Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donm3ga

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Hi all, I am trying to use ssh with my iPhone 3G and its not working. I am using WinSCP. I type in ssh root@<IP ADDRESS>, username is root, password is alpine. I keep getting an access denied error. So I changed my password on my iPhone through the terminal and it still didnt work. I also tried using no username and that still didnt resolve anything.

Im on the verge of giving up and just using a premade theme from Cydia.

Please help.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Hi all, I am trying to use ssh with my iPhone 3G and its not working. I am using WinSCP. I type in ssh root@<IP ADDRESS>, username is root, password is alpine. I keep getting an access denied error. So I changed my password on my iPhone through the terminal and it still didnt work. I also tried using no username and that still didnt resolve anything.

Im on the verge of giving up and just using a premade theme from Cydia.

Please help.

Did you download Open SSH from Cydia? Also for host name if you put in ssh root@<IP ADDRESS> don't do that. Just put in the ip address.

donm3ga

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Did you download Open SSH from Cydia? Also for host name if you put in ssh root@<IP ADDRESS> don't do that. Just put in the ip address.

I downloaded Open SSH from Cydia. I restarted my iPhone. I made sure it was turned on via BossPrefs. I did type in my IP ADDRESS, and not the actual works "IP ADDRESS." Haha!

I don't know why its giving me this access denied error when I know my password.

Any thoughts? Maybe do a restore, rejailbreak it and try again?

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
May sound stupid but have you got Bossprefs installed? If you have, have you disabled SSH on it?

donm3ga

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
May sound stupid but have you got Bossprefs installed? If you have, have you disabled SSH on it?

I have BossPrefs installed, and SSH was enabled on it when I was trying to connect it. Stated above.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
As long as you are entering the correct IP, port 22, and the correct password, I'm at a loss... Are you sure that you're connecting from the same wireless network?

Try creating an ad-hoc network from the computer, and connect to that from the iPhone to see if it makes a difference.

donm3ga

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
As long as you are entering the correct IP, port 22, and the correct password, I'm at a loss... Are you sure that you're connecting from the same wireless network?

Try creating an ad-hoc network from the computer, and connect to that from the iPhone to see if it makes a difference.

Just tried that...no go =(

Maybe I'll restore and start over. Thanks for trying guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.