Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
So I have a White Macbook 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 160 GB running Leopard 10.5.5 (latest version), and I have DiskWarrior installed (latest CD version 42, which is Leopard compatible). I recently graphed my HD, and 30% of my files were out of order :eek:. So, I grabbed my DiskWarrior CD and put it in my Macbook and restarted holding down the C key. I saw the grey apple, then all of a sudden it restarted again. I have tried this method many times, holding down the option key, etc. but nothing is working. I even installed Drive Genius 2 and tried that. Still didn't work. I am at a loss of what to do, and my mac is starting to do strange things, like the time won't update, and it takes forever to connect to a wireless network. Does anybody have any suggestions? I have an external HD that I do Time Machine backups on, could I possibly boot from that and run DiskWarrior on my HD through my external? If so, how could that be done? I would really like to fix this myself and avoid the ridiculous repair fees in my area (and no I don't have an apple warranty), so any help would be awesome!! Thanks.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Try resetting the PRAM by holding down command-option-p-r on startup. That might allow you to boot from the CD.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
Yea I just tried that, but it still restarts. Thanks for the tip tho. Any1 else got any thoughts?

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
It sounds like the disc you're using isn't bootable. Have you used it before? Is it scratched?

Try booting from the Mac OS X install DVDs that came with your Mac. If they work then you'll know something is wrong with the disc. If you hold down "D" when booting from install disc #1, it'll boot into Apple Hardware Test. It's probably a good idea to run that. If you boot into the DVD normally, you can open Disk Utility and then verify and repair your hard drive. It could be corrupted.

If your computer really is a 2.4Ghz MacBook then it's less than a year old, which means you're still covered by Applecare.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
Well I just booted into OSX install Disk 1 and ran the hardware test: no problems found. And yes I have used that CD before, and I can't see any scratches. And I also tried booting into Drive Genius 2, and it wouldn't let me boot from that DVD either. So idk wat to do. I wish the OSX install disk had a de-frag utility on it...

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
OK, now boot into Mac OS X install and open Disk Utility. Click on your internal HD and then click repair disk. I don't think the problem is fragmentation. OS X is working on that constantly by the way it stores files.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
Thanks for your suggestion, but I already did that. And I still can't boot into DiskWarrior. And the graph still says that 32% of my files are out of order lol.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
I already tried that too lol. But I think it's the stuff I'm restoring that is the issue.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
So has anyone w/a Macbook w/Leopard (10.5.5) used DiskWarrior successfully?

chatoyer

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
Te Wai Pounamu, New Zealand
So has anyone w/a Macbook w/Leopard (10.5.5) used DiskWarrior successfully?

Not 10.5.5, but I did use it once at, I think, 10.5.2. Now when I use DiskWarrior, it gets stuck at, I think, Step 5. I always cancel it out. I've read online that people's machines can get stuck on Step 5 for literally days, but apparently the app is still working.

catroom

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
I purchased DiskWarrior 4.1 and recently made a new CD DiskWarrior 4.1.1 with the updater, downloaded from Alsoft.

However, you cannot boot that MacBook from the DiskWarrior CD. If you read the Read Me that accompanied the 4.1.1 updater it explains why. There is a DiskWarrior DVD Revision 810 you can buy if you want to boot that MacBook.

What I do is boot my MacBook from my clone backup and run DiskWarrior from the clone.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
The answer to the booting problem is exactly right in catroom's post just above.

The "r42" designation of Disk Warrior refers to the revision of the boot software on the disk. Each revision adds support for booting newer and newer Macs- and as of r42, the Macs introduced in early 2008 (including your 2.4Ghz MacBook) were not bootable from the disk. As was stated above, the current shipping version is now a DVD which carries the r810 designation- and that is the first release that will boot the early 2008 Macs. Sadly enough I fall into the same boat as my r42 disk will not boot my early 2008 Mac Pro either but I use the same solution by booting from one of my external clone backups and running the latest DW version (version 4.1.1- which is required for OSX 10.5.5) from it which works fine.

OK, so that is one thing- but one more thing that may prove more troubling to you is in regards to what you believe, as I did at one point, that DW does in regards to Defragmentation.

Simply put, running a DW session and then checking again in the graph mode will show 0% fragmentation and that is true-- but it is not file defragmentation in reality. It is only directory defragmentaton- that is, when complete all the directory entries on the disk will be in order but the actual files stored on the disk will still be scattered around the disk (fragmented) just as they were before you ran the DW session.:eek: It is a very misleading impression that DW leaves (and don't get me wrong- I love having DW around and it has saved me on more than one occasion!) concerning fragmentation.

