Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
First I must say that I love my iPhone but I have been having so much problem and I dont know what else to do. I lived in Idaho and now I moved to Arizona and I am having same problems.

My phone drops calls and I can live with that, the problem that i have is:

- People will call me and they will hear rings and after so many rings (6-7) my answering machine is going to pick up. However, phone is sitting next to me but is not ringing at all, I dont see anything on my phone, my phone is not ringing nor I see missed calls and I do have all bars. So unless they leave me message I have no clue that they even called me.

- People will call me and they will hear 2 rings and my answering machine is going to pick up. However, phone is sitting next ti me but is not ringing at all, I dont see anything on my phone, my phone is not ringing nor I see missed calls and I do have all bars. So unless they leave me message I have no clue that they even called me.

This has been happening in Idaho, Arizona and all over the place in those two states. Its not happening all the time but it does almost everyday that I know about.

- I got new SIM CARD two weeks ago
- I replaced my iPhone 3G
- Second phone on the account iPhone (first generation) works fine
- I pay $200 for service that doesn't work

I really dont know what to do.....I am not crazy my phone simply does not ring,

davyreins

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Ann Arbor
I had a similar problem with my first iPhone 3g. I had the phone replaced (not the SIM) and the issue stopped. If you have replaced your phone and SIM card then I'm not sure what the deal is....unless you got two lemon iPhones.

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I had a similar problem with my first iPhone 3g. I had the phone replaced (not the SIM) and the issue stopped. If you have replaced your phone and SIM card then I'm not sure what the deal is....unless you got two lemon iPhones.

Likelihood of that is just to low...anyone else had problems like this?

Phxscott

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
I've had the exact problem. It occurs when the phone is in sleep mode. I replace the phone yesterday, problem persisted. So I deleted all content and settings (took an hour) and then used the option "set up as a new phone" in iTunes. I still have the issue. Browse the boards, we are not alone.

davyreins

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Ann Arbor
Sounds like there is no good answer. If you want to waste a minute, maybe try resetting your network settings? Still, that probably won't work.

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I've had the exact problem. It occurs when the phone is in sleep mode. I replace the phone yesterday, problem persisted. So I deleted all content and settings (took an hour) and then used the option "set up as a new phone" in iTunes. I still have the issue. Browse the boards, we are not alone.

Yes, my phone is also in the sleep mode. I did try setting up as new phone and still same problems.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Interesting, it just happened to me earlier. I was at Best Buy and apparently my iPhone never rang even though someone was calling me - which was my brother trying to look for me. I thought it was just a glitch, so I'm not alone it looks like...

If I may add, same situation as OP too, it was directed to voicemail. No vibrates or ring tones were played considering it wasn't on silent. I've had this iPhone since the first day of release, hmm. I'll check with a local Apple store on my next free time.

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Interesting, it just happened to me earlier. I was at Best Buy and apparently my iPhone never rang even though someone was calling me - which was my brother trying to look for me. I thought it was just a glitch, so I'm not alone it looks like...

If I may add, same situation as OP too, it was directed to voicemail. No vibrates or ring tones were played considering it wasn't on silent. I've had this iPhone since the first day of release, hmm. I'll check with a local Apple store on my next free time.

I have the same problem when phone is on silent or ring.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I have the same problem when phone is on silent or ring.

I'll probably be at the Apple Store this Friday, I suggest you visit your local Apple store too and make sure you back up your iPhone with iTunes first. Mine was just a first time, yours is somewhat more.

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'll probably be at the Apple Store this Friday, I suggest you visit your local Apple store too and make sure you back up your iPhone with iTunes first. Mine was just a first time, yours is somewhat more.

I have already replaced my phone and the sim card.....still the same problem I really don't know what to do.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I have already exchanged my phone and the sim card.....still the same problem I really don't know what to do.

Explain it to them, that that was your second(?) phone exchanged already and still defective. I haven't seen any from Arizona posting with issues of no-rings on iPhones at the forums (yet?) so I'm assuming it's a hardware issue.

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Phxscott, I did call ATT tech support and guy that I was talking to told me that sometimes call forwarding may be set on on the number side (not phone), so he told me to punch #002# and he told he did the reset call forwarding from their side. I am going to wait and see, try calling them and see if for some reason you had call forwarding set on the account.....let us know.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
- Second phone on the account iPhone (first generation) works fine

Is the new phone using 3G? Can you turn that off for a day or two and see if that works?

If it works fine on EDGE (like your old phone did) then it may prove that there are problems with the 3G network in your area. That's not a solution, but at least you can stop trying to fix your phone.

