Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myke2

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
So I just came home from work and woke up my beautiful two month old 24in iMac. I started up iTunes, checked my email, and looked up to see the top half of my display drop about 15 shades darker than the bottom half! I called Apple Care who told me they had never heard of something like this before and advised me to call the nearest Apple Store. I did, and like Apple Care, they had never heard of this happening. I set up an appointment for tomorrow but needless to say, I'm super pissed. Any ideas on how this could've happened? It's a brand new machine....I didn't expect this. :mad::mad::mad:

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
So I just came home from work and woke up my beautiful two month old 24in iMac. I started up iTunes, checked my email, and looked up to see the top half of my display drop about 15 shades darker than the bottom half! I called Apple Care who told me they had never heard of something like this before and advised me to call the nearest Apple Store. I did, and like Apple Care, they had never heard of this happening. I set up an appointment for tomorrow but needless to say, I'm super pissed. Any ideas on how this could've happened? It's a brand new machine....I didn't expect this. :mad::mad::mad:

2 months old?

1 year warranty : easy fix :)

myke2

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Yea, I know it will be. It's just the hassle of the whole thing. Gotta lug this beast thru the mall. Will they just give me a new one there and transfer my info over or what? I guess I'm just looking for an easy, hassle free fix.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Yea, I know it will be. It's just the hassle of the whole thing. Gotta lug this beast thru the mall. Will they just give me a new one there and transfer my info over or what? I guess I'm just looking for an easy, hassle free fix.

If you can't back up your data then ask in the store if they can transfer it over. If the answer is no .. then just pick it up and go home and make a backup. If the problem is the monitor and they are willing to just 'switch' it, they could make the effort to remove the hdd and move it to the new one.

If you pimped yours up with extra ram .. make sure you remove the ram first, etc.

Krysa

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
Hi,

Did you get your prob solved???? As i have the exact same thing. So only way is taking it to shop or what? And what did they say

myke2

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
They kept my machine for about a week and replaced my LCD screen. Works like a charm now.

edgew8

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
This is why people should never use the "sleep" mode :p

I know a lot of people have no problems with it but for the unlucky types such as myself, too many technical issues have cropped up from using it on both windows and Mac. Too much heat can build up over time inside the case and if the fans are not running that can awaken the gremlins. IMO its better to just put the monitor to sleep and let those fans keep the components cool.

Duke Mac

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
Kansas, USA
Hi,
I just saw this topic. I think it looks like a
backlight to the display went out. I had it
start to happen to my 20" ADC, fortunately
I still had one month left on my applecare.

Luvlimum

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I too purchased my gorgeous iMac 20" back in September of 2008. The top part of my screen is much darker than the bottom. I spoke to the Re-seller whom I purchased it from and they have asked me to bring it back in. I will backup all my stuff, but I have no idea what I am going to do without my Computer for a whole week!!! I have just started my own home based business (to pay off my gorgeous Mac) and now this? Might have to get my old PC off my mum and use that???

I will take a copy of this Thread with me as I have heard Apple have been trying to convince customers that they know nothing about this and try to convince the customer at the Genius stores that they cannot see anything!!! It has been a real problem for some here in Australia.

I will be taking her in on Monday and fingers crossed it will be repaired on the warranty. I do however, hope that this will not happen again in a few months?

Tanya

floodek

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
Hmmm...

Same thing here... 6 months old iMac 24 inch. Fifteen minutes ago while browsing the web the screen got a bit brighter for a split second and then the upper half went went quite few shades darker.

After 16 years of of being a power user of PCs my Mac adventure sure is off to a slow start. It sure is not as bullet-proof as Apple would like us all to think.

Yes, it will get repaired but after the hustle of taking it in for repairs and not having an access to the computer for a week or more ill be an owner of a refurbished now, brand new iMac :(

I guess for the time being ill dust off my 9 year old AMD t-bird i built my self. In all those years NOT once i had a problem.

Do i sound bitter/disapointed?? :)

deconstruct

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2007
I am now experiencing the same thing on my 20" iMac. The top half suddenly went dim. Even more frustrating is that I just brought it to the Genius Bar last week to fix my optical drive. It took a week to repair and two days later I have to bring it in yet again to fix another problem. Anybody know how long did this repair will take?

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
This is why people should never use the "sleep" mode :p

I know a lot of people have no problems with it but for the unlucky types such as myself, too many technical issues have cropped up from using it on both windows and Mac. Too much heat can build up over time inside the case and if the fans are not running that can awaken the gremlins. IMO its better to just put the monitor to sleep and let those fans keep the components cool.

I use sleep mode and so do my friends. The computer cuts all the way off and is ice cold in sleep mode. I'm lost at what you're talking about. Are you talking about actually telling the computer to sleep or just letting it go to sleep after x min?

Pugpuppydude

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Utah
I use sleep mode and so do my friends. The computer cuts all the way off and is ice cold in sleep mode. I'm lost at what you're talking about. Are you talking about actually telling the computer to sleep or just letting it go to sleep after x min?

I use put my computer to "sleep" every night when i go to bed. I was under the impression that it is better to put the computer in "sleep" mode to help the HDD last longer since i hear that startup/shutdown is the hardest on a hard-drive.. and i want my hard-drive to last long! :eek:

Saternoc

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
iMac Screen

Recently my aunt's iMac screen went completely black. She took it to the apple store and they told her that it would cost her about $700.00. I started doing browsing around and found that iMac's esp. the 24 inch screens are susceptible to getting spots or lines running through their screens.
I was wondering if you knew if Apple took of this issue because I am considering purchasing a "desktop" Mac. Would I just be better off with a mac mini and a separate screen? I don't do professional photo editing or heavy gaming incase you were wondering. However I do like that the iMac has better graphics, a stronger processor, and more hard drive space.

Pugpuppydude

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Utah
Recently my aunt's iMac screen went completely black. She took it to the apple store and they told her that it would cost her about $700.00. I started doing browsing around and found that iMac's esp. the 24 inch screens are susceptible to getting spots or lines running through their screens.
I was wondering if you knew if Apple took of this issue because I am considering purchasing a "desktop" Mac. Would I just be better off with a mac mini and a separate screen? I don't do professional photo editing or heavy gaming incase you were wondering. However I do like that the iMac has better graphics, a stronger processor, and more hard drive space.

All screens are susceptible to this. It is not just iMacs. Keep in mind that people only post on these forums when they are experiencing a problem and not when their computer is running perfectly. If you make an iMac purchase it is wise to get Applecare since it will cover dead pixels and all faulty screen issues. This happens to all screens. Happened to my Dells. Not my iMac yet though.

wase4711

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
the same thing has been happening to my wifes 14 month old 24 inch imac;
we bought it from Best buy, and bought the Best Buy extended warranty; will they replace the monitor, the entire computer, and, do they fix it there, or send it to Apple to be fixed? Should I format the computer before taking it in, so her data is safe? We back up to multiple locations, including time machine, I just dont want out financial info open for viewing at the Geek Squad.

Thanks for your input!

Hamza720

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
:mad::mad::mad:I am somewhat having the same problem. 1/4 of my ipad mini screen is black with blue red and green thin bands on it. It's mainly black but sometimes turns into white or gray. I don't know what to do pleeeeeeeeease help:mad::(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.