Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OverandOut

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Is your white Macbook dirty? When I say dirty, I mean the palm rests and track pad? Well mine was and it bugged me endlessly.

I searched through tons of web pages looking for simple cleaning solutions which wouldn't cost me a bomb and wouldn't need to be imported. Looking through 99.9% of threads, people have said that "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" did wonders for dirty marks but of course, It's not available in the UK. I took some time looking for a British solution and came across "Doktor Power Magic Erasers", originally distributed by JML but unfortunately aren't sold anymore. That's where eBay came in handy.

To make a long story short, I bought a couple and received them today. They are basically sponges that you only need to wet to make them work. I used one just 15 minutes ago and it worked :D I'm happy that my palm rests are looking a lot cleaner but my main annoyance is that they don't work on the track pad but I can live with that. Anyway, if you want to clean up yours then I suggest hunting around on eBay.

I've attached a couple of pictures to show the sponge in action...

The first two pictures show how dirty my palm rests were, the next one shows how clean the left palm rest is compared to the right (bad quality, take on my iPhone in bad lighting), then the last two are to show how clean they both are compared to the two originals. You can still see how dirty my track pad is though :(

It's hard for me to show you how much it worked but all I can say is it's worth the money to clean your Macbook and I suggest you all have a go. If you do, please post 'before and after' photos here, I'd love to see your results ;)

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    738.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    784.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    792 KB · Views: 91
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    692.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    519.1 KB · Views: 94

ash987

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
My first apple (last gen ibook 12 inch) used to get very dirty.

That was, until I cleaned the palm rest and trackpad with a baby wipe. Whatever chemical is in the wipe did the trick. Presuming that the material is the same for the current white MBs it should work. Failing that, a brand new pencil eraser works on the tougher areas.

OverandOut

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
My first apple (last gen ibook 12 inch) used to get very dirty.

That was, until I cleaned the palm rest and trackpad with a baby wipe. Whatever chemical is in the wipe did the trick. Presuming that the material is the same for the current white MBs it should work. Failing that, a brand new pencil eraser works on the tougher areas.

I might have to try that, my track pad is really annoying me! :)

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
You need something with a strong solvent in it to remove the grease and dirt out of the plastic.

helical

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2008
Mexico
If your machine is plagued with this problem but still under warranty take it to your nearest Authorised Service Centre and they should be able to replace the Top Case free of charge.

It's a known problem.

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
I've put a clear plastic coating on my palmrests and trackpad.There precut for the macbook and cost me around £5 from ebay.

Keeps it clean and i don't really notice its there

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
When I first read the title to this thread I wasn't sure if you were looking for Macbooks that are white or Macbook OWNERS that are white. I guess we have our answer.

OverandOut

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
When I first read the title to this thread I wasn't sure if you were looking for Macbooks that are white or Macbook OWNERS that are white. I guess we have our answer.

Lol I guess I should re-read my titles before I post them ;) I didn't notice until you said :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.