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Is the new phone using 3G? Can you turn that off for a day or two and see if that works?

If it works fine on EDGE (like your old phone did) then it may prove that there are problems with the 3G network in your area. That's not a solution, but at least you can stop trying to fix your phone.

I am going to wait day or two to see if this reset that ATT did is going to help if that does not help I am going to try turning off my 3G and see if that is going to help. Can it be problem with the 3G even if I have all signal bars? Also this has happening in both Idaho and Arizona on two new 3G iPhones.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Can it be problem with the 3G even if I have all signal bars?

Sure. Any computer system can mess up, there could be something about your phone number that's being handled weird by AT&T's computers.

Also this has happening in both Idaho and Arizona on two new 3G iPhones.

It's obviously not the actual network, then, since it's happening everywhere. Nor is it likely the phone since you've replaced that. But I could very well imagine that there's something wrong in AT&T's software with your user ID/phone number/account... Something.

I'm just guessing here, but I think the problem will be solved by continuing to talk to AT&T, not Apple. So yes, at the moment, waiting to see if their last suggestion worked is what I would do too.

No1451

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Its not limited to AT&T, I am in Canada(so Rogers) and it just happened to me.

My mom called and I have a missed call, I have a voicemail entry but the phone never rang or vibrated. Weird ****, and it has happened a number of times before to me.

Gbourla

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
Trouble in AZ too

I too am in Arizona and last night in fact I was on the phone with CS/technical, trying to find out why my phone wasn't ringing and sms messages weren't coming or going. My wife has an iphone too which seemed to be ok. As for mine the CS attributed it to a bad sim card which i need to get a new one today. Hopefully it helps because my iphone is awesome. At&t so far is a nightmare, here in Arizona anyways.

Phxscott

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
It's not the network

IMHO, it's not the AT&T network, here's why...

If I call my cell phone from my desk phone while the cell phone is in sleep mode... nadda. No ring, no vibrate, nothing (this is after it's been asleep for a minute or so).

However, if I then manually wake up the phone and call it, the call comes through.

Last, this problem happens no matter where I'm at in town.

So, it seems to me that the signal is clearing getting to the phone but there's a problem with the modem not waking the phone up. For whatever it's worth, the techie at the apple store told me I had experienced 60 modem resets in less than two days. According to the techie, that is unheard of and to him a clear indication of a hardware issue (they replaced my phone on the spot).

Unfortunately, as I said before, my new phone has the same issue! So, I'm marching back for another phone... Oh, I did replace my SIM card too.

Best of luck and please let me know if you learn anything !

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I too am in Arizona and last night in fact I was on the phone with CS/technical, trying to find out why my phone wasn't ringing and sms messages weren't coming or going. My wife has an iphone too which seemed to be ok. As for mine the CS attributed it to a bad sim card which i need to get a new one today. Hopefully it helps because my iphone is awesome. At&t so far is a nightmare, here in Arizona anyways.

Gbourla, let us know if new SIM helps out.

davyreins

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Ann Arbor
Yeah, even if you show full bars that doesn't necessarily correspond to the strength of the 3g signal you are getting. Like if you are in a building, 3g signals have a more difficult time getting through. It's kinda weird, but that's what a genius at the apple store told me

whlphil

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
Same problems in UK on O2 aswell both 2g and 3g

Yep i can confirm ive had this aswell, occasionally when in sleep - seems worse when on a weak signal. Ive had this happen on 3g phone and also on my Original 2g.

Ive also had another more common problem of it not notifying incoming calls when on ipod, now this only happens when connected to Bmw's idrive thro the usb+jack connector if its on headphones it's fine.

I got told by O2 in the UK to pull the sim while the phone was on which apparently resets network settings at there end, its been much better since that but does occasionally still do it. (I'd check with your provider before pulling the sim while live as it might not do the same on other networks).

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
I had this problem with a 2G phone a couple of weeks ago. I did a hard reset and it cured the problem. I haven't seen that mentioned in this thread, but it would be a good idea to try it for anyone who hasn't already.

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
Uh-oh. My friend rang me the other day, when I next saw him he was asking why I never answered his call. I told him I never got a call, and even showed him my voicemail/missed calls and such :confused:

jppotts

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
This happened to my wife's iphone several weeks ago. Talked to Apple, Att, Apple again. Finally tried ATT one more time and was eventually put in touch with their "expert", a nice lady who fixed the problem in about 10 minutes. The details were over my head, but she said something like "a call sometimes gets stuck in a cell tower acting as a block to any other calls" I think she completely took the phone off the ATT network and then put it back. Probably a real dumbed-down explanation but everything has worked well since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.