Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Hope robbieduncan didn't see that :eek: I was surprised to see it though :confused:

Lol! Depends on the Elise. Standard 120bhp ones aren't actually all that fast!

Edit I also not that the Elise is noted as "very wet" whereas the Abarth was in the dry. The Elise was faster than a V12 Vanquish (also in the very wet) showing just how much the weather matters (and how random and poor the TG track really is).

Wiki Power Board

hank-b

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2008
Can I just say, that was a Superb Will Young interview - I've no idea who Will Young is, but all that stuff about cushions, interior design and the Chelsea Flower Show was brilliantly surreal. I now want to see the "Will Young & Jeremy Clarkson Redecorate Surrey Houses" show.

- HB

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Lol! Depends on the Elise. Standard 120bhp ones aren't actually all that fast!

Edit I also not that the Elise is noted as "very wet" whereas the Abarth was in the dry. The Elise was faster than a V12 Vanquish (also in the very wet) showing just how much the weather matters (and how random and poor the TG track really is).

Wiki Power Board
Well defended good Sir ;)

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Extreme geeks ammoung us may remember that on the new TG, they planned to take the weather out of the equation by ALWAYS having the track wet - by using a sprinkler truck to wet it before runs.

You can actually see the results of that in the first Lambo Murciallago drive they did in series one - ribbons of damp tarmac.

However - it just didn't work, so they gave up :)

Doug

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Extreme geeks ammoung us may remember that on the new TG, they planned to take the weather out of the equation by ALWAYS having the track wet - by using a sprinkler truck to wet it before runs.

You can actually see the results of that in the first Lambo Murciallago drive they did in series one - ribbons of damp tarmac.

However - it just didn't work, so they gave up :)

Doug

It's not just the wet road surface though is it? You'd need to ensure constant temperature, wind and driver. There have been a few stigs. Current stig is much faster than old stig...

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
The Elise was faster than a V12 Vanquish (also in the very wet) showing just how much the weather matters

Nah, that just shows you how bad Aston Martin's are. :p

edesignuk said:
Well defended good Sir

Indeed, though you have to admit, there's something amusing about an Elise driver feeling the need to defend their cars performance against... against anything really, never mind a FIAT 500. :p :p :p

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Indeed, though you have to admit, there's something amusing about an Elise driver feeling the need to defend their cars performance against... against anything really, never mind a FIAT 500. :p :p :p

I felt it was expected of me :p Most of us Elise drivers are very mindful of the fact that many a hot-hatch is faster than us these days. At least until there is a corner :p:D

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
Thats the only problem, really, no noise!

I think I read somewhere that the 'noise' of these electric sportscars could be customised via externally facing speakers - so you could have one sound like a Ferrari if you wanted.

Presumably there's some sort of safety issue with silent cars traveling at 200mph anyway?!

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Can I just say, that was a Superb Will Young interview - I've no idea who Will Young is, but all that stuff about cushions, interior design and the Chelsea Flower Show was brilliantly surreal. I now want to see the "Will Young & Jeremy Clarkson Redecorate Surrey Houses" show.

- HB

He won the second reality TV music talent contest series that Simon Cowell ever did called "Pop Idol". Will Young is partly responsible for the scourge that is American/Australian Idol (and all of the variants) along with X Factor and the rest. His music is terrible too.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I think I read somewhere that the 'noise' of these electric sportscars could be customised via externally facing speakers - so you could have one sound like a Ferrari if you wanted.

Presumably there's some sort of safety issue with silent cars traveling at 200mph anyway?!

Well, there I guess there aren't too many blind people wandering on autobahns and racetracks.

Then there is the native fauna that respond to car noises.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Don't kill me if I'm years behind with this (probably just hurt me a little) but Top Gear is now on iTunes UK store!

Series 10 & 12 so far.

EDIT: *Sees post above* Cocks gun... BANG!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.