Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
There is a long standing issue with people bickering over iTouch vs. iPod Touch.

It derails the thread and as I have said previously it is getting really quite tiresome. We all know what the person means.

If you notice posts regarding this issue please use the report post button
report.gif

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I have to agree, as much as I find people referring to it as an iTouch annoying, going out and correcting somebody every time they call it an iTouch is even more annoying than calling it an iTouch in the first place. We all know what they are referring to, just let it be.

Reactions: CreatorCode

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Ugh. Bleh.
I guess the iTouch police will have to retire.
:(
I used to correct everybody for that.
I guess I will get banned if I try.
But since I'm addicted to MacRumors I don't want to take the chance.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
No chance of a wordfilter, then?
Well, I guess we've had I-pods for so long...

Brewerpaul

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Clifton Park,NY
I'm new to the i world (I have an iPod Touch on loan, and plan on buying a 2nd generation very soon) and plead guilty to calling it iTouch.
I'm thinking that it would be even easier to call the device iT...let the flaming begin!
flamethrower.gif

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
So as someone who took much offense the the latter of the two names, where is the line to be drawn?
Is BOLD to much?
Or what? i would rather not be banned, so it would be nice to know

(or am i just dumb and it is just that simple, NO correcting/nagging?)

MacsBestFriend

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
upstate ny (purgatory)
I'm new to the i world (I have an iPod Touch on loan, and plan on buying a 2nd generation very soon) and plead guilty to calling it iTouch.
I'm thinking that it would be even easier to call the device iT...let the flaming begin!
flamethrower.gif

Pretty off topic but my mom grew up in the Cohoes-Troy area! :eek: You know the Chapmans by any chance? :p

No correcting or nagging (especially nagging).

Could I make a thread for people to discuss why they like either name? ;)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Could I make a thread for people to discuss why they like either name? ;)

I think you will find that this particular horse has been beaten to death and then flogged some more as well as helping foster the behaviour that we are trying to avoid.

I never do that.
I often do say "what's an iTouch" but I also give them advice on what their thread was about.

While this is not true I will still address the general question as you seem quite intent on continuing this.

Firstly we will have a look at the forum rules

Corrections. There is no need to point out another poster's spelling or grammatical errors unless you think it is causing confusion. Remember that not all members are native English speakers. Communication, not correctness, is our goal.

So from this we can take that people understand what the question is and what thery are referring too therefore no need for a correction.

Common sense. In the end, use common sense. When you are about to post messages just to increase your post count, or post something you think is funny at someone else's expense, or just to make the first post in a news thread, think to yourself "Is this annoying?" If the answer is yes, don't do it.

Any ongoing actions that make more work for everyone else.

Taking these forward when you post saying Whats an iTouch you are making a joke at someones expense and if this causes the thread to be derailed you are making more work for the moderators.

If the question is placed as part of a long answer then it is quite clear you understand what the post is about. As people are likely to respond to any comments made in the post this then (historically) becomes derailed and you are posting a joke made at the OPs expense.

This topic has created lots and lots of work for the moderators.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
The interesting thing about this issue is that on the one hand it's clear that "iTouch" seems to be a natural nickname for this device for a lot of people, and a lot of other people seem to find that particular nickname very grating.

I don't happen to like that nickname, and I have 'corrected' people in the past, usually gently, but out of respect for the mods and this great forum (I can see how this must be a big pain for them), from this point on I won't say anything about what someone calls something unless I really can't tell what they're talking about, and then I'll just ask them to clarify without being sarcastic or snarky. Z'ok, no?

It's a little bit of a shame we can't still debate this naming convention, but I remind myself that this forum is neither my house nor the public street; I am a guest here and should expect to have to abide by the house rules. If this is one of the rules, so be it -- this is still a great forum!

ZuneMan?

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Apple Store
There really shouldnt be any fuss about the name.

Like some people call a spanner a wrench. :D

Cantelope is called rock melon in some countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.