Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
An actual in-dash iPod car stereo would be ideal. no more gadgets and holsters to hook up yer iPod.

simply plug yer iPod right into the stereo and let her rip. even include a cd player/radio and what not.

or does this already exist?

and i couldn't figure out which forum this would go in.. sorry.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Many newer car stereos come standard with cables that when you attach an iPod through the iPod data connector will automatically reconfigure the car stereo to control the iPod through the car stereo controls. Alpine produces a series of car stereos that work this way.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I suggest Crutchfield.com because they have a lot of car stuff that integrates with iPods/iPhones.

The issue gets complicated because there are differences in the way all these devices integrate with the existing car hardware as well as with the iPods, and there are related issues with bluetooth and the hands-off laws.

Note that Ford uses an integrated Microsoft solution in their cars (Synch).

Apple supposedly was working with VW to develop a built-in system. Many people thought VW was the wrong company to partner with, but it has evidently been cancelled anyway.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I suggest Crutchfield.com because they have a lot of car stuff that integrates with iPods/iPhones.

The issue gets complicated because there are differences in the way all these devices integrate with the existing car hardware as well as with the iPods, and there are related issues with bluetooth and the hands-off laws.

Note that Ford uses an integrated Microsoft solution in their cars (Synch).

Apple supposedly was working with VW to develop a built-in system. Many people thought VW was the wrong company to partner with, but it has evidently been cancelled anyway.

i'd work with a car stereo company... ;)

omegaphil6

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
I saw one yesterday at best buy, where the motorized screen slides down and instead where there is usually a CD slot, the is a tray for your iPod, you actually slide your ipod into the unit and it docks via dock connector and then you use the in dash screen to control it, thought it was quite cool, though i dont recall who made it.

omegaphil6

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
Nevermind i just found it,

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9036508&type=product&id=1218011400494

The fusion deck.
See images

9036508_sa.jpg

9036508cv1a.jpg

Looks like it is only for Classic style ipods

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
Nevermind i just found it,

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9036508&type=product&id=1218011400494

The fusion deck.
See images

Looks like it is only for Classic style ipods

looks nice and simple, cheers for finding it! Though, it is pricey for my taste, guess Alpine work better. I had a Sony xPlod that cost me around €100 and it wasn't that great, had all the line-ins you could want for, but Mac formatted iPods weren't usable, and I had to use my good old iTrip thingy, which is by the way illegal in Italy as well as in other European countries.
Oh, and VW is not the only one supposed to be iPod/iPhone ready, I know BMWs and Mercedes' have iPhone integration, I suppose some iPod as well.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
An actual in-dash iPod car stereo would be ideal. no more gadgets and holsters to hook up yer iPod.

simply plug yer iPod right into the stereo and let her rip. even include a cd player/radio and what not.

or does this already exist?

and i couldn't figure out which forum this would go in.. sorry.

Yep - I got a Kenwood about three years ago. Plug in the iPod, use the Kenwood remote (or the front panel) to control the iPod. Works like a champ.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Some of you surely work for Mac. Use this great idea to get a promotion!!

What idea? What you want has been done. As has been stated there are quite a few aftermarket head units with iPod interfaces, and many vehicles come from the factory with iPod support. No more "gadgets and holsters to hook up yer iPod."

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
What idea? What you want has been done. As has been stated there are quite a few aftermarket head units with iPod interfaces, and many vehicles come from the factory with iPod support. No more "gadgets and holsters to hook up yer iPod."

The idea of an iPod brand stereo.

Lorenz0

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2009
...Dunno.. the obligitory 'protective case' for this innovative incar ipod is a bit too chunky for carrying about.

I despair sometimes. I really do.

txr0ckabilly

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Southwest Louisiana
i want Apple to make an actual iPod Stereo with wifi/bluetooth capabilities. with home sharing built in to itunes 9 it seems a simple enough task. it doesn't need a cd player in it, just a hard drive or a big flash drive. i think about 150-200 gb would suffice.

i want to be able to pull my vehicle into the driveway and have my iPod stereo sync to a "vehicle/driving playlist", add movies for the kids, or whatever from my itunes over me wireless network. no need to pull my classic in and out of the vehicle anymore to add songs. give it a touch screen double-din interface, hell even a single would be fine. have it set to sync with my iphone for hands free calling and remote. put a "good" GPS chip in it for directions. no more need for drop-down/detachable faces, no cables or docks needed except maybe to charge the phone.

i would buy one the first day it was available, hell i'd actually wait in line days before it came out.

Apple is an electronics company now, i don't see why they wouldn't or haven't released something like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.