Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
I plan on buying an iphone soon and plan on using it at the gym when I lift weights. I saw there are some apps for weight lifting logs. Now if you are listening to music and then go into an app, does the music stop?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It works, but I notice that many games don't perform as well when the iPod is playing. So even though it can, it's not always a good idea to play music and run a program at the same time. Other programs that don't use the processor as much are fine.

nothing can run in the background.

Except the phone, SMS, e-mail, alarm clock, calendar/contact syncing, and music from the iPod. All of those things work in the background.

kameko

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
I plan on buying an iphone soon and plan on using it at the gym when I lift weights. I saw there are some apps for weight lifting logs. Now if you are listening to music and then go into an app, does the music stop?

depends. if you use the regular ipod app then it will continue to play. if you use ANY sort of music app like last.fm, tuner, etc etc then yes they will close when you use another app. jailbroken iphones can somewhat get around this, but other than that...

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Actually it depends on how well the App is designed. Trism, for example, supports all first party notifications, such as accessing iPod controls, receiving texts, and other notifications. Other apps can over-ride the iPod functionality with their own sounds, which is annoying to say the least.

Oh, and if you had ever used any function of the phone CoacoPuffs you would know that first party apps can run in the background. Every received a call while in Safari?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Yes.

The iPod music player will play music in the background, but only if the foreground app doesn't ask to take over the audio session, or max out the CPU or gfx (which will cause any audio to glitch).

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
:confused:
So why reply if you don't know?

people on this forum will type and open their mouths even though they have no clue what they are talking about

you get used to it

to answer the OP ipod music is about the only thing that will run in the background ( also runs when the phone is off)

it kind of irks me that a lot of audio streaming programs do not run when you lock your iphone ( its a huge battery drain to have the screen on, especially when its no needed )

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
:confused:
So why reply if you don't know?
ahahaha, and the purpose of your response?

people on this forum will type and open their mouths even though they have no clue what they are talking about

you get used to it
and I suppose repeating the same response is useful, too? come on kids, this is how this forum has "always" been. mostly stupid questions with mostly stupid answers.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008

and I suppose repeating the same response is useful, too? come on kids, this is how this forum has "always" been. mostly stupid questions with mostly stupid answers.

Hey man I call them how I see them. I'm part of several other forums, where people who respond usually know what they are talking about ( car forum, medical information forum, etc)

guess you didn't read the rest of my response, I also added that the iPod music is the audio program that will work with the screen off as well.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

So you're just perpetuating the uselessness of 90% of the content in here? Good job

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.