti-productive.

These new machines are neat, but I can't believe how many issues I run into with mine. And I'm talking about issues that Apple either overlooked or actually approved (i.e. the removal of Firewire 400 ports, stiff and noisy trackpad, unable to replace a single keyboard key without replacing the ENTIRE case, cheaper keys, no matte screen, loose screen hinge, blah, blah, blah, b*$tch, b$#itch, b$#tch).

I am currently in Oklahoma City for 5 days and last week I went to buy a Firewire 800 to 400 cable as well as a miniDisplay port to DVI adapter to plug in my Cinema Display. *Besides the Apple store, there is not a single store in the ENTIRE CITY that carries these cables. Because of this, even the overpriced Apple store's inventory was sold out. These laptops have been out for half a year now. If Apple is going to change their ports with every model and remove ports that are still common among most devices, they'd better make sure they've got the cables and adapters to support those ports. Currently I cannot access even ONE of my TWENTY FIVE firewire 400 drives and my Cinema Display is utterly useless.

*Correction, Best Buy carries a Dynex Firewire 800 to 400 adapter. It's $51.00. I guess I'll just spend the dog food money and he can eat dirt for a month.

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2005
I agree. In fact, it's so annoying that I've been debating getting rid of my machine. I have been a loyal Mac user for 18 years now. This is the first time I've ever debated returning a machine because of a feature! I use photoshop all day and the canvas is constantly rotating and zooming with even the slightest misstep. It's extremely aggravating and anti-productive.

These new machines are neat, but I can't believe how many issues I run into with mine. And I'm talking about issues that Apple either overlooked or actually approved (i.e. the removal of Firewire 400 ports, stiff and noisy trackpad, unable to replace a single keyboard key without replacing the ENTIRE case, cheaper keys, no matte screen, loose screen hinge, blah, blah, blah, b*$tch, b$#itch, b$#tch).

I am currently in Oklahoma City for 5 days and last week I went to buy a Firewire 800 to 400 cable as well as a miniDisplay port to DVI adapter to plug in my Cinema Display. *Besides the Apple store, there is not a single store in the ENTIRE CITY that carries these cables. Because of this, even the overpriced Apple store's inventory was sold out. These laptops have been out for half a year now. If Apple is going to change their ports with every model and remove ports that are still common among most devices, they'd better make sure they've got the cables and adapters to support those ports. Currently I cannot access even ONE of my TWENTY FIVE firewire 400 drives and my Cinema Display is utterly useless.

*Correction, Best Buy carries a Dynex Firewire 800 to 400 adapter. It's $51.00. I guess I'll just spend the dog food money and he can eat dirt for a month.

LOL... yeah, I stopped using PS when I don't have a mouse handy.

w8ing4intelmacs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2006
East Coast, US

7) ...

8) PROFIT!

Works great. Thanks. But, isn't this the epitome of kluge? :)

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
Because of this, even the overpriced Apple store's inventory was sold out. These laptops have been out for half a year now. If Apple is going to change their ports with every model and remove ports that are still common among most devices, they'd better make sure they've got the cables and adapters to support those ports. Currently I cannot access even ONE of my TWENTY FIVE firewire 400 drives and my Cinema Display is utterly useless.

Why don't you just get a firewire 800 to 400 cable. I bought several of them from monoprice for under $5. This should solve the inability for your 25 firewire 400 drives from connecting to you MBP.

mfaina

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
Can't assign command keys

Installed MultiClutch, was able to assign keys first time, the zoom in/out was finally solved for Safari, after I closed and open it via System Preferences, I can't delete or assign command keys anymore! I deleted (-) Safari added it again and now I can't assign command keys anymore. Any suggestions? Thanks!

samsoffes

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
Snow Leopard

I know I turned off those gestures when I got my new 13-inch MBP. I installed Snow Leopard the day I got it and recently reinstalled Leopard and was looking for how to turn it off.

So there may or may not be a way in Snow Leopard if you know what I mean (yay for NDAs) :)

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Multi-clutch is solving the main problem with gestures but
has created another...

Now, with a certain gesture on the trackpad (have no idea what
I am doing) Safari is mimimizing itself.

Any idea what may be happening?

dandaman2

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Multi-clutch is solving the main problem with gestures but
has created another...

Now, with a certain gesture on the trackpad (have no idea what
I am doing) Safari is mimimizing itself.

Any idea what may be happening?

Do you have tap-to-click turned on?

equis

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
I've been having the same issue - very frustrating. But I have just found something that worked for me. In the trackpad panel I unchecked Pinch Open & Close. The resizing doesn't occur anymore. Hope this works for others.

dandaman2

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
@equis
Yeah, that's the SL way. You used to have to install MultiClutch (still do on Leopard). My way was a Logimouse VX Nano.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
I've been having the same issue - very frustrating. But I have just found something that worked for me. In the trackpad panel I unchecked Pinch Open & Close. The resizing doesn't occur anymore. Hope this works for others.

That's great but then it turns off Pinch Open (zoom in) and Pinch Close (zoom out) in *all* apps. Not just Safari, where it was bugging me. I like pinch open & close in Preview, for example.

Luckily there is an update to MultiClutch that now works in Snow Leopard:
http://blog.prashantv.com/2009/multiclutch-fixes-instructions/

I use this to disable Pinch Open & Close in Safari only (follow jguluarte's instructions in this thread.) And also to create a gesture to "swipe up" and "swipe down" to move from message to message in Gmail/MailPlane.

Jazzop

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2010
So, as I understand this thread, there is no way to disable ALL gesture functionality of the trackpad under an OS X version earlier than Snow Leopard?

I cannot install Snow Leopard for some licensing reasons, so am I screwed?

Also, I would like to disable all gestures under Win XP. I also want some kind of right-click capability. So far everyone suggests some weird two-finger method for right-clicking, which is not compatible with my physical appendages and would also be incompatible with my plan to disable gesturing.

In summary, I want the trackpad to act as a trackball, with clicking to be accomplished only through the mechanical switch by pressing hard on the pad.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I am 3 days into my first Mac (other than headless servers running linux, with no silly proprietary Mac input devices).

dandaman2

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
So, as I understand this thread, there is no way to disable ALL gesture functionality of the trackpad under an OS X version earlier than Snow Leopard?

I cannot install Snow Leopard for some licensing reasons, so am I screwed?

Also, I would like to disable all gestures under Win XP. I also want some kind of right-click capability. So far everyone suggests some weird two-finger method for right-clicking, which is not compatible with my physical appendages and would also be incompatible with my plan to disable gesturing.

In summary, I want the trackpad to act as a trackball, with clicking to be accomplished only through the mechanical switch by pressing hard on the pad.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I am 3 days into my first Mac (other than headless servers running linux, with no silly proprietary Mac input devices).

Welcome to mac. A lot of us here on macrumors tend to prefer it.

You misunderstood the thread. In this situation, that is a good thing. Without Snow Leopard, there is no way to disable all multi-touch gestrures....

without installing something. Which you can do. Download and install MultiClutch. Then, set rules for "System Wide" or "All Programs" or something to that effect (I'm running Snow Leopard, and uninstalled the program, so I don't remember all the terminology). Add all the gestures and make sure they're all set to "No Action." I don't know if this applies to Windows, too, you might have to mess with Windows prefs to do that. I've never used Windows on my mac, just Ubuntu via Sun Virtualbox. The gestures I had turned on still worked, but that was just scrolling, etc, so I don't know if it was because of Ubuntu or MultiClutch.

In terms of write-click, the traditional way was to hold down the "control" key and then click. It was very annoying. But it works. Ask us if you have any other questions about your new mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.