Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laserfox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
new york
phpBz5CaYAM.jpg

By the way do you guys re-read books? I always find I can re-read the Hitchhiker's Guide series and still find it funny. I am yet to re-read the Harry Potter series. Maybe after I graduate this summer.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
phpBz5CaYAM.jpg

By the way do you guys re-read books? I always find I can re-read the Hitchhiker's Guide series and still find it funny. I am yet to re-read the Harry Potter series. Maybe after I graduate this summer.

Nice bookshelf. I'll post mine tomorrow. (too dark in the house with the family sleeping.)

I see the Douglas Adams book. I'm a huge fan of those classic series from B&N. I have like 4 or 5 of there books. Really nice binding and great looking on the shelf. I'm really partial to the Sherlock Holmes edition.

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
I'm in college so I try to keep the amount of stuff I have here to a minimum. Hence, I rely on one of these to store all my books (and magazines, and newspapers)

amazon-kindle.jpg

laserfox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
new york
Nice bookshelf. I'll post mine tomorrow. (too dark in the house with the family sleeping.)

I see the Douglas Adams book. I'm a huge fan of those classic series from B&N. I have like 4 or 5 of there books. Really nice binding and great looking on the shelf. I'm really partial to the Sherlock Holmes edition.

Yep Thats the Douglas Adams books indeed! One of my favorites and I particularly like "The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul"; its weird and very comical, almost the same style of writing as the Hitchhikers series. I also own this book and others in ebook format, so I can read on the go lol.

buyusfear

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
I'm more of a magazine guy. I do like books though.

(these pics I took a while ago, but they kinda work for this thread)

StringsPages51.jpg
StringsPages14.jpg
StringsPages1.jpg

StringsPages18.jpg
StringsPages19.jpg
StringsPages24.jpg
StringsPages36.jpg

timerollson

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2005
heretothere
Nice, everyone.

All of my books are in moving boxes. But on my desk at home is a copy of "The Audacity of Hope", "Freakonomics", "Man Gone Down". and a French instructional book...and I'm currently reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" (100 or so pages til I'm finished).

3161283798_8e752b515b.jpg

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
All of my books are packed away. I did not have enough room in my Suburban for my bookshelf when I moved from California to Georgia.

I do occasionally reread books. If they are really good like Tai-Pan or Shogun.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I don't have much of a book collection since I usually just read my brothers books he already has. We basically have the same taste, so no point in getting the same books he already has. There are also some that are in boxes I'll have to go through. I'm also starting to get into graphic novels as well.

Brothers Collection

The Killing Joke

Watchmen (Reading Now)

I also have the Harry Potter collection. When I move out I'll have to buy most of the books my brother has anyways lol.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i used to read a lot in bed and for school but not much anymore. anyone have any tips to to get back into reading again? i guess i have to find a new book that really captivates me and slowly get back into reading so i cant put it down.

i want to start reading more to increase my imagination and vocabulary. i guess i read a lot on the internets but does that really have any advantages over reading books?

buyusfear

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Beautiful R7 and R8. I have an R6 myself.

Thanks.

I'm jealous of your R6, I so wish I had an P-90 Les Paul.

I'm always on the hunt for an R4. Ideally I'd like to retrofit a trapeze onto one so that it would look like a '52 LP, but be topwrapped. I've seen this doen by someone else and I instantly wanted one. (perhaps if the economy keeps up i'll be able to pick myself up an original '52)

laserfox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
new york
Nice, everyone.

Since I just graduated, all of my books are in moving boxes. But on my desk at home is a copy of "The Audacity of Hope", "Freakonomics", "Man Gone Down". and a French instructional book...and I'm currently reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" (100 or so pages til I'm finished).

3161283798_8e752b515b.jpg

I have yet to finish reading A thousand Splendid Suns. Somehow I think its going to be morbidly depressing like the Kite Runner, so I put it down after a couple pages. I loved the Kite Runner up until that fateful incident, where I threw the book against the wall in a fit of rage. I was forced to finish reading it for my Sociology Class. As a result I never bothered reading A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Has anyone read the Lovely bones? Peter Jackson is making the movie I heard.

timerollson

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2005
heretothere
I have yet to finish reading A thousand Splendid Suns. Somehow I think its going to be morbidly depressing like the Kite Runner, so I put it down after a couple pages. I loved the Kite Runner up until that fateful incident, where I threw the book against the wall in a fit of rage. I was forced to finish reading it for my Sociology Class. As a result I never bothered reading A Thousand Splendid Suns.

I just finished A Thousand Splendid suns. It has me feeling....drained, I guess. There were 4 parts that had me tearing up. ...and there's a series of events in the novel that absolutely tear at my heart. It's a good book, but Khaled knows how to make a reader feel for his characters. I couldn't even feel optimistic at the book's end. And I suppose that was the author's intention...to raise awareness of <issues>. (I don't want to spoil it for those interested in reading it).

And yeah, I read the Kite Runner too. If I had to compare, Kite Runner is a fresh scoop of ice cream on a summer day, while A Thousand Splendid Suns is wet socks [uncomfortable & frustrating].:(

laserfox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
new york
And I suppose that was the author's intention...to raise awareness of <issues>. (I don't want to spoil it for those interested in reading it).

And yeah, I read the Kite Runner too. If I had to compare, Kite Runner is a fresh scoop of ice cream on a summer day, while A Thousand Splendid Suns is wet socks [uncomfortable & frustrating].:(

LoL wet sock hee! I'll put it aside for reading when I want to be manipulated by emotional drivel. I agree though, that the author did a great job of bringing awareness to the whole issue of racial stratification and ethnic inequality in Afghanistan. I just wished he was less...morbid.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Sadly, I don't have enough room for a bookcase so nearly all of my books are boxed and in storage.

My to-read list (currently reading "Breath" by Tim Winton):
DSCF2071.JPG

Recently read and waiting to be stored:
DSCF2072.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.