Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
I don't have much programing experience, a little Fortran in college a few years ago and that' as far as it goes. But I do find learning this kind of things easy and I like it.

So I downloaded Xcode and the iPhone SDK, and I'm really interested in learning to use it. Problem is, I don't know were to start. What should I learn first? What programming language? Objective-C?

Thanks.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Thanks for the link.:) I think I had already seen that one.

What happens is that I don't know any programming language. I read the one used for Xcode is Objective-C. I'm reading something and trying to learn it, but I don't know how al comes together.

I mean, what are the steps to follow? What should I learn first? And afterwards, how does one comes up into creating an application? What is the difference between Cocoa, Objective-C and how it all comes together in Xcode?

I know they are a lot of question, but I am lost on were to start. I don't think I'm understanding why Xcode comes with soo many tools and options.

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I second, third, fourth, fifth, etc. cocoalab.com and their becomeanxcoder tutorial. It's the best thing on earth. It assumes you don't know how to program at all. It covers objc, enough c, cocoa, xcode, interface builder, everything you need. It's a little old, but you'll be able to figure out the small differences.
Nate

LordZartek

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2008
Hey we can learn it together if you like, im looking for...

a beginner like myself to learn together how to use xcode. maybe even start a community of beginners, what do you think? lordzartek@gmail.com if your interested...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.