Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
OSX can't read/recognize anything plugged into it that is USB. I tried searching google and the forums but nothing. Anyone encounter this before?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Does it not recognize any drive, or just a specific one?

Does anything show up in Disk Utility?

phungy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Does it not recognize any drive, or just a specific one?

Does anything show up in Disk Utility?

Tried 3 USB pens and an external USB harddrive but no-go. Doesn't show up in Disk Utilities either.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Found the solution. Thanks for attempting to help me out r.j.s

I didnt see your last reply until just now, I'm glad you found it.

Would you post it here? That way someone else can find it if they have the same problem.

jeremyschultz

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2006
Clive, Iowa USA
My solution

I wish phungy had replied as well, because I just had this problem. I'll post my solution.

My USB drive failed to be recognized after OS X said I needed to force eject it because something was tying up the unmount process. I'm not sure what that was, but force eject wouldn't work either and I had to physically pull the USB drive out. After that it wouldn't be recognized.

My solution was Disk Utility, which did recognize the drive and said it was unmounted but "couldn't eject because it couldn't unmount the disk." After a couple tries with the eject (button on top of Disk Utility) the drive suddenly showed on my desktop in a grayed-out state (in the process of being ejected) and then it disappeared from Disk Utility. After that it worked normally.

I can't quite tell what happened but fiddling with the eject function in Disk Utility did the trick.

Jeremy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.