Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newmacchick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
So if you possibly obtained two G5 1.6 GHz single cores, with some finagling, would it be at all possible to create a dual core out of that? Would it involve different hardware or software? Or is it just impossible?

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
A dual core computer operates with a single processor, only with two cores on the die instead of one. Taking two separate processors and putting them together gives you a dual processor machine, not a dual core machine. There are Dual 1.8GHz Processor G5s available, but the dual core G5s only use one physical processor.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
'Ooh, nice use of "finagle."' - mysterious quote

Dual core and dual processors appear to the system the same (loosely speaking). The performance aspect is very different.

If you're speaking of somehow putting two physical processors (single core) into a single socket on a motherboard, well, I'll let logic sort this one out.

I highly doubt this, but I'll mention it anyway, XGrid works if you're doing certain kinds of work with 2 more computers.

newmacchick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Ah OK. So is there any way to combine them at all and get something faster than I had before? (My google searches have been a bit fruitless on this issue; thanks for responding!)

newmacchick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
'Ooh, nice use of "finagle."' - mysterious quote

Dual core and dual processors appear to the system the same (loosely speaking). The performance aspect is very different.

If you're speaking of somehow putting two physical processors (single core) into a single socket on a motherboard, well, I'll let logic sort this one out.
Finagle is one of my favorite verbs :)

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
Ah OK. So is there any way to combine them at all and get something faster than I had before? (My google searches have been a bit fruitless on this issue; thanks for responding!)

If your logic board only have one socket for processor, then it's physically impossible for you to fit two in there.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.

No. If you can afford it, wait for the new Mac Mini's. They should be in the order of 20-30x faster than whatever a 2x1.6 G5 is.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
So if you possibly obtained two G5 1.6 GHz single cores, with some finagling, would it be at all possible to create a dual core out of that? Would it involve different hardware or software? Or is it just impossible?

The single 1.6 G5s only had one socket on the motherboard to attach to. The dual processor models had 2 sockets. There's no way to put 2 of the 1.6 G5 processors onto one socket to make it a dual-core machine. If you want dual-core, you'd have to buy the Dual-core 2.0ghz+ models. You can get a dual processor with dual core 2.5ghz model so that has 4 cores total in the 2 sockets.

newmacchick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Thanks for answering my questions...I really don't want to buy anything; I've got two G5 machines here, both missing hard drives, one of which the case is trash and missing the RAM, so I'll be selling that one. Just wondering if there was anything I could do with it...all I really need is a fancy external hard drive :) I already own a Macbook Pro for most of my needs.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
They could be used as a really nice home audio/video server. That's what I plan on doing with mine soon.

If you use an external HDD, make sure it's Firewire if you plan to boot from it.

newmacchick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
They could be used as a really nice home audio/video server. That's what I plan on doing with mine soon.

If you use an external HDD, make sure it's Firewire if you plan to boot from it.
Ooh, that is a good idea...I was planning on installing Linux on one of them at first just to play around with it, and then perhaps later putting 10.5 on it. But yeah I have a lot of music and TV I need stored :D

liquid stereo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2005
Saint Paul
Yes

Get a fast switch (Myrinet, Infiniband, etc.) and learn to program in MPI or OpenMP. You should get close to 2x performance if your code is well-written.

I get 1.92.

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.