True defragmentation (while many of us would contend is virtually never necessary in late model versions of OSX- see Apple's Document on Disk Optimization) optimizes not just the directory entries for a file as DW does but also the actual physical storage locations of files so that they are continuous. Programs such as iDefrag from Corolis Systems and the latest Drive Genius 2 by ProSoft Engineering both do full true disk defragmentation. Since I among others would submit that it is generally unneeded in OSX (most folks who support it have long backgrounds in other operating systems in which it is almost essential to do it), and some serious "data safety" considerations in doing the extended true defragmentation, you really need to make sure you want to take the risk in light of what it might do for your benefit. At any rate, please do not start a real defragmentation session without a current and complete backup of your drive! ;) All it takes is one power glitch (among other things) during a defrag session to render your drive unusable until is reformatted and the data restored. Hey to be positive, chances are it will run through the huge amounts of data reading and writing just fine-- but....;)

Anyway, in response to your question about using it from the external drive, that can indeed be done, but it needs to be bootable so OSX (and Alsoft recommends that it be the same version of OSX as the drive you want to run DW on) needs to be installed on it. You cannot boot an external drive that only has the Time Machine backup on it unfortunately. If you need more info on that, just ask and somebody will answer soon I am sure! Probably a lot easier and more time efficient to just order the update from Alsoft to the r810 DVD and boot your Mac directly from it! ;) If you purchased DW very recently, I imagine they have some kind of "shipping charges only" type of upgrade process to minimize cost.

One other alternative to running it from an external would require that you have another Mac at hand. If you do have another that can support Target Disk Mode via a FireWire or Ethernet port you can install DW on the other Mac and then work on your disk which will appear on that Mac's desktop in TDM. Notes about using TDM can be read in the Apple Target Disk Mode document. Note that although it doesn't mention it specifically in that document, Target Disk Mode in Leopard does support doing the same thing that it describes with a network (ethernet) cable instead of FireWire.

Oh BTW- you can also totally defragment a disk by backing it up to an external, erasing the internal disk and then restoring the data from the backup. After doing that all the files and directory entries will be in correct order-- until the next time you use the computer at which point the fragmentation process starts again!

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
Ok so I successfully defragged my HD w/Target Disk Mode using another mac and Drive Genius 2, but now when I open DiskWarrior and graph my HD, it still says that 31% of my files are out of order lol. What do I do about this? I'm starting to not trust that since I just put everything in order w/DG2......

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Ok so I successfully defragged my HD w/Target Disk Mode using another mac and Drive Genius 2, but now when I open DiskWarrior and graph my HD, it still says that 31% of my files are out of order lol. What do I do about this? I'm starting to not trust that since I just put everything in order w/DG2......

Ok well what you did with DG2 is a true defragmentation in which the files are physically relocated on the disk and rewritten so that they will occupy continuous space versus the scattered blocks they may have occupied before you ran DG2. DG2 does not reorder the directory entries relating to those files- it just updates them to reflect the new sectors the files now occupy.

The number and message that DW then gave you is misleading really- it is actually telling you that a certain percentage of the directory entries are out of order- not that files are fragmented. You just took care of the defragging with DG2.

What really matters is the true file fragmentation that DG2 analyzes and reports- not the directory entry order that DW reports.

If it really bugs you, you can run a DW pass on the disk right after completing a DG2 defragmentation then graph again. DW will then report 0 out of order. The DW run is optional as directory entries out of order will not affect performance to any appreciable degree.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
Ok thanks a lot. Yea I just figured I'd get everything in order and just ran DW and now everything is working great!!

skamel2009

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
thanks a lot

i registred to this site justto say thank you for your help , i had problem to reboot m macbook from cd , even by pressing andholding the c key, i didn't know that i have to reset the pram .:)

Try resetting the PRAM by holding down command-option-p-r on startup. That might allow you to boot from the CD.

cosnet

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
Hey.. I thought I would add.. I just had the scare of my life.. Trying to upgrade to Windows 7 in bootcamp. I was not having any luck so I decided to delete the partition using bootcamp utility in Mac OS x (Snow Leopard). Then repartition and start over fresh (instead of Vista upgrade). Mac reports error.. says to backup data and reinitialize Mac OS.. Holy crap.. I don't want to do that. Get Diskwarrior and repair disk. Says that it did.. reboot.. NO BOOTABLE DISK.. error. Won't boot from DVD, FIREWIRE, etc.

RESET PRAM and all is well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.