Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I was at an Apple Store in another state yesterday and they were selling the MacBook Air 1.6 for $1,599. I bought a MacBook 2.4 though. I had thought that the MacBook Air was $1,799 and when I look online that is what I see.

Anyone else come across this?

sriggles

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
I think that is the previous Air with 1.6/80HD. Best Buy sells the previous version Air for $1,299 new.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I didn't look closely at the specs, other than to see the little white card in the plexi stand said 1.6, but I have never known to Apple to sell new on the floor products which were past revisions. The Brick & Mortar Stores always match the online Apple Store when new product comes out. This wasn't a refurb or otherwise refreshed return. And Apple Stores only price those by individual machine.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Our local Apple retail store here still has Rev A MBAs in stock for $1,599. Of course they are currently $300 less at Best Buy so that is probably why they haven't moved very many of them there at the Apple Store yet.

Here they are on Apple's online store as well...

Link

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Thanks for the info on this thread. I'm planning on buying the cheapest MacBook Air for my wife. She has a 15" 2.16ghz MacBook Pro, but has a work laptop she needs to always take with her so wants something real skinny and light to also travel with. Would it be worth it to buy the $1299 previous version? Or is it better to go with the $1799 new version w/ a student discount (I'm a student) taking the price down to $1699. I saw in a thread on the macbook that in retaill stores, some people were getting $200 off with their educational discount rather than the $100.

Are there any other promotions running? free iPod, printer, etc?

Last month, my brother had something work out for him nicely with the free printer promotion. He bought a MacBook last month using the education discount (he's a student) so we saved $100 off of retail w/ that, and got a $100 printer free after rebate. We didn't care much for the printer and were just planning on selling it.

Well Apple mailed us the $100 rebate check right away and we cashed it. And when they tried to deliver us the printer, they kept running into problems (because we are at a temporary residence) so the printer was just returned to Apple and they refunded us back the $99 we paid for the printer - but we still got to keep the rebate check.

So ultimatley, rather than have to keep $100 printer we didn't want, we basically saved an extra $100 off the MacBook instead, making the final price $1400.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.