Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Filini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Hi everybody, what do you think is the best and powerfull text editor for Mac OS X.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
This thread has lots of suggestions.

I'll (join in and) recommend TextWrangler (accompanied by the FTP client Cyberduck if needed), both of them free, but also have to recommend Coda (with or without Transmit).

Coda is just gorgeous and comes with a 15 days trial (and that's 15 days of use, not 15 days since you started it the first time). Check it out. Well worth the money if you need a reliable web programming tool. (Is that what you want to use it for, by the way? Or do you have something else in mind?)

Filini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Thx all guys, I will test all text editors and write that has turned out))

dringkor

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
If you're comfortable with Terminal and the UNIX command line at all, 'vi' is more powerful than probably any other editor out there except emacs.

Filini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
If you're comfortable with Terminal and the UNIX command line at all, 'vi' is more powerful than probably any other editor out there except emacs.

As a variant))
But I looking for GUI))
anyway, thx

dws90

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
TextMate is wonderful, and gives both vi and emacs a run for their money in terms of power.

Even though it's comparatively pricey, I've never regretted spending the money.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I use TextMate and Text Wrangler. All I can say is that TextMate doesn't have FTP and is very OLD. Hasn't been updated in awhile. Text Wrangler is basically BBEdit but without a few premium features.

Filini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Aha, the best choice is TextMate and Text Wrangler. In "OLD" TextMate i liked option "Fonts & Colors". In Text Wrangler - simply, usability, & freeware. All thx.)))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.