Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dominordelingua

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
My schedule is currently super busy with school, work and an internship, so there are times when I want my phone to blare its alarm when someone calls and times when I really need it to be quiet.

Does someone know of an app that can automatically silence the iPhone based on a set schedule. For example, I have a class each week on tuesday from 8am to 9:20am, at 8am sharp the iPhone will silence itself and all calls are either routed to voicemail or at least no ringer volume. Once class is over at 9:20 the phone would automatically return to the normal ringer and sound setting.

Does anyone know of an app that does this? If not, its a good idea, isn't it?;)

If this isn't available find the iPhone developer nearest you and pressure them into it.:p

Thanks

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
The vibrate/ring function is deeply tied to the hardware switch. You can't easily change it in software (software status wouldn't correspond to the hardware status). Furthermore, the official SDK has no access to those structures. You'd need a jailbroken phone to even get near that configuration.

But... How hard is it to turn that little switch the other way? I do it all the time...

notintheleast

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
NC
The vibrate/ring function is deeply tied to the hardware switch. You can't easily change it in software (software status wouldn't correspond to the hardware status). Furthermore, the official SDK has no access to those structures. You'd need a jailbroken phone to even get near that configuration.

But... How hard is it to turn that little switch the other way? I do it all the time...

Your right, the switch is easy enough. That being said, the iPhone really could do with some profile settings that you could easily switch between. I've had phone that did that since '00 at least. Just another one of the shortcomings of the iPhone...

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Your right, the switch is easy enough. That being said, the iPhone really could do with some profile settings that you could easily switch between. I've had phone that did that since '00 at least. Just another one of the shortcomings of the iPhone...

How good was that phone is '00 surfing the web? In the early '80 s I had a phone that came in a big bag, why doesn't the iPhone?

Every device can't be everything to everyone.

notintheleast

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
NC
How good was that phone is '00 surfing the web? In the early '80 s I had a phone that came in a big bag, why doesn't the iPhone?

Every device can't be everything to everyone.

Yeah, yeah, I know, the iPhone is still way better in every way, but this is something simple. I think you missed my point...

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
The vibrate/ring function is deeply tied to the hardware switch.

I would assume you have seen the software behind that theory? If the Apple engineers wrote the OS right, it should be as simple as changing the BOOL value on an instance variable.

I flip the switch all the time too, and I forget to flip the switch all the time. The switch also gets flipped while the phone is in my pocket too! A software silent mode for the time of day would be great!

kdarling

macrumors P6
That being said, the iPhone really could do with some profile settings that you could easily switch between. I've had phone that did that since '00 at least. Just another one of the shortcomings of the iPhone...

Total agreement.

There are so many things every phone should be able to do... as a phone... before it takes on other duties.

Especially when it claims to be "five years ahead".

At the least, give access to programmers so we can implement desirable features, if the maker won't.

notintheleast

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
NC
Total agreement.

There are so many things every phone should be able to do... as a phone... before it takes on other duties.

Especially when it claims to be "five years ahead".

At the least, give access to programmers so we can implement desirable features, if the maker won't.

Exactly. Its really sad, some of the trivial things apple will not allow programmers to develop for this phone. Its an awesome device, and it is years ahead in some areas, but its in a class of its own in how far behind it is in others....

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Yeah, yeah, I know, the iPhone is still way better in every way, but this is something simple. I think you missed my point...

No I don't miss the point, everything everybody wants is "something simple" if it had all of them it would be a big bloated hunk of feces.

I would assume you have seen the software behind that theory? If the Apple engineers wrote the OS right, it should be as simple as changing the BOOL value on an instance variable.

I flip the switch all the time too, and I forget to flip the switch all the time. The switch also gets flipped while the phone is in my pocket too! A software silent mode for the time of day would be great!

What would you want for when you forgot to shut it off via the software, maybe an app that reads your mind, or listens to the surrounding area and decides if the ringer should be on or off?

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
A software silent mode for the time of day would be great!

Nope. It would be awful, like every other piece of junk on the market. Hey, Motorolas have software silent mode, why doesn't the iPhone? Because you can never ever ever get the Motorola to shut up. It has no silent mode. The iPhone does. It works as advertised. No need to muddy it up with unnecessary features and controls that no one is ever going to find or use. That is called a lousy user experience.

Nanook

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2008
LA, CA
No I don't miss the point, everything everybody wants is "something simple" if it had all of them it would be a big bloated hunk of feces.
You say "bloated." I say "useful."

Frankly, I'd be satisfied with a "silent" switch that actually silenced the device, and not just the ringer.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Nope. It would be awful, like every other piece of junk on the market. Hey, Motorolas have software silent mode, why doesn't the iPhone? Because you can never ever ever get the Motorola to shut up. It has no silent mode. The iPhone does. It works as advertised. No need to muddy it up with unnecessary features and controls that no one is ever going to find or use. That is called a lousy user experience.

WHAT?
You're missing the point! The software silence mode would work in conjunction with the hardware mode. You would have a simple schedule THAT YOU WOULD SET, which would be OFF MY DEFAULT! You would say, Monday-Friday, 8-3 place the phone on vibrate only. There is nothing to say you couldn't manually turn it off later.

This doesn't get in the way of anyone, because it is 100% OPT IN!
:rolleyes:

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
Even if it had software to put it into silent mode, the toggle on the side would appear on when it is off, and visa versa. Which would really conpuddle my small brain when I go into my pocket to feel if the phone is on silent or not when I go into class... :p I love the silent rocker switch as it is, because I can physically feel if the phone is on silent or not without having to pull it out and check, and it's just so easy, quick and simple to do :)

dominordelingua

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
WHAT?
You're missing the point! The software silence mode would work in conjunction with the hardware mode. You would have a simple schedule THAT YOU WOULD SET, which would be OFF MY DEFAULT! You would say, Monday-Friday, 8-3 place the phone on vibrate only. There is nothing to say you couldn't manually turn it off later.

This doesn't get in the way of anyone, because it is 100% OPT IN!
:rolleyes:

Exactly! I don't see how it couldn't work, but i'm no expert. I would still love to see this be realized as I think its an excellent idea.

I don't currently have the iPhone, but it should be arriving in the mail Tues, so I didn't know about the rocker silence switch. I could see how that might get confusing, but I still like my idea better. :D

Thanks guys;)

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
i saw someone post this in another topic, so this is not my own material

"is there some app that can make my iphone wake up 15 mins before me, warm the shower, and cook me breakfast."

i mean come on if it is too hard to flip the switch then you dont deserve an iphone

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
WHAT?
You're missing the point! The software silence mode would work in conjunction with the hardware mode.

The issue there is that you have a hardware switch whose sole designation is to show whether the phone is going to make noise or not. When software deviates from this selection of on/off, then you run into issues.

Consider this. You have a Mac and a set of external speakers. The speakers have an on/off switch, and the volume is determined by your Mac. You also have your System Preferences application, and within it is the option for a sound schedule. You sit down to watch a youtube video, listen to music, etc. No sound. The green light on the speakers says they're on. You hit the volume button on your keyboard; volume is up. You have to go dig around in your System Preferences now and disable your schedule. Not only can this become frustrating, as you might forget to re-enable the schedule, but it complicates what was once a matter of checking the green light.

Don't get me wrong, as I know that you are only hoping to improve the iPhones ability to just do what you want. But that would be a little too Microsoft in execution. They classically create features in their software that are meant to help, but in reality create complexities because they are hidden and often get in the way.

Not having to navigate menus for something as simple as volume control is part of