Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Esulatell

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
I just installed Windows 7 Beta Build 7000 onto my Alu' iMac via Boot Camp, its all fine except I have no sound, do I need to download a driver or something? :confused:

If anyone can help can you please link me to the driver :D
Thank you :)

Esulatell

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
Yep there all installed and they all work fine :)
But they did nothing for sound :mad:

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Someones been using BitTorrent naughty naughty :D

Try installing it through VirtualBox, it's like Paralells but free and just as good. Windows 7 won't work on Q at the moment unfortunatly.

Esulatell

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009

Try installing it through VirtualBox, it's like Paralells but free and just as good. Windows 7 won't work on Q at the moment unfortunatly.

Ah I'm a rebel me :D
But I don't want to use Parallels or anything like that, I want to run it natively.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
OK well look up drivers for the sound card in your Mac but you may not have any luck getting it to work on Windows 7, it's only a beta and a early one at that, remember.

nigrunze

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
If the 2nd gen Aluminum iMac uses the same sound drivers as the first gen Aluminum iMac, then the drivers are on this page.

Hopefully they work for you. Try the Vista driver first, then the XP one.

On our PC, the driver that the Windows 7 beta chose produced bad sound output. I looked for a driver on Creative's website and found the XP driver but there wasn't a Vista driver. Surprisingly, the Windows XP driver works just fine.

... I guess my point is that if the Vista driver doesn't work, try the XP one.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
It's a known problem with the 7 beta.
Just try to find the driver I guess.
This didn't happen to me when I installed it though. Yay uTorrent.

speedfreek

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2008
If the 2nd gen Aluminum iMac uses the same sound drivers as the first gen Aluminum iMac, then the drivers are on this page.

Hopefully they work for you. Try the Vista driver first, then the XP one.

On our PC, the driver that the Windows 7 beta chose produced bad sound output. I looked for a driver on Creative's website and found the XP driver but there wasn't a Vista driver. Surprisingly, the Windows XP driver works just fine.

... I guess my point is that if the Vista driver doesn't work, try the XP one.

Downloaded the XP one first and wouldn't even install as it wasnt compatible or couldn't find anything or something so no dice on that.
Downloaded the Vista one and everything is all gravy now =D Now to get some music going, kekeke.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I downloaded the Realtek drivers straight from Realtek (the High Definition Audio one) and it works perfectly on my early 08 MBP. Link: http://www.realtek.com/downloads/

What I'm having trouble with now is firewire. I used to use HFS Explorer to access my external (HFS formatted) hard drive but it no longer shows up in HFS Explorer. Windows doesn't even make the "device connected" sound when I turn it on (yes I'm running HFS Explorer in admin mode). Pretty sure it's a firewire driver issue, but I have no clue who makes the firewire for my MBP.

Chwisch87

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2008
this should do it.

3. From the Control Panel, click on the Device Manager
4. Find the device that's not installed, it's listed as 'Multimedia Audio Controller'
5. Click on the device and install/update the driver.
6. Let Windows go out to the Internet to find the driver.
7. Install the selected drive and click 'Ok'

Akula971

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Perfidious Albion
How to fix

This guy ORION EDWARDS did this

Go into the leopard drivers folder. There should be a directory called Drivers, and under that is a file called RealTekSetup.exe. If you try run this normally, it will fail.

What he did next was:

Right click it, and select Troubleshoot Compatibility
Click Next and wait for it to finish 'Detecting Issues'
Select The program Worked in earlier versions of windows...
Select Windows Vista
Click Next a few times, let the Realtek installer run, reboot, and Presto!

http://orionedwards.blogspot.com/

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ Much easier to just download newer Realtek Drivers HD Audio Codec though. ;)

Look for the Vista_r213 driver package.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
^ Much easier to just download newer Realtek Drivers HD Audio Codec though. ;)

Look for the Vista_r213 driver package.

they rank pretty much the same in terms of easiness.

windows compatibility mode actually works and is easy to use. I'm surprised.

amt2002

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
I've just intalled Win 7 on my alu imac and installed the realtek sound drivers and everything was fine.....

BUT my headphone out port isnt working and the sound out the internal speakers sounds really poor quality :mad:

Anyone else experiencing this or know a fix?

gantte

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2009
Solution found for no sound under Win 7 Beta Build 7000

I can verify this solution worked for me.
I used the Apple Vista driver and it works fine.

What I didn't know until this event was that Apple puts a red
led *inside* the headphone jack on the macbookpro. The LED
was lit (RED) but when I loaded the Vista driver, the LED went
dark and the sound started working. Very cool.

This guy ORION EDWARDS did this

Go into the leopard drivers folder. There should be a directory called Drivers, and under that is a file called RealTekSetup.exe. If you try run this normally, it will fail.

What he did next was:

Right click it, and select Troubleshoot Compatibility
Click Next and wait for it to finish 'Detecting Issues'
Select The program Worked in earlier versions of windows...
Select Windows Vista
Click Next a few times, let the Realtek installer run, reboot, and Presto!

http://orionedwards.blogspot.com/

FuturusX

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2009
I can verify this solution worked for me.
I used the Apple Vista driver and it works fine.

What I didn't know until this event was that Apple puts a red
led *inside* the headphone jack on the macbookpro. The LED
was lit (RED) but when I loaded the Vista driver, the LED went
dark and the sound started working. Very cool.

FYI: That red LED inside is an optional mini toslink connection, along side the tradtional analog, enabling you output digital sound with the appropiate adapter:
http://www.nextag.com/mini-toslink-adapter/search-html

Useful for getting 5.1 etc from DVD playback.

Additional information on its use in home theater - http://www.reelsmart.com/2006/08/17/mac-home-theater-surround-sound-and-video-connections/print/

amt2002

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
Just an update from me with my lack of sound from my 3.5mm headphone jack on my aluminium imac. I tried everything but to no avail.

THE SOLUTION:

Finally I gave up and re-formatted and reinstalled windows 7, this time in 64-bit. And it worked! Now I have quality sound coming from the external speakers. If anyone else experiences this, first try installing without having the speakers plugged in during installation. If not, go 64-bit.

argos4000

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2009

Yup. :p Got the legit version off Microsoft today.

sascha h-k

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
vienna / austria
on iMac 3.06 win7 64bit perfect, also sound after r2.14 update, BUT on my mbp 2.4ghz with win7 32bit still no sound ...

i tried any driver around, bootcamp and realtek.

any help appreciated !

sdsviet

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Chicago
mbp pro 1st gen 2.0
bootcamp 2.1
windows 7 32bit
sound still doesnt work. installed everyway possible, even the troubleshoot deal. bluetooth still have the whole connecting to the device forever deal too. has anyone found a fool proof fix for this. thinking about switching to 64bit. what are the advantages? i heard that some disadvantages is that some programs dont work. does anyone know what programs they are? also i know that if 64bit is installed its able to take advantage of 4gb ram. can this still be done on the 1st gen mbp since they are still limited to 2gb?

sascha h-k

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
vienna / austria
i HAVE SOUND now !
it's for mbp (not unibody) and win7 32bit.
uninstall realtek drivers (under delete programm)
delete audio components (from device manager)
then restart.
insert leopard disk, open with right-click it's content and choose driver, realtek.
here again right-click and as above described choose vista and so on and install, then restart.

NOW, again content leopard drivers choose sigmatel, open this and take the upper (not xp) and install with right-click as mentioned before.

i hope you will get the sound back as i got ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.