Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSecks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
I know this has been discussed many times, but all of the discussions I can find are from before the 120 came out or when it was really new.

My previous iPod was a 2gb nano, which has always been full, and i've had to change my music around [~6gb music collection.] So, I need a new iPod, and for the past two days I've been trying to figure out if I should get the 120 or the 160. Although I only have ~6gb music, I could fill up the rest of it with video as soon as I get it, since I rip my entire movie collection onto my computer. I could also rip it again as apple lossless, which will take up some space too.

So far what I have:

+ longer battery life [ +1hr video, +4hr music ]
+ 40gb
- no genius
- less updates

+ slimmer
+ newer [ more updates ]
+ genius
+ cheaper
+ more responsive click wheel
+ free engraving
- 40gb less

So, anyone else, maybe someone who has both, have any tips on what to get?

MacAlpha

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Great White North
To me the difference is the extra battery life vs. the added cost. Given the amount of music you have, I don't think the space should be a factor. For me, I have a ton of video, but video isn't the same as music for me. I don't feel the need to keep it all with me. I just keep 10 or so movies that I might want to watch (or if I am traveling, up to 20), plus some music videos and TV shows.

My brother has the new 120GB classic and likes it. I have an older 80GB (and a 1G touch 32GB and I find that I like the touch better because of the bigger screen size. The difference in storage doesn't really matter to me (I have 10,000 songs and about 500 hours of video on my computer).

iSecks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
To me the difference is the extra battery life vs. the added cost. Given the amount of music you have, I don't think the space should be a factor. For me, I have a ton of video, but video isn't the same as music for me. I don't feel the need to keep it all with me. I just keep 10 or so movies that I might want to watch (or if I am traveling, up to 20), plus some music videos and TV shows.

My brother has the new 120GB classic and likes it. I have an older 80GB (and a 1G touch 32GB and I find that I like the touch better because of the bigger screen size. The difference in storage doesn't really matter to me (I have 10,000 songs and about 500 hours of video on my computer).

Have you noticed a difference in battery life between the 80 and the 120? I'd think the 80 and the 160 probably have around the same battery life, since they were made at the same time.

pinback pro

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008
thanks for that list of pros and cons between the two. i am considering the same thing, and i've been wondering the difference. the big plus for me is the genius. i use it ALL the time. i love it. i always buy full albums and like to listen to the whole thing. but lately, i've just been picking a song, hitting genius in itunes and letting it rip! its too awesome. and to have that on an ipod would be oh so nice.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
the thicker one looks kinda weird. Besides, I doubt your battery will be strong enough to listen to 160 gb of stuff in one charge!

Go with the newer model.

On the other hand, keep in mind that engraving makes your iPod worthless to many people and will be harder to sell later on.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
The biggest differences in the 120 and 160GB are:

The 120GB has these that the 160 doesn't:

Genius
Use the same headset as the iPhone so you can pause and skip tracks using the button on the headset
Use the mic on the same headset to record
Click wheel sometimes seems less responsive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.