Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j/k/Andy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Quick question,

Is there any US road map software for the ipod touch besides Google Maps? Don't need GPS (I know where I am), just something like Microsoft maps that can be used without wifi and more like a road atlas.

Thanks,
Andy

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
I know there was an Installer app that you could use to save Google Maps' cache to use offline, but I don't know now.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Quick question,

Is there any US road map software for the ipod touch besides Google Maps? Don't need GPS (I know where I am), just something like Microsoft maps that can be used without wifi and more like a road atlas.

Thanks,
Andy

I've looked and have not found such an application. I want the same thing too. Often times I know where I am, and I know the location of where I want to go but how best to get there I'm not always sure. I don't even need an entire map of the United States, I'd be prefectly happy buying one of my home state only that also included points of interest.

I get the feeling though that we won't see such an app because most of them will be catered to the GPS of the newest iphone.

j/k/Andy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
I found it. Here's an article about them. You can find them on Installer (jailbreak only).

Thanks, that looks interesting, but I still wish there was a simple map app that did not need access to the internet. Entire maps of the US use to fit on a single CD, so something like this should be not problem on an ipod touch or iphone.

Just the other day I was driving back home and got off the highway to find a more scenic route along the lake. I did not have a good map, and trying to use my nextel blackberry with google maps was slow and erratic. A simple map program on a ipod would have been great.

njguyfla

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Thanks, that looks interesting, but I still wish there was a simple map app that did not need access to the internet. Entire maps of the US use to fit on a single CD, so something like this should be not problem on an ipod touch or iphone.

Just the other day I was driving back home and got off the highway to find a more scenic route along the lake. I did not have a good map, and trying to use my nextel blackberry with google maps was slow and erratic. A simple map program on a ipod would have been great.

Buy a GPS unit. I have one and I love it. I have one with text to speech which means it will announce the name of the street that you need to turn on.

I've seen GPS units for little over $100. They are great on vacation too. :D

I just moved within the past two months and I would have been lost without my GPS.

I used it on vacation in Las Vegas and used it to get me to and around Los Angeles.

quick5pnt0

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
Although a full map program would be nice I think it's far more than any of us need and would be a space hog. Instead what I'd like to see is an app that allows you to goto google maps and select an area on the map which would then be saved for later use.

For example if I'm headed to the NJ shore for the weekend I really only need maps of the general area I'm headed to, and it's quite unlikely that I'll ever need a map of other areas of NJ, nevermind Arizona...LOL So with that in mind the night before I leave I could start this app, highlight the area I'm going to need maps for and it would automatically save them to the ipod. Then when I get down there and am trying to find something I can bring up the app again and zoom/pan around the map to find what I need.

The only downside to such an app is that it wouldn't be connecting to google (unless you're near a hotspot in which case you wouldn't need the program to begin with) so I don't think it would be possible for you to do searches or directions.

j/k/Andy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Although a full map program would be nice I think it's far more than any of us need and would be a space hog. Instead what I'd like to see is an app that allows you to goto google maps and select an area on the map which would then be saved for later use.

I agree that being able to just load what cities/states you need would be a great option, but I don't think a map of the whole US and Canada would be over 1 GB, not that bad on a 8 or 16 GB ipod/iphone.

Free Wi Fi is hard to find were I work/drive thru. I would pay $50 for an app like this on the new ipod, guess not many others see the need.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I agree that being able to just load what cities/states you need would be a great option, but I don't think a map of the whole US and Canada would be over 1 GB, not that bad on a 8 or 16 GB ipod/iphone.

Free Wi Fi is hard to find were I work/drive thru. I would pay $50 for an app like this on the new ipod, guess not many others see the need.

