Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevhui

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Hi,

i am considering buying an Apple TV but not sure it can do the following:

1. I saw there is an application called Remote for iPhone / iPod Touch. It can remotely control both iMac and Apple TV.

2. Can i use the iPhone Remote to control the iTune library of my iMac to the Apple TV? I want to do that because my iMac is in my bedroom and I don't want to copy all the content from iMac to Apple TV.

Thanks.

Kevin

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
You can do what you want. The remote app lets you chose what you want to control. Even though the content playing on the :apple:TV is coming from your iMac you will just need to control the :apple:TV

It is by far my favorite app. I basically got a Sonos equivalent system for a lot less money! I control the mac mini in my daughters room (she like to have music to fall asleep to. I can start and stop music via the app a lot easier than running upstairs to control a CD player. I also use it operate the :apple:TV in the family room and occasional the the Mac Mini in the master bedroom. I also have it set up to operate the office iMac, but almost never find the need to control that computer. Works like a champ every time

kevhui

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Wow, that's very good news.

Can a Mac Mini do the same job?

Also about the video quality : I have a Mac Mini but when I plug it to my Sony 40" HD LCD TV, the quaility is poor (I cannot get 1080p resolution). This kind of "forcing" myself to my an Apple TV.

Thanks again.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Wow, that's very good news.

Can a Mac Mini do the same job?

Also about the video quality : I have a Mac Mini but when I plug it to my Sony 40" HD LCD TV, the quaility is poor (I cannot get 1080p resolution). This kind of "forcing" myself to my an Apple TV.

Thanks again.

How old is your Mac mini? Older ones will definitely have a problem with 1080p.

kevhui

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
I bought my Mac Mini in July 2008. So it is quite new.

If the Mac Mini can do what Apple TV does and can output a good resolution (1080i or 1080p), then i can save some money.

Thanks.

kevhui

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
mshay,

Sorry when I read you advice twice, I have one point that is not 100% sure.

Did you mean I can use the iPhone Remote to control the Apple TV instead of the iMac? If that's the case, would the iPhone show contents of the iMac? I mean, just like using the iPod with ability to dispay album arts, serach for song etc. on the iPhone.

I asked because I called Apple and they said I can only control the content play local to Apple TV.

Just want to make sure befor I buy the Apple TV.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.