Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Has anyone else tried setting up an encrypted drive?

Wow, what POS software comes with this thing!! It claims to be Leopard and Time Machine compatible.

After installing "Freecom Hard Drive Pro" software, for which there is no updated version for OS X since last year's version on the freecom.com support website:

- it enables the "backup" button on the HD, which, rather than triggering Time Machine, seems to back up independently from TimeMachine. I stopped it as it was apparently copying stuff over to a different location than Time Machine

- the only reason I bothered to install the software was to use encryption. After installing the software, the manual instructs the user to press the "Encryption" button. This brings up: "you don't have an encrypted partition set up yet" (good). Then click "Configure" / "Modify Encryption":

"UNKNOWN EXCEPTION GETENCRYPTION" :eek:

From there it goes downhill!!

Freecom didn't notice this minor detail????????

Perhaps I am being too harsh and someone can come to my rescue with a good pointer? Please!!

macrem

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
(removed instrux to install Freecom software)

Note: I instead recommend staying as far away as possible from Freecom software on OS X!!!

I lost access to my encrypted partition and could not retrieve my Time Machine backup.

There is no uninstaller nor instructions to uninstall Freecom's software.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
If anyone has experience uninstalling Freecom's DataTank configuration software for Macintosh, please post steps!

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Drag and drop the app to the trash, or for extra brownie points use the application Appdelete (It's free), job done.

Also don't bump your posts, it's frowned upon and against Forum Rules.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Drag and drop the app to the trash, or for extra brownie points use the application Appdelete (It's free), job done.

Also don't bump your posts, it's frowned upon and against Forum Rules.
Thanks for your advice, Freecom software is "special". There is a pref panel, a jar file (not an app bundle) and it did some other stuff cause I had to reboot after installing. I know how to delete an App and its associated user files.

I just ran a search: find / -name "*Freecom*"

then deleted the result set of about a dozen items. Hopefully that took care of everything. Aside from some log entries & crash reports, I can no longer find any trace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.