Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
That was a decent episode. I liked Clarkson's truck as well.

I also attended Top Gear Live in London yesterday. Talk about an epic day!

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is Top Gear Live? I know I've read about it but it still confused me a little.

Very excited about this season! Can't wait to see the new America episode (well, not entirely in America, but they do test 3 new American cars). :D

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
James May on Radio 2 (UK Radio)

James May was a guest on the Simon Mayo show today, second appearance this year in fact.

Brilliant as ever, and who would guess Captain Slow is moonlighting as a gynaecologist?

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
It looks like the BBC could have a new problem on its hands.

Comments made by Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear about murdering prostitutes have plunged the BBC into fresh controversy.

Clarkson said in Sunday night's programme after competing in a lorry-driving task: "This is a hard job, and I'm not just saying that to win favour with lorry drivers - it's a hard job.

"Change gear, change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder."

The United Road Transport Union has demanded an apology.

Spokesman James Bower said: "We would absolutely condemn what he said about murdering prostitutes. It beggars belief that those words can be broadcast on TV."

It comes after the row over the abusive phone calls made by Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross to the actor Andrew Sachs, which drew 30,000 complaints.

The BBC confirmed receiving 188 complaints, but defended Clarkson.

"The vast majority of Top Gear viewers have clear expectations of Jeremy Clarkson's long-established and frequently provocative on-screen persona," said a spokeswoman.

"This particular reference was used to comically exaggerate and make ridiculous an unfair urban myth about the world of lorry driving."

I, for one, would be utterly devastated if Clarkson, the Short One and the Other One were kicked off the Beeb. ;)

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Oh ****ing hell DOES NO ONE TAKE A ****ING JOKE ANYMORE??? :eek:

Exactly! :(

If someone says something funny but remotely disrespectful on TV there are always "pressure groups" DEMANDING AN APOLOGY... OR ELSE!!! :mad:
I get so fed up with these pathetic morons.

If you can't take a joke, move to the South Pole... Jeez.

But, back to this episode... gr8 start to Season 12!!! :cool:
LMAO when Clarkson "tested" the 911 GT2. :D

Clarkson terrified of GT2:

Attachments

• Clarkson.jpg
    Clarkson.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 98

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Just caught it on iPlayer since we were travelling on Sunday; what an awesome episode! Probably the best episode of Top Gear ever, I was laughing so hard when his truck caught fire! :D

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish, rubbish...

I don't know how many more of these fake, scripted 'challenges' I can take.

They're not even trying to beat each other any more, it's just twenty minutes of arsing around on camera. What's the point?

:mad:

and there's no Dacia Sandero ;)

chilipie

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Englandshire
I, for one, would be utterly devastated if Clarkson, the Short One and the Other One were kicked off the Beeb. ;)

I knew that was going to get complaints, but thought it was hilarious anyway. I'm quite surprised there hasn't been anyone complaining about Clarkson effectively blaming the financial crisis on the Mexicans though.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
You know, it really pisses me off that the people of this country will bitch and moan about the most trivial crap, like dumb jokes said by Jeremy Clarkson. But when it comes to the injustices we experience every day and things that SHOULD be complained about, not a feckin word. :rolleyes:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
And besides that, the difference between this and what Brand and Ross said on their show aren't even comparable. Brand and Ross got personal and singled out an individual. Clarkson didn't single out a particular lorry driver and call him a prostitute killer.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
I wonder how many of the 17,000 laughed out loud like I did (my guess, most) and how many would be so offended as to want to register a complaint (my guess, none)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Now that the Daily Mail public have realised that complaining about something to the BBC gets results the can now go after Clarkson.

It was brilliantly humerous especially

change gear, change gear, change gear, kill a prositute, change gear, check mirrors, kill a prositute, change gear, change gear.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
why are their union, representing them, complaining?

Between Sunday night, and today, there is no means by which they could have polled the membership to establish if, infact, they are in any way offended.

They have to do something to justify the Union dues. Angry letter writing, along with 'how to' guides in the quarterly magazine on cutting up drivers, driving too closely, and driving vehicles unfit for the road are probably all that keep the Union office busy. Next quarter - forensic science - and how to beat it.

Doug

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
I note that the Daily Mail aren't defending the rights of the Gypsy community and taking Clarkson to task over calling May a 'pikey'. :rolleyes:

(FYI, Martin Brundle got into trouble earlier in the year for using that word, while I wouldn't use it myself I thought it was as inoffensive as 'navie' but some people think otherwise.)

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
I note that the Daily Mail aren't defending the rights of the Gypsy community and taking Clarkson to task over calling May a 'pikey'. :rolleyes:

(FYI, Martin Brundle got into trouble earlier in the year for using that word, while I wouldn't use it myself I thought it was as inoffensive as 'navie' but some people think otherwise.)

LOL

The BBC wont exist soon with all this crap going on, EVERYONE JUST CHILL! ITS A JOKE!!! :mad:

Never take anything Clarkson says as anything other than that... Same with Russel Brand and the other guy, they are comedians! They took it too far, sure, but it was a joke! If you dont like it, turn it off!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.