Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonesboom

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Hey, I just bought an iMac G5 off ebay and today I tried to use the Tiger install dvd because the previous owner had deleted software like textedit, etc.

Anyway, I put the disc in and clicked on Install Mac OS X, then clicking restart.

Now here's the problem, once the iMac shuts down and begins to restart, as it is on the grey screen you can hear the disc being read, then as the background goes a different shade of grey and the Apple logo appears, a minute or so passes and then the iMac begins making a lot of noise. I went away for 10 minutes, came back and it was still doing the same thing.

So I'm basically looking for help because I really want to erase and reinstall everything, so help. tips, experience in this would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

sOwL

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Nerd Cave
could the dvd be corrupted?

if not, then the cd drive could be damaged. Have u tried using it for eg. watching a dvd movie?

what kind of sounds? does it sound like when ur hard drive is in heavy usage or is it the cd drive?

bonesboom

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
i dont think its the drive
i installed a game from a disc fine
the sounds are the actual hard drive
its like really loud like when its being used heavy

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Sounds like the DVD.

Do you have another computer to try firewire boot?

Is your tiger DVD black or gray in color? Did it came with the iMac?

Wow, deleted text edit. What a smart previous owner.

sOwL

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Nerd Cave
as i thought. unfortunatelly, i cant understand why it would do that. if its really trying to boot from the dvd drive and not from the hdd, why would the hdd be used at all? What i would do:

Open disk utility and check the consistancy of your hdd. S.M.A.R.T status, filesystem, everything, even repair permissions.

When rebooting, try holding down "c" key. This is for manually choosing to boot from dvd. Ive heard that some times a corrupted system could not boot from the chosen drive before rebooting.

bonesboom

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
the disc is black and came with it as far as i know
i tried the c holding down but nothing changed
i just read holding alt helped some

sOwL

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Nerd Cave
the black disk didnt came with the iMac. Its the retail version, but that means nothing, the retail version SHOULD work just fine. And yeah, it could help if you actually made it to copy it to another DVD. Worths a try. Also, you should contact the guy that sold that to you and ask him why the install dvd doesnt work

EDIT: It might be that ur EFI is corrupted? Someone that knows better on that could help

sOwL

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Nerd Cave
mhm its hard to explain. The EFI is the software that OSX runs on. Like, before booting osx, or without even having osx installed, theres still some software that would let you choose from which drive to boot etc. Think it like BIOS in windows, if youve been a windows user anytime

bonesboom

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
So I bought an Imac G5 off eBay the other day, and apparently they lost the Install discs that came with it, and thus bought a 2nd hand retail Tiger Install Disc package to sell with the iMac. It's the black box one, but as I've mentioned previously, when being prompted to restart, I mean after said restart, it just stays on the grey screen with the Apple logo and the machine begins to make very loud sounds, this lasts up to 10 minutes before I decide to turn it off.

So I'm thinking maybe my disc is corrupt or broken, or it's the wrong install disc version for my Mac. Here are the specifications.

iMac G5 17" screen with iSight
PowerMac12,1
PowerPC G5 (3.1)
1.9GHz
512MB

Does anyone know which Tiger Install disc version comes with or is needed for this version iMac? Or alternatively, if I purchased Leopard, would that work on my iMac?

Thanks.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Does anyone know which Tiger Install disc version comes with or is needed for this version iMac? Or alternatively, if I purchased Leopard, would that work on my iMac?

Thanks.

Based on apple-history.com, your model was introduced October 2005, after the first release of Tiger in April. If your Tiger disk is 10.4.0, it probably can't boot that Mac (or you have a hardware/disc problem). You would need a later version of Tiger retail (10.4.3 or 10.4.6), or use Leopard retail.

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
For Leopard -

General requirements

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

512MB of memory
DVD drive for installation
9GB of available disk space
Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
Some features require Apple's .Mac service; fees apply.

bonesboom

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I think I'm going to go ahead and purchase a retail copy of Leopard. Thanks for the help guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.