And maybe you could have the states/provinces selectable for synching, so you only synch the states you want. Would be very useful. Then again, they could just make the Touch a 3G network device (no phone) and they would help too.

the Touch does do some caching of google maps, right now i have zero network connectivity but I can still see some of the areas around places i have bookmarked.

j/k/Andy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
And maybe you could have the states/provinces selectable for synching, so you only synch the states you want. Would be very useful. Then again, they could just make the Touch a 3G network device (no phone) and they would help too.

the Touch does do some caching of google maps, right now i have zero network connectivity but I can still see some of the areas around places i have bookmarked.

I just want a road atlas on my ipod, no network required. Seems like a opportunity for someone, if only I could program and had access to map data...

Quockie

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
You could always make a screenshot of a specific area you need by pressing the home and lock button at the same time.

le sacre

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2004
sf, ca, usa
no-brainer, right?

i think that offline map-viewing would be an absolutely ideal use for the ipod touch, and can't imagine why such an app doesn't yet exist. i hope someone's working on it!

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Entire maps of the US use to fit on a single CD, so something like this should be not problem on an ipod touch or iphone.

but not anymore i doubt, theres plenty more roads. also as said single driving directions are stored.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
If I google map a set of directions, then go offline, will the Touch retain all of that info in cache? My initial test seems to say yes, but I wonder if anyone has any more experience with this.

The idea being you punch in your route before you leave and can follow it all the way there without wifi.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I think that for driving directions you really need a GPS. When you are on wi-fi (assuming that you can even get it), you may or may not know exactly where you are. A gps knows where you are and can direct you to turn right at the next corner. No iPod Touch application is going to do that; you do not have an accurate enough positioning. A good GPS gives you accuracy +- 10 meters or so. No iPod Touch via wi-fi is going to do that, much less on its own. Maps on an iPod Touch would be different - if you have an idea of where you are and where you want to go you could use it like an ordinary paper map. I sometimes use my Garmin 60Cx for driving and sometimes when walking around the city. In the city I just use it as a map to know where I am and how to find streets and POIs.

j/k/Andy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Maps on an iPod Touch would be different - if you have an idea of where you are and where you want to go you could use it like an ordinary paper map. I sometimes use my Garmin 60Cx for driving and sometimes when walking around the city. In the city I just use it as a map to know where I am and how to find streets and POIs.

Exactly, I don't need gps or turn by turn directions, just a nice detailed street map so I can plan my own route.

ekitel

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2005
There is a way to download Google maps and load them onto a 1st gen touch, but it requires jailbreaking that isn't really working on 2nd gen yet (http://www.touchpodium.com/2008/04/13/view-google-maps-locally-with-maps-offline-01/)

Also you can't really download the satellite maps because Google will block your ip address before you can download very much, and keep it blocked for a number of hours.

I would love to be able to get Google Maps hybrid view offline on a touch. I would pay a reasonable fee for that or something similar.

redkulat

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2008
Exactly, I don't need gps or turn by turn directions, just a nice detailed street map so I can plan my own route.

Exactly what I want...I'm tried of printing out pages, but not tired enough to purchase a GPS system :p.

And going offline and keeping it on the same map seems as if you would need to stay on that page (can't go back to the homescreen).

I could be wrong?

dornix

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
very cool app

check out scenic map it has everything at 10 meters and is all stored in memory, fantastic detail.

scenicmap.com

TheJayRay

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
OffMaps

Quick question,

Thanks,
Andy

j/k/Andy,
I have been looking for something like this for my wife and I for quite awhile and I hope you are still looking for it because it has finally come to the App Store! OffMaps <http://www.offmaps.com/> looks to be exactly what we need and the app is only $1.99 with no further in-app fees! Thank you, Felix Lamouroux!

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
j/k/Andy,
I have been looking for something like this for my wife and I for quite awhile and I hope you are still looking for it because it has finally come to the App Store! OffMaps <http://www.offmaps.com/> looks to be exactly what we need and the app is only $1.99 with no further in-app fees! Thank you, Felix Lamouroux!

I'm looking to use this for bicycle rides where I'm out of wireless range. How good is the detail for rural areas, do you know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.