Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackz5o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Just today, when I plugged my iPhone in to charge/sync, the Windows USB sound came up but my phone would not charge. iTunes did not recognize the phone either. Anybody know whats wrong with it?

I have restarted both my computer and phone.. wall charging works fine.

Thanks

jimleszczynski

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Mount Pleasant, MI
Just today, when I plugged my iPhone in to charge/sync, the Windows USB sound came up but my phone would not charge. iTunes did not recognize the phone either. Anybody know whats wrong with it?

Thanks

Have you charged or synced your device with this computer before?

Ninja Guidan

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005

Thanks

Try a different USB port on the PC. Samething happens with my wife's iPhone. One USB port won't charge or won't be recognized in iTunes, the other will.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
some usb ports are powered, others run off a hub ( or internal hub) and are not powered

can you give us more details ?

jackz5o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Have you charged or synced your device with this computer before?

Yes this is the primary computer that I have been using to charge and sync everyday.

Try a different USB port on the PC. Samething happens with my wife's iPhone. One USB port won't charge or won't be recognized in iTunes, the other will.

The port I initially tried on was used for the past 3 month. I did try on other ports as well and it still didn't work

some usb ports are powered, others run off a hub ( or internal hub) and are not powered

can you give us more details ?

All 10 of my USB ports are powered and I tried more than half of them. The same ports always worked before so I don't know why it doesn't now. :confused:

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Do you have another USB cable you can try? Even though it is still working through the wall charger, sometimes USB can be down right picky.

jackz5o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Wow, there was a piece of dust inside the USB end of the cable and it was blocking the full connection lol. I blew it out along with the USB ports on my computer and now everything is working fine..

I don't know how that same cable could still work from the AC charger with the dust in there though.. :confused:

Thanks for the help everyone lol.

IIIMPower

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
I've been searching around for a while for this same question online and can't find a good answer. My iPhone 4S is also not charging or syncing when connected via USB to my macbook pro. However, it will charge with a car or wall charger. It's definitely a problem with the phone because I can sync/charge my brother's iPhone 4 with the same usb cord and same computer. I checked for dust in the dock connector and there isn't any. I'm very confused why it would just randomly stop working? :confused:

Klasniedryg

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2010
same issue iphone 4 charges from wall only

I've been searching around for a while for this same question online and can't find a good answer. My iPhone 4S is also not charging or syncing when connected via USB to my macbook pro. However, it will charge with a car or wall charger. It's definitely a problem with the phone because I can sync/charge my brother's iPhone 4 with the same usb cord and same computer. I checked for dust in the dock connector and there isn't any. I'm very confused why it would just randomly stop working? :confused:

Did you ever fix the issue? I have the same thing with the iphone4. I will post a new thread about it.

In Utopia

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2008
iPhone along with a lot of other toys don't like aftermarket USB connectors as well as being prone not to make connection with the least little bit of dust in them.
I was having the same problem on a second computer (non Mac) until I bit the bullet and bought an Apple connecter, no more problems.
Got a powered USB octopus and 4 of the 8 are hit and miss when connected to a device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.