Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeHU4L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Like the title says, my computer picks up my iPod Touch 32 gig. as a camera device. It will only pick up the pictures in the device, and wont let me copy my music. Software to copy music from my iPod to my com. says they cant find my connected iPod.

So the primary issue im having is my computer (XP) picks up my iPod Touch as a camera. I need help, please thank you :]

JMSports

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2008
Mine does too, but it doesnt affect anything... iTunes should still work regularly.

MikeHU4L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Well since im on XP itunes 8 wont download, therefore i had to download 7.7 iTunes, and it wont pick up my ipod....Does anyone know a word around for DL iTunes 8 on XP? b/c i really need to get my ipod touch music on my computer

btw if your wondering when i "Download" itunes 8 on my computer the setup takes 3 seconds, and says it installs, when it obviously hasnt since it didnt even do anything. then it doesent show up on my computer, alot are having this problem. I need a work around please

big-blue-wolf

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
15.8 miles from Molineux
iTunes 8 will run happily on XP, I've been using it since it was released.

iTunes will recognize the touch as a "camera" if you have images saved on it from websites or emails you may have received. These are located in the Photo App in "Saved Photos". If you transfer the photos (and don't save any more) the dialogue box will not reappear.

justan

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2008
Ive got a windows xp sp.2 and itunes 8 runs like a charm. Loads fast, doesnt freeze up, good to go. I also noticed mine didnt start popping up as a camera until i started saving web pics and taking screen shots but ya, its normal.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Well since im on XP itunes 8 wont download, therefore i had to download 7.7 iTunes, and it wont pick up my ipod....Does anyone know a word around for DL iTunes 8 on XP? b/c i really need to get my ipod touch music on my computer

If it's a second generation iPod touch (the one with volume controls and a speaker), it needs at least iTunes 8 to be used. And as has been said, iTunes 8 definitely is compatible with XP. Looks more like a computer problem than some sort of compatibility issue.

MikeHU4L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
iTunes works now, just had to delete all apple softwarre from my computer and reinstall, after restarting :]

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
i think ur previous install of itunes got some how corrupt so it ceased to work but itunes installer picked up some registry keys which signaled that itunes was already on the PC.

claylj

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2008
Once again please search the forum before posting. This has been answered several times before.

When you do screen shots or download images from the web the images are stored in the Photo Album in the "Saved Photos" folder. As long as this folder exists you will get the popup window in Windows. Deleting all pictures in the folder stops this behavior.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
The feature is actually quite useful - use it for my iPhone to get back up of pictures.

pwn247

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
West Virginia, USA
Because there are plain ol' JPEGs stored on your iPod touch in a non-protected directory (so you can email them from the device), Windows immediately thinks that anything with pictures on it is a camera. :rolleyes: (I would say "Gotta love Windows" but... eh...)

So it's normal. Install iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.