Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah, so until somebody puts together comprehensive a step by step guide on how to get things working right, instead of bits and pieces here and there, I'm not getting into this whole mess... I just installed Geektool and attempted a couple of commands, but no luck... I don't know if it's because it's so late, or what, but I'm giving up and saving it for another day... :rolleyes:
so for now, i'll be a spectator haha..

Did you change the font size/color?

si77hay

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Stirling
Yeah, so until somebody puts together comprehensive a step by step guide on how to get things working right, instead of bits and pieces here and there, I'm not getting into this whole mess... I just installed Geektool and attempted a couple of commands, but no luck... I don't know if it's because it's so late, or what, but I'm giving up and saving it for another day... :rolleyes:

Try this guide. A 17 year old wrote it ;)

Or this one is an absolute corker.

And have a look here for some inspiration! Snapshots of what Geektool can do

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona

This "tool" does take some time playing around with it to figure it out. Documentation is nonexistent. Personally, I think it's kind of cool, but isn't worth me spending the time to figure it out.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Try this guide. A 17 year old wrote it ;)

Or this one is an absolute corker.

And have a look here for some inspiration! Snapshots of what Geektool can do

This "tool" does take some time playing around with it to figure it out. Documentation is nonexistent. Personally, I think it's kind of cool, but isn't worth me spending the time to figure it out.

The links provided just above are looking pretty good. I'm about to start messing with it a little bit... We'll see how it comes out :confused:

sumskateborder

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
I do not understand how to get the Weather Script working. I installed Lynx and it's in my Applications folder, and I did all the steps but it isn't showing up.

EV0LUTION

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Florida
I do not understand how to get the Weather Script working. I installed Lynx and it's in my Applications folder, and I did all the steps but it isn't showing up.

try this:

Conditions:
Code:
lynx -dump http://printer.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=YOURZIPCODE|awk '/Cond/ && !/Fore/ {for (i=2; i<=10; i++) printf $i " " }'

Weather:
Code:
lynx -dump http://printer.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=33704|awk '/Temp/{printf $2, ": "; for (i=3; i<=3; i++) printf $i " " }' |awk '{print $1}'

sumskateborder

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
try this:

Conditions:
Code:
lynx -dump http://printer.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=YOURZIPCODE|awk '/Cond/ && !/Fore/ {for (i=2; i<=10; i++) printf $i " " }'

Weather:
Code:
lynx -dump http://printer.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=33704|awk '/Temp/{printf $2, ": "; for (i=3; i<=3; i++) printf $i " " }' |awk '{print $1}'

Nothing is showing up.

Did I install Lynx wrong? In my applications folder it is still as lynx.command, do I have to do anything else to it?

monke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Nothing is showing up.

Did I install Lynx wrong? In my applications folder it is still as lynx.command, do I have to do anything else to it?

Try launching Lynx and going to that website in the code.
If that doesn't work, its probably a problem with how you installed it.

si77hay

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Stirling
What happens if you launch Terminal and type "Lynx"?

I installed Lynx twice from websites/packages that turned out to be incorrect. I eventually got a good install of Lynx by installing from the Apple web site. Contained within the DMG is a 'README' RTF. Follow the instructions exactly.

ill0gical0ne

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
With Lynx, it must actually be installed, unlike other applications, as it is run by the terminal. Simply launch the install.command (as an administrator, or a user that has sudo properties) that comes with the .dmg, type in your password, and it will install.

Mikey-

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
England
Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial on how to put the date and time onto my desktop using GeekTool?

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial on how to put the date and time onto my desktop using GeekTool?

Install GeekTool
Open it in the preferences window.
New > Shell
Paste in one of the codes posted on this website for whatever you want.
e.g. for the time paste in "date +%l:%M" minus the quotation marks
Hit enter, you will see it appear on your desktop.
Move the box around to wherever you like.
Go to Colours/Font and tweak the colour of the background/text and the font of the text to what you like best.
Make a new shell entry for each piece you want on your desktop. (date, time, month, day etc)
Hope this helps.

tecknical

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
nothing special.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 3,621

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
nothing special.

This is a little off topic... But 2 questions for you.

What app did you use to take a snapshot of your desktop? It's very clear...

and how were you able to upload such a large picture to the thread? When I try to do it it tells me it has to be under a certain size...

Thanks.

tecknical

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Cmd+Shift+3

it usually saves it as a .png which is way too big for this site, so i open it in photoshop and save it as a .jpg :D

hope that helps

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Cmd+Shift+3

it usually saves it as a .png which is way too big for this site, so i open it in photoshop and save it as a .jpg :D

hope that helps

i knew about that command but didn't know ab the .jpg tip.
i'll give it a shot. Thanks dude

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Not extremely exciting, but I like it. :) The wallpaper came with Crystal Clear app.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 1,625

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I've figured out how to put temp and conditions, but what is the command for wind and clouds? I'm confused :eek:

hatehereyes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2008
Moreno Valley, Ca
I've got all my scripts working right and everything. They show up on my desktop fine but whenever i open up geektools again to edit something i press enter and it just disappears.

does this happen to anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.