Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parkeyb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Hey guys, forgive me if this has already been mentioned, and or beat-to-death, but why is there no Nike+ compatibility for the Shuffle? I don't know about you guys but when i go out running between 5-10 miles i dont want to have some clunky thing strapped to my arm, leg, waist, or wherever. I don't understand why Nike+ isn't compatible with the obviously runners geared Shuffle, I suppose i would also be open to suggestions for iPod Nano running set-ups.

Thanks guys, sorry if that came off as a rant.

:apple: Parkeyb :apple:

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
The iPod Shuffle has no screen to tell you how far you have run, nor has it got any method of attaching a receiver.

The iPod Nano really isn't 'clunky'.

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
The only way that you can connect something to the iPod shuffle is through the headphone jack. Even if a modified version of the receiver is developed, how would you hear the music after you have connected the receiver? There would be nowhere left to plug in the earphones.
Also, with no screen or click wheel on the shuffle, you can't control the Nike+ kit. And like a previous poster have stated, you can't track your progress.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I have an iPhone (which also doesn't work the Nike+ system) and I got rid of my nano (which I only used for the Nike+ system). After waitng for a while, I caved and bought the Nike+ wrist-band. It's a little rubber band (like the livestrong bracelets.. just bigger) with basic info. It comes with the shoe piece and the display unhooks from the wristband to be pluggd into a USB port... the website works the exact same. It's a work around so that I didn't have to buy a nano and could use my phone.. it's light and hardly notice it on my wrist... you could still use your shuffle for music and have it be lightweight

parkeyb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
thanks jon i think i'll check that out. And to the previous posters I don't really care about my progress until after my run, I want to see my stats afterwards not during.

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
I almost went with the wrist band route but figured I would use my youch a few times to see if the size bothered me and after the first couple miles I deceied it was not a problem so I never ordered the wristband, but it looks pretty slick

On a somewhat related note I also purchased one of the pouches designed to hold the transmitter so I don't have to use Nike running shoes which are not my favorite!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yeah, the wrist band does seem like the right solution for you. I really like Nike+ with my iPod nano, although I'm not using it for my winter running because it's all treadmill based short runs.

On a somewhat related note I also purchased one of the pouches designed to hold the transmitter so I don't have to use Nike running shoes which are not my favorite!

What I do (since I don't run on Nikes) is cut a slot in the upper surface of the tongue, right around the last crossing of the laces closest to the toes. Then I just slip the sensor into the tongue, and it's very secure there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.