Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TtimeWithTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
About a week ago, the fans in my pro randomly started getting really loud. I've been checking my iStat and the RPMs haven't been anything abnormal. although i do notice anywhere from a 1 rpm, to a 30 rpm difference between the 2 fans.

Earlier, about a month ago, my pro would randomly freeze/lock up the entire system, and the only way to get out of it was a hard reboot. I reset the P ram and that seemed to fix that problem.

I would take it into the apple store and not just let them deal with it, but i am going back to school on sunday, and my school is 2 states away. Should i just wait till i get to school to take it in? or would they be able to fix it on the spot.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
This happened to me too at the beginning of my ownership. It happened again yesterday. I'm not sure, either way if they fail I don't really care since Apple will fix it up. But yeah it is strange.

It sounds like a loud grinding/ticking noise right?

bolen

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Sweden
My left fan had this issue a couple of weeks ago, it got worse and worse and finally it had a constant loud and unbearable noise from the left fan. I went to my local authorized service partner on a Thursday, they ordered the fans (I didn't have to give them the computer while waiting for the delivery). On the following Monday they called me up, telling me that the fans had arrived. I went down there during my lunch break and gave them my precious machine, two hours later they called and said that they've replaced the fans and it was working as supposed again! Excellent support and I'm back using my now completely silent MBP again.

I've heard of 3-4 other people around some forums that is having the same failing left fan. It sounds like there is a batch of defect fans in the unibodies. I was really surprised that a fan gave up after only 1.5-2 months.. that shouldn't happen.

I'm just hoping that the new fans in my machine is the real deal so to speak, that they'll last at least as long as the machine it self. :)

I hope that you guys will receive the same excellent service as I did!

yabai

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2007
Just got my Unibody back from Applecare. Both my fans were operating okay, but rattling very loud. They replaced both fans and sent it back to me. Seems like this is a problem, but Applecare covers this sort of thing so I guess it's okay. Maybe a bad batch of fans?

MacFever

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
Apple quality for you.

sucks if you live in another country and no access to an Apple store.

sleepyyellow

macrumors regular
ya i have that problem some times, all i do is smcfancontrol and let them run at high rpm for like 1 min and then its good again, if i would live in the states i would get the fans replaced but where i live there arent official apple stores...

bolen

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Sweden
ya i have that problem some times, all i do is smcfancontrol and let them run at high rpm for like 1 min and then its good again, if i would live in the states i would get the fans replaced but where i live there arent official apple stores...

My fans acted like that in the beginning, then they got worse though. Much worse. The last couple of days before I got mine to service the whole computer vibrated like crazy due to the fan.

I don't live in the US either, I live in Sweden... and we don't have any official Apple Store's here, just authorized dealers/service partners. But they're probably just as good. I'm really happy with the service I got and everything is working again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.