Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmann

macrumors 604
i have a ist gen iphone and I am trying to unlock it to use on t mobile I am using pwnage tool I get all the way to putting it in dfu mode and i hold the power and home button for ten seconds then just the home button but while just holding the home buttom when it gets to 9 itunes tries to connect to the iphone and it throws an error and if I have itunes closed it opens by itself when it gets to 9 and throws an error, the error number was 2001 i think it says to eject and econnect the iphone to try again, anyone know how to fix this it just keeps doing it over and over again

It's probably because you are running 10.5.6. Are you?

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
i have a ist gen iphone and I am trying to unlock it to use on t mobile I am using pwnage tool I get all the way to putting it in dfu mode and i hold the power and home button for ten seconds then just the home button but while just holding the home buttom when it gets to 9 itunes tries to connect to the iphone and it throws an error and if I have itunes closed it opens by itself when it gets to 9 and throws an error, the error number was 2001 i think it says to eject and econnect the iphone to try again, anyone know how to fix this it just keeps doing it over and over again

Sure, read the past few posts and see if any of that applies. :)

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Please, for the love of the Granny Smith, can this tutorial be updated with the latest information? I'm on the jailbreaking fence just like many on here but with the 10.5.6 update and the DFU issues, I'm really confused now. I'm pretty technical but it's just way too many things at once. I tried youtube but that just confuses matters worse. I know you guys are very helpful but this has to be simplified since it's an official Unlock/Jailbreak stickied tutorial.

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Finally, I got it to work. The problem exists also on the iMac. I though it was only on the new unibody macbooks, macbook air etc. The process was quite simple actually. I followed this Re-enable DFU mode in Mac OS X 10.5.6 tutorial step by step and it was automatically done for me.

The only problem I have now is this error message that I get when I plug the phone via usb on the side port of my keyboard.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    209.9 KB · Views: 105

bigrobb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2008
Tennessee
i got it connected to tmobile i can make calls and receive calls and texts and connect to wi fi but if I dont have the wifi on and I try to go online it says it cant activate the data plan or no data plan subscription but I have the blackberry data plan is there a setting somewhere I need to change or do I need to restore it and redo the unlock and jailbreak

bigrobb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2008
Tennessee
I got it to work if anyone else is having this problem i found the answer on here but I will post it here type in epc.tmobile.com in the settings>> General>>network>>Cellular Data Network>> and where it says VPN it should work then

DarrenG

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
England
I got it to work if anyone else is having this problem i found the answer on here but I will post it here type in epc.tmobile.com in the settings>> General>>network>>Cellular Data Network>> and where it says VPN it should work then
You need to set the APN to T-Mobile's APN Settings.

d4rklamp

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2009
Can quickpwn activate the iPhone 3G? Please reply, as I don't want iTunes to activate it, anyway it can't be activated through iTunes as I don't have a valid sim card...

DarrenG

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
England
Can quickpwn activate the iPhone 3G? Please reply, as I don't want iTunes to activate it, anyway it can't be activated through iTunes as I don't have a valid sim card...
I used QuickPwn and YellowSn0w (available via Cydia or Installer once Quickpwned) to unlock mine, works well.

peterhenley

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
Sure, read the past few posts and see if any of that applies. :)

There you go again, being smart-ass smart-alecky. Why don't you hold off posting your "read the forum" posts all the time and let helpful people reply?

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it probable is a duck but no one gives a rip whether it will swim in a circle.

ByteThis.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
There you go again, being smart-ass smart-alecky. Why don't you hold off posting your "read the forum" posts all the time and let helpful people reply?

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it probable is a duck but no one gives a rip whether it will swim in a circle.

ByteThis.

Oh, look, you again. Contributing nothing to this forum. At least I told the person where to find info. have you found the info on where to eff off yet? :)

steamed.hams

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Please, for the love of the Granny Smith, can this tutorial be updated with the latest information? I'm on the jailbreaking fence just like many on here but with the 10.5.6 update and the DFU issues, I'm really confused now. I'm pretty technical but it's just way too many things at once. I tried youtube but that just confuses matters worse. I know you guys are very helpful but this has to be simplified since it's an official Unlock/Jailbreak stickied tutorial.

Agreed 100%!

I'm not lazy, I'm just confused about what to do if I'm running OS 10.5.6 and I'm thinking about jailbreaking my iPhone 3G

d4rklamp

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2009
I used QuickPwn and YellowSn0w (available via Cydia or Installer once Quickpwned) to unlock mine, works well.

