Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pogue questioned Phil Schiller about Apple's withdrawal from Macworld Expo. Schiller, of course, repeated what was said in the original press release: that trade shows had become less important and not worth the effort or money involved.

Schiller, however, also admitted that having to come up with a "dazzling" show each January was unsustainable. He also admits that January does not fit into the Apple's natural product timelines, which he specifically spelled out:He noted that Apple marches to certain annual product cycles: the holiday season (Novemberish), the educational buying season (late summer), the iPod product cycle (October), the iLife development cycle (usually March), the iPhone cycle (June).

Article Link: Schiller on Apple's Yearly Product Timelines

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
Finally... the truth!

I have to say though, they could have just moved Macworld to a different month. IMG would have agreed, so that's obviously not the issue. I guess it really is that trade shows dont matter anymore...

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
My opinion - Good for Apple. Set your own timelines. Don't go by what some expo organizers want year after year. Release the big stuff at self-made big events. When forced, things just don't seem as good. I like the surprise Apple events much more, because they warranted the reason for a surprise in the first place.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
While I support Apple's position that they shouldn't be constrained by the timing of the MacWorld show to unveil products that they would otherwise wish to unveil at a different time, I have to ask isn't there some middle ground? Does Apple have to pull out altogether? Why not just have a nice yummy Apple booth at MacWorld like any other vendor and still have a presence there? It doesn't have to be all or nothing...

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
iPhone cycle in June...I'm hoping that I don't have to wait for June to see the rumored 32 GB iPhone come out.

My phone contract just expired and I'm wanting to negotiate a deal on an iPhone before I sign another one.

I figure that when the 32s come out, the 16s will drop in price and I can get a better deal...:D

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
I remember reading accounts from former Apple employees how Macworld ruined their holidays with the necessity of working to an early January release.

For the current staff I'm pleased with this decision.

Also, I was toying with the idea of going over to iphone, but will now wait until the June refresh with all these noise about chip advances. I know they may still come much later, but as the MacRumors guide suggests, unless essential, do not buy now.

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
Wow, that was pretty forthcoming for an Apple executive. He just basically told us to expect the announcement of iPhone III in June. Before this statement, we couldn't yet assume that the summer releases of the first two iterations were more than a coincidence, as opposed to a future heartbeat we should expect going forward.

voodoofish

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
London
Well that includes one HUGE tidbit: iPhone 3.0 will be out in June.

yeah but updating a phone only once a year seems a bit infrequent.... for example the iphone 3g has been out over 6 months now and is still the same price... i'm so used to phones coming down in price so quickly it really puts me off buying one now, even if it's going to be another 6 months till the next one, and i think lots of people will think the same way.... i hope they update it before june!

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
So iPhone updates in June?

So, I guess there are no imminent iPhone updates at the moment? (I hope there are, but perhaps this is a message).

I guess things like Mac Pro, Mac Books, Mac Book Pros etc fall whenever needed. And I would imagine that if something truly needs to bypass the timelines, they'll do so.

Pogue questioned Phil Schiller about Apple's withdrawal from Macworld Expo. Schiller, of course, repeated what was said in the original press release: that trade shows had become less important and not worth the effort or money involved.

Schiller, however, also admitted that having to come up with a "dazzling" show each January was unsustainable. He also admits that January does not fit into the Apple's natural product timelines, which he specifically spelled out:

Article Link: Schiller on Apple's Yearly Product Timelines

jrougeux

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
So this means no iPhone update unlikely until June?

This may be the reason I need to go out and get the 16GB now. :D

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
The iPhone was updated twice last year...once in Feb, then in July.

This gives me hope for a more recent update than June....maybe Feb or Mar?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.