Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Well, I've received the responsibility of a Powerbook G3 Pismo from a friend, who got it from his friend. I managed to boot it up once, running just fine, but it suddenly froze, and now I can't get this poor machine to boot. I tried using the reset button in the back, and it makes a buzzing noise, like it's trying to boot, but then it stops.

The battery is completely dead, and it only makes the sound off AC power, if the press the rest button (the power button no longer seems to work). I tried opening the machine and pulling out the PRAM connection, like has been suggested elsewhere, but to no avail. Is there any way I can know if it's the hard drive, or the logic board, or the RAM? It just died on me, upon first booting and working so well. Now all I get is a little buzzing noise every time I press the rest button, which sounds like it's trying to start up.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Let's go through the "It doesn't boot" checklist:

Is there any indication of a successful POST (beep, chime, anything?)
If not, is there any detectable error code? If still no......

Do the fans spin up?
Is the RAM seated properly? All the modules? (all clips should be latched completely)
Is the heatsink on correctly?
Everything has power, right?

Beric

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I press the reset button (only way I can get any response). I then hear the "processor whine" like it's starting up, and the fans, for about 5 seconds, before it dies down and all is quiet. No startup tone, unfortunately. I can repeat this process as much as I like.

I was running OS 9.2 the time it did boot.

EDIT
I have a good feeling you'll have to replace the PRAM battery if you already haven't.

I already pulled out the connection to the PRAM battery, and put it back in (after 5 mins), following that exact site. You're saying I actually need to replace it?

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Push down on the processor with some force, it might not be properly seated if the ram has been upgraded recently (or just come loose from use).

Beric

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Push down on the processor with some force, it might not be properly seated if the ram has been upgraded recently (or just come loose from use).

Will do.

Time to open it up again...

EDIT: Man, that PRAM battery connector is such a hassle. Took me 15 minutes last time...

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
yeah

I'd like to know too

My pismo died right after I installed 10.4 on it. On the reboot. It won't even make a sound now.

I switched the PRAM? battery with one from a working G3 Lombard. it didn't work but when putting back in the Lombard still works.

I love my Pismo, my first Mac Laptop and best. the keyboard was great.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I'd like to know too

My pismo died right after I installed 10.4 on it. On the reboot. It won't even make a sound now.

I switched the PRAM? battery with one from a working G3 Lombard. it didn't work but when putting back in the Lombard still works.

I love my Pismo, my first Mac Laptop and best. the keyboard was great.

Yeah, this thing is great. Too bad they don't make Macs like this anymore... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.