Well, what about the screen that shows the iTunes logo and which allows you to make emergency call only? I know for a fact that you need to activate iPhone 3G with iTunes so as you can use the phone.... Any help?

Can quickpwn hacktivate the iPhone 3G 2.2??

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2008
I have jailbroken my iphone before successfully but now I cannot. I have OS X 10.5.5 and a 3g 2.2 iphone. I have downloaded the correct 2.2 restore file in Firefox and have run quickpwn and pwnage tool.

Every time I get to the let go of the home button, I get the error message in Itunes 8.0.2 that says ipod detected but cannot identify. Then I have to hold both the power and home button for 10 seconds to get it back on.

I have read and read but cannot find a solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Gandalf!

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2005
New jailbreak?

I know my timing sucks, but I've been getting ready to jailbreak my 2G iPhone for the first time and now the 2.2.1 update came out, so I have a few questions.

Will the guide be updated to reflect the new firmware for first-time jailbreakers?

Because this isn't a major update, is it safe to jailbreak using the current instructions (replacing the firmware version with the newest one) if I update to 2.2.1 before the jailbreak?

Is it better to jailbreak before I update to 2.2.1?

I'm on AT&T, so I don't need to unlock. Thanks for any help you can provide!

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
I know my timing sucks, but I've been getting ready to jailbreak my 2G iPhone for the first time and now the 2.2.1 update came out, so I have a few questions.

Will the guide be updated to reflect the new firmware for first-time jailbreakers?

Because this isn't a major update, is it safe to jailbreak using the current instructions (replacing the firmware version with the newest one) if I update to 2.2.1 before the jailbreak?

Is it better to jailbreak before I update to 2.2.1?

I'm on AT&T, so I don't need to unlock. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Just speculation here, but I would say leaning towards no. Usually when Apple updates its firmwares, Pwnage tool needs to be updated first. You can try, but it may not work. You can't jailbreak before then upgrade, you need to jailbreak with 2.2.1. :)

In other words if you don't necessarily need what 2.2.1 provides, stick with what you have. :)

palckofv

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
I need a little help. When using pwnage tool after entering DFU mode I exit pwnage tool like it says, then go to itunes and it can't connect to the phone. Error 2001. Has this happened to anyone else? What do I need to do? Thanks

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2008
Or, you can do what I did. I have a new unibody macbook pro with 10.5.6

I took my restore disk that came with it and reinstalled the OS in the mode where it doesn't erase anything else. It reloads the OS to the original state, which is 10.5.5

Since I have Macbook Pro, I got a powered USB hub, ran quickpwn and all was well!

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Ok.. I've been trying to Jailbreak a 2.2 3G all day with nothing but errors. I've tried in OSX (10.5.6) and in Vista through bootcamp... non stop errors. I saw a few folks here say that they used Quickpwn and then Yellowsnow... but this contradicts what the dev team says. Can anyone confirm or not if I can use quickpwn? Because Pwnage is just not working for me.

Thanks!

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I need to update this!

What I can tell you is that as far as quickpwn/pwnagetool interfaces are concerned they are exactly the same.

Download the latest versions from blog.iphone-dev.org

If you want to have you iPhone 3G unlocked then you need to update to 2.2 using apple standard firmware then update to 2.2.1 using a pwnagetool made firmware that does NOT update the baseband.

Then you will be jailbreaked and can use yellowsnow to unlock the phone.

If your not bothered about an unlock but just the jailbreak then you can use itunes to update and use pwnagetool to jailbreak.

bobhammer

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
Hong Kong
Help Needed!!!

I was using 2.2 JB iphone3g, then I decided to upated to 2.2.1 jb firmware, so i restore my phone to factory 2.2, and then use the new Pwnagetool 2.5 to made a custom 2.2.1 firmware, when I entered DFU mode, and trying to restore iphone with the custom firmware, my phone's screen will go white and itunes will say error 2006, i tried many many times trying to restore it back to 2.2 and do it all over again, but the result is still the same!! I seriously need some help guys!!! PLZ HELP ME!!
Thanks in advance!

neworleans-7

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
Can I use QuickPwn to unlock/jailbreak my 2g iPhone running 2.2.1? I've tried and QuickPwn keeps shutting down on me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.