Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I agree this is a pleasant move.

I always pay for my software, but this move makes me MORE likely to continue to be honest since I believe in mutual trust.

Plus, the truth is that all the activation and serial numbers schemes do is frustrate honest customers. If you want to steal a serial or get around activation, it's beyond trivial to do. (On any and all products.) Only big and dumb companies like Adobe and Microsoft think it actually stops stealing.

Smart move Apple. It is reasons like this why I continue to give you my money.

joedavis34

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
so let me get this right...if you buy it, you just need the install disk to install iWork 09? No need for a serial number/CD key to install it?

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
You realise that it is not very wise to talk about how you are 'getting' your serials here and could end you up with a ban.

Personally I think you should pay for the Apple software as it is most definitely worth the money you pay for it!

The added bonus of having no serial means no more searching on the box or in the manual!

nanoboy

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
So is iWork becoming more like a donate-ware?

So Apple has taken a kind of "don't ask don't tell" attitude on Mac users passing around an iWork disc to install on multiple machines?

To be honest, iWork has such a tiny market share, this move for Apple isn't losing money, but rather, gaining popularity for iWork.

Or is it only a matter of time Apple will bundle it with the Mac like iLife as well?

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
So Apple has taken a kind of "don't ask don't tell" attitude on Mac users passing around an iWork disc to install on multiple machines?

To be honest, iWork has such a tiny market share, this move for Apple isn't losing money, but rather, gaining popularity for iWork.

Or is it only a matter of time Apple will bundle it with the Mac like iLife as well?

If your an honest, person, with integrity, you won't be passing the disk to anyone. :rolleyes:

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I downloaded the trial and decided to pay for it. I work for a software company and don't like the idea of someone stealing our software... so I went the honest route and paid for theirs. I'm proud of having zero pirated programs on my computer :D

mercedes

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
switzerland
I doubt that you can install iwork 09 on other mac too. What would be the point of selling a family pack?
By the way, Microsoft Office 08 doesn't have a serial nr...but it still doesnt work.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Now I'm regretting paying hundreds for Office... iWork is a fraction of the price.

On the mac you are absolutely right. There is no reason whatsoever (other than the occasional formatting differences when you save from iWork to .doc, etc.) to buy Office, especially considering its obscene price. On a PC however, Office '07 actually has all the good features and could be considered worth the money... Though for the ~$300+ they want for it, there is a certainly an explanation as to why people like to pirate it... :D

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
If Apple would just fix the index of content creation. :mad: I bought iWork 08 and it didn't work there and I downloaded the trial of 09. Still not working.... :mad:

nissan.gtp

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Virginia
IMO it's a mistake to not have an serial number. I buy software, I don't mind typing in a SN one time.

I'd rather they give current iWork owners a discount for upgrading. :(

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Apple is really trusting its customers on this one.

well, i downloaded the trial and i will but the OS X, ilfe, iwork combo. i even thing about buying the family pack so that i can have clean installs on my macs. (and my GF's MB that we buy hopefully soon). Yes most people do not steal.

btw: i maybe very naive but i couldn't imagine that there are already serial numbers for iwork 09 on the web. where do they come from? who gives out his serial minutes after buying software so that others can steal it?

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
btw: i maybe very naive but i couldn't imagine that there are already serial numbers for iwork 09 on the web. where do they come from? who gives out his serial minutes after buying software so that others can steal it?

Oh, you'd be very surprised. Release groups compete for bragging rights and there have been a good number of times when a software release was out on the web before it was available for retail.

Also, you don't need a 'real' serial for a program to work; you only need a serial that 'works' ;). There are groups that figure out what rules companies use to make serial numbers and then make key generator programs.

With all of this going on, maybe Apple figured that they might as well not have a serial in iWork '09 since the people that really want to crack it will find a way anyhow, so therefore a serial would only inconvenience paying customers. Cool. :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
That's supposed to mean that it registers itself. This has never been the case with any previous Apple software, so without any evidence that this is true, I'd say not.
I've heard mentions of the new Apple software phoning home now alongside the Pro apps. Might be time to ask someone with Little Snitch when they install it.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I've heard mentions of the new Apple software phoning home now alongside the Pro apps. Might be time to ask someone with Little Snitch when they install it.

The pro apps do that now? I had not heard of this. I wonder what purpose would be served, if as some are saying, no serial number is required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.