Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjohnson4382

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
I have an 80gb ipod and have always used it with windows. Well i just got a mac for christmas and have transferred all my music to my mac now. The only problem I think I have so far is that in the update section of itunes after my ipod is connected, it says that only Macintosh-formatted ipods can be updated. how can i fix this so I can continue to update my ipod?

little nin

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
i'm sure that when you format it for mac from windows it keeps all the music on it?

if not then all the music is now on your mac right?

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
i'm sure that when you format it for mac from windows it keeps all the music on it?

if not then all the music is now on your mac right?
No. All music will be erased from the iPod. You have to make sure you have all the music on your computer which the OP does, before you format the iPod, if not, all will be lost.

ZeroSpyGadget

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2008
Much Like the said earlier restore it, I faced the same problem with my ipods when i got my mac but i restored them and now they work fine.

pkagel

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
SoCal ExPat
Along these same lines, my PC was crashing hard and I copied all my iTunes music and apps to an external hard drive. I plan on buying a Mac here in January. Will the Apple store help me put all my music on the new Mac or will I have to figure this out for myself?

Also, my girlfriend's computer crashed and she lost all her music. Is their any way to recover the music she bought on iTunes?

hydrokayak

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Lancaster, NH
I recently made the move from PC to Mac about a year ago. I ran into the same problem -- I had a Windows formatted iPod, and couldn't update the firmware on the device like iTunes wanted me to. I just reformatted the iPod, and it automatically changed the format to Macintosh.

Formatting the iPod WILL make you lose any data on the iPod (music, movies, podcasts, pictures and the like), so make sure everything you want is backed up somewhere (e.g. your mac's iTunes program).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.