Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdevante

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
Does Apple usually release trials for iLife updates like they did for iWork? Thanks!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
no. afaik there has never been a trial for iLife. might, and probably has to do with the way they license the two out.

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
I know that its not new apple policy but still its dumb, I will pay for the upgrade if the faces and places features are good, that's all I'm interested in but I want to try it for myself, I don't want to read a review or visit an apple store. I think people will resort to less than legal solutions of acquiring it rather than taking a punt on £50 of software that may be rubbish...no matter how much reviews go on about it. /rant

yousoldtheworld

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
nowhere, Indiana
I know what you mean about wanting to try it first, but to download all of iLife would be somewhere around 4 GB (if I recall from a screenshot someone posted the other day, it was closer to 4.5). That's pretty huge for a demo. iWork was much smaller in comparison.

And as for people settling for less than legal means of acquiring it...well, people will do that whether there's a demo or not. A demo would be nice, but I get why there isn't one.

Aquatic

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
Marin County, California
I know that its not new apple policy but still its dumb, I will pay for the upgrade if the faces and places features are good, that's all I'm interested in but I want to try it for myself, I don't want to read a review or visit an apple store. I think people will resort to less than legal solutions of acquiring it rather than taking a punt on £50 of software that may be rubbish...no matter how much reviews go on about it. /rant

When you upgrade iLife, you upgrade your libraries as well (iPhoto Library, iWeb domain.sites...). Going back is not a simple option; there's no going back. And saying, "just back it up first," is not valid (not that anyone did). Many people won't, so they'll be stuck having to buy the upgrade. Apple may pull a few tricks, but "getting you to break your precious photo album so you have to buy their new product" isn't their style.

harirajan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
When you upgrade iLife, you upgrade your libraries as well (iPhoto Library, iWeb domain.sites...). Going back is not a simple option; there's no going back. And saying, "just back it up first," is not valid (not that anyone did). Many people won't, so they'll be stuck having to buy the upgrade. Apple may pull a few tricks, but "getting you to break your precious photo album so you have to buy their new product" isn't their style.

So what happens after the trial ?? Does iPhoto 9 or iMovie 9 stop working completely. ???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.