Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Gizmodo reports that the iPhone Dev Teams has unlocked the iPhone 3G and are planning to release the software on December 31st.
While it took a little longer than the free iPhone EDGE unlock, it does sound like this is the real deal. The team is claiming a successful unlock—now the next step is to package it up in a user-friendly GUI app like Pwnage Tool.
"Unlocking" is the process by which customers can break the SIM-lock that ties the iPhone to one specific carrier. There are a number of caveats to the hack so interested readers should see the Dev Team blog.

Article Link: iPhone 3G Unlocked, Software Release on New Years

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Cool i'm on 2.2 firmware with the new baseband so i have to wait a bit longer, doesn't matter to me thou, going to unlock when my contract is out and that's not before 2010 and i figure a hack for the newest firmware are available then.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
This will make everyone happy...everyone except Apple. This will definitely increase the percentage of unlocked iPhones by far, and possibly reduce the amount of Apps sold in the App Store (now that you can download the hacked ipa file for free).

acvball92

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
Fairfield County, CT
This will make everyone happy...everyone except Apple. This will definitely increase the percentage of unlocked iPhones by far, and possibly reduce the amount of Apps sold in the App Store (now that you can download the hacked ipa file for free).

It won't upset Apple, it will upset AT&T though.:)

jmann

macrumors 604
I wonder once AT&T reads this, how fast they'll get Apple to push an update :D.

The update has already been "pushed" all of the new iphones that come with the 2.2 firmware already installed are out of luck for the unlock that the dev team is releasing. I'm sure AT&T isn't worried at all, because only phones in current use can be possibly unlocked if they haven't updated to stock 2.2. Early adopters have the advantage here. ;)

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
while I have a legally unlocked one, its still good to see them finally cracking the code.
well done dev team

current

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2006
sigh

And so I will be able to unlock my iPhone 3G. I live in Europe and travel all the time. What did Apple think I was going to do? Pay ridiculous roaming charges with those bloated, useless mobil providers? So now, all those like me will always hold back on downloading upgrades from Apple fearing the unlock being disabled. So what if someone comes up with a virus? While I love Apple products, I can only hope that Apple gets a big bashing one day for this stupid locking. iPhone locking may prove to be one big boomerang. Just a matter of time till it hits...

jmann

macrumors 604
And so I will be able to unlock my iPhone 3G. I live in Europe and travel all the time. What did Apple think I was going to do? Pay ridiculous roaming charges with those bloated, useless mobil providers? So now, all those like me will always hold back on downloading upgrades from Apple fearing the unlock being disabled. So what if someone comes up with a virus? While I love Apple products, I can only hope that Apple gets a big bashing one day for this stupid locking. iPhone locking may prove to be one big boomerang. Just a matter of time till it hits...

You can still unlock your iphone if you still have either firmware 2.1 on your iphone or your updated your iphone through pwnage tool and preserved the 2.1 baseband. And as long as you keep tabs on this blog whenever an update comes out you will be safe to update through their safe methods. :D

Masquerade

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2007
this confirms that dev team works better than these iphone developers at apple...
come on, where the copy paste and that and that? im getting really mad and its christmas time.

bizzaregood

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
MA, US
Copy paste?

Really copy paste is now all we need. Devteam is all set (expect ipod2g). The iphone is really really good as it is now. Copy paste, and turn by turn GPS, push for apps. and then we have a near perfect phone.... computer?... device.

Idea for developers double tap and drag on 2nd tap, once wanted text is highlighted. lift finger. click a copy button somewhere on the keyboard. Which then turns into a past button and then latter paste. Store the text in a temp file. once the text has been pasted, have the temp file cleared.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Finally.
I suppose this will be a good thing for when I get an iPhone?
At least now they can start working on jailbreakin the 2G iPod touch.

shiunn

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2006
do you think an used but unlocked 3G will cost more than a new 3G (pay as u go)?
what about new and unlocked 3g? wait...don't have one of those on 2.1

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
Arn, this really deserves a place on the front page news. Many people in countries who don't sell iPhones officially waited a LONG time for this.

blurtigo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2003
United Kingdom
Yes! :d

Been waiting for this announcement!

Can't WAIT to unlock my Pay-As-You-Go white iPhone 3G and get back on Orange (UK).

O2's coverage is *****, and they are literally RAPING me with Pay-As-You-Go top-ups at the moment =(

Roll on 1/1/09! :D

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
So What?

What good is it? You HAVE to be locked into a contract before they will give you a 3G iPhone.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Took a friend the other day to get their iPhone 3G PAYG with O2 unlocked at our local O2 store, £10 and two minutes later and now enjoying it with Virgin.

blurtigo, you do know any owned phone (i.e. not in contract, in PAYG you own the handset), the operator has to unlock any phone on request by the customer? Ofcom come down on telcos quite hard over this.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
What good is it? You HAVE to be locked into a contract before they will give you a 3G iPhone.

There will be people that currently have an iPhone 3G with AT&T contract and can simply buy a 'replacement' iPhone and activate it and sell the old one unlocked.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Took a friend the other day to get their iPhone 3G PAYG with O2 unlocked at our local O2 store, £10 and two minutes later and now enjoying it with Virgin.

blurtigo, you do know any owned phone (i.e. not in contract, in PAYG you own the handset), the operator has to unlock any phone on request by the customer? Ofcom come down on telcos quite hard over this.

Europe is different.

Tenorsaw

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
I hardly doubt that this will hurt at&t, especially now that T-Mobile's 3G operates on a different band. Also, you are still required to sign a contract in order to get one. Ebay is always an option, but again, in the U.S. you're losing functionality by going with T-Mobile.

KBenton

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008
Awesome!

I have the 3g unlocked with a simunlock for 2.1 firmware.

Does this mean i will not need the chip anymore if i unlock the software?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.