Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazygregg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
I am thinking of buying a new Macbook and was wondering if they are good for gaming at all?
I'd basically be playing WOW, SL and not much more than that...

how do those games run on the MB?
What about First person shooters?

thx
gregg

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Macbook is only as good as any other laptop without a dedicated GPU.

Macbook Pro has one - and will do better. But no laptop in general is designed for gaming.

(obviously there are exceptions - but Apple doesn't have a product line that fits into this arena)

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
There have been sooo many threads on this. Please use the search feature before posting. As for the actual question, don't expect anything approaching amazing. The GMA950 is a fine card for less intensive/old games like RCT3, but won't be able to handle what you want with decent settings.

lazygregg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
the new macbooks hae the intel 3100 embedded graphics.
isnt that a bit better than the previous embedded graphics card?

sure the new MB arent gaming computers but can they at least run SL & WOW good?

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
For any 3D environment, a dedicated GPU will run circles around a "shared" or "integrated" video solution.

Do a search for 3D benchmark testing on the chipset you're looking at, vs anything with a dedicated GPU.

I haven't purchased a computer in the past 5 years without a dedicated video card, so I can't say for sure.

vtecyo

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2007
New Zealand
if graphic quality isn't a concern. i think you will be able to play it on macbook.
my mate's got a similar spec (to macbook) pc laptop, and he can play wow on it. so, i dont see why you can't do it on a MB. just bear in mind, you might want to add more Ram and set graphic to the lowest setting. again, don't expect to much.

fly251suzuki

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2008
alright. some of these people are right some are wrong. the new macbooks are actually failry decent for those kind of games. and you mentioned first person shooter games. i play COD4 on mine and it rocks. if you go to apple.com and read about the macbooks it actually says great for games such as COD4. but if you are looking for great gaming computer for a cheap price i reconmend either a XPS 630 or a alienware aurora(alienware aurora blows the xps out of the water for the price. i mean amazing for the price). but if you are interested in only a gaming laptop check out the alienware site and there laptops. there great. trust me.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
I'm playing WoW on my 2.4 Ghz Aluminum MacBook and it runs perfectly. Looks great too. No lag at all. As for SL I am not sure, have not tested it.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
alright. some of these people are right some are wrong. the new macbooks are actually failry decent for those kind of games. and you mentioned first person shooter games. i play COD4 on mine and it rocks. if you go to apple.com and read about the macbooks it actually says great for games such as COD4. but if you are looking for great gaming computer for a cheap price i reconmend either a XPS 630 or a alienware aurora(alienware aurora blows the xps out of the water for the price. i mean amazing for the price). but if you are interested in only a gaming laptop check out the alienware site and there laptops. there great. trust me.

:rolleyes: Next time, check the data on the thread before you post. December 2007 = talking about the plastic MacBooks...

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Don't forget this thread is from 2007 and was referring to the old MacBooks, not the new alum' ones. The new ones with the GeForce perform much better with gaming. WoW runs fine. I'm wondering how WAR runs..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.