Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 11, 2008, 03:25 AM   #1
JNRidgway15
macrumors member

Parallels 4 'Released'

Just got an email from the Parallels team offering Parallels 4 upgrade downloading now post pics after I have installed it.

Quote:
Hello, Joshua Ridgway

Thank you for purchasing Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac - the leading solution to run Windows on a Mac.

We are happy to announce that Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac is now available. Easy, fast and powerful Windows on Mac computing just got even better! Learn more about Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac’s 50+ new features and enhancements.

Because you purchased Parallels Desktop 3.0 after September 1, 2008, you qualify for the FREE upgrade grace period program!
Your Upgrade Keys:

Keys

We welcome you to download Parallels Desktop 4.0 and install it on your Mac.

Please, provide this key to program after the installation.
Note: If you’re doing a fresh installation of Parallels Desktop 4.0 on a Mac then you’ll need an activation key from version 3.0.

If you have any questions about upgrading, please visit our upgrade FAQ page.

Thank you for choosing Parallels Desktop for Mac – the leading solution to run Windows on a Mac!

The Parallels Team

Last edited by JNRidgway15; Nov 11, 2008 at 04:27 AM.
JNRidgway15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 03:42 AM   #2
JNRidgway15
macrumors member

They must of sent the email by mistake its just a new build not version 4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	143679  
Old Nov 11, 2008, 03:45 AM   #3
dalvin200
macrumors 68040

lol!!

i upgraded my versio of 3.0 last night... i didn't see any mention of 4 though.. although i know 4 has been beta tested etc..
Old Nov 11, 2008, 03:48 AM   #4
robbieduncan

ars claim it's released and a whole heap faster. Note this is not a free upgrade unless you purchased recently...
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 03:54 AM   #5
dalvin200
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
ars claim it's released and a whole heap faster. Note this is not a free upgrade unless you purchased recently...
booo.. ars say that
Quote:
The normal retail price will remain the same at $79.99, but existing users of Parallels Desktop 3.0 can upgrade for 50 percent off until the end of November. If you purchased Desktop 3.0 after September 1, you get a free upgrade. Lucky lucky.
i upgraded mine in feb 2008!! so will have to pay to upgrade..
Old Nov 11, 2008, 03:58 AM   #6
JNRidgway15
macrumors member

Buggerd if I can find the right download link as the only one I can see is for 3.0 build 5626 November 5th and it has all the 3.0 badging
Old Nov 11, 2008, 04:05 AM   #7
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRidgway15 View Post
Buggerd if I can find the right download link as the only one I can see is for 3.0 build 5626 November 5th and it has all the 3.0 badging
Looks like the NDA/timeframe for the news release passed (as I got similar news on multiple RSS feeds), but the Parallels guys forgot to update their website
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 04:16 AM   #8
sammich
macrumors 601

So, the download link from

http://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/upgrade/

links to

http://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/upgrade/

Way to go.

ALSO, you should put inverted comma's around the 'Released' (< just like that) in the thread title, until you actually get the link to download it.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 04:30 AM   #9
JNRidgway15
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammich View Post
should put inverted comma's around the 'Released' (< just like that) in the thread title, until you actually get the link to download it.
Good Idea changed
Old Nov 11, 2008, 06:46 AM   #10
weckart
macrumors 68000

There is a link to Parallels 4, build 3522 date 9 November on the trials download page.

http://www.parallels.com/download/desktop/
weckart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:42 AM   #11
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Parallels 4.0 Promises Significant Performance Improvements

Parallels has announced the immediate availability of Parallels 4.0. Parallels allows Intel-Mac users to run Windows alongside Mac OS X.

The latest update to their Windows-virtualization software for Intel Macs promises new performance, security, backup and power saving features. Performance is said to be "up to 50% faster".
Quote:
Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac introduces support for DirectX 9, DirectX Pixel Shader 2.0 and OpenGL 2.0, providing fast video performance, while the Adaptive Hypervisor dynamically allocates resources to meet user needs. The responsiveness to all applications is further enhanced as the virtualization engine has been optimized to consume 15-30% less resources than previous versions.
This release also finally introduces support for up to 8 way symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) to take advantage of the multi-core CPUs found in all Macs. Other features include:
Quote:
- Improved Windows and Mac integration, True Drag & Drop and Copy & Paste, SmartX Technologies and Built-in Installation and Migration Tools.
- Adaptive Hypervisor, FastLane Architecture, up to 8 way SMP and 8 GB RAM plus 64-bit support for each VM, HyperBus and support for DirectX 9.0, DirectX Pixel Shader 2.0, and OpenGL 2.0.
- Parallels Internet Security powered by Kaspersky, Acronis True Image Home backup and restore, SmartGuard, PowerSaver, Full-hardware ACPI support and Acronis Disk Director Suite disk management.
- eMac OS X Leopard Server and Windows Server OS support, VM Directory, CLI and Scripting support, SDK and API, remote control from iPhone, PXE Boot, improved networking and VM Templates.
Version 4.0 retails for $79.99 and is available as a paid $39.99 upgrade to existing Parallels customers. A free trial is also available.

Update: Parallels is offering a $5 coupon through our affiliate partner.

Article Link: Parallels 4.0 Promises Significant Performance Improvements

Last edited by arn; Nov 11, 2008 at 11:17 AM.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:44 AM   #12
themoonisdown09
macrumors 601

I think I might actually buy this version. I've used trial versions of the others, but couldn't get myself to purchase it.
themoonisdown09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:46 AM   #13
oyebto
macrumors regular

is the graphics performance better than fusion?
oyebto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:46 AM   #14
amusiccale
macrumors 6502

If it really is that much faster, I might have to go for it.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:49 AM   #15
themoonisdown09
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyebto View Post
is the graphics performance better than fusion?
I haven't ever used Fusion, but I'm sure once people start downloading the new version, we'll see some comparisons then.
themoonisdown09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:49 AM   #16
Sky Blue

I'll be sticking with Fusion.
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:50 AM   #17
junior
macrumors 6502a

Looks very interesting. Can't wait to try it out.
junior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:54 AM   #18
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Yea, I've used trials for both Fusion and Parallels. The latest builds, other than 4.0 for Parallels. Couldn't bring myself to buy them. I'll wait until other people have tested it and then I will buy either.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:55 AM   #19
John Jacob
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to John Jacob Send a message via Skype™ to John Jacob
I'm voting negative on this thread...

...because I just bought VmWare a few days ago. And even if VmWare releases a new edition that competes with the new version of Parallels, I'll have to pay to upgrade to that one.
John Jacob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:58 AM   #20
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
wow, this seems like a huge update. i might have to buy this version, instead of just using the trials. glad that it's out today also. i wonder if it's in stores?
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:58 AM   #21
Mindflux
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jacob View Post
I'm voting negative on this thread...

...because I just bought VmWare a few days ago. And even if VmWare releases a new edition that competes with the new version of Parallels, I'll have to pay to upgrade to that one.
So? you'd have to buy parallels outright anyway.
Mindflux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:01 AM   #22
John Jacob
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to John Jacob Send a message via Skype™ to John Jacob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
So? you'd have to buy parallels outright anyway.
Yeah, but if I'd known the new version was coming a few days ago, I'd have bought that and not VmWare.
John Jacob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:01 AM   #23
Ferroque
macrumors newbie

I'm picking this up immediately. Fusion always has, and apparently always will be crap. Every revision has the same problems. At least Parallels is generally stable, and it's Coherence feature makes Fusion's Unity look like some kind of alpha phase concept.

It's too bad because I've used VMware for years and don't mind the enterprise product line, but having used both (Parallels & Fusion all versions) for several months side by side for work, Parallels owns, even if Fusion was more efficient, Parallels is just more stable and far less buggy. I'm very curious to see how this new version fares out running 4+ VMs at once let alone this video acceleration.
Ferroque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:04 AM   #24
gruler
macrumors newbie

Parallels ROCKS!!!

I have used Parallels for about 18 months and it has been a great purchase. The only problems that I experience was occasional performance degradation.
I will definitely be upgrading. I have not used any other VM products and can't speak to games under parallels. But for my needs I highly recommend Parallels.
gruler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:04 AM   #25
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Won't give those thieves any of my money ever again.

I bought Parallel's 2.0 and was told (and advertised on their website) that Parallel's 3.0 was going to be a free upgrade. Was it heck. They are doing the same with version 4.0.

I was so annoyed about loosing out on Parallel's 3.0 that I got it by other means. I already paid for it, they falsely advertised.

50% performance boost does sound nice however, but where does this boost come from? Optimisation of Parallel's code or making OS X sluggish and Parallel's fast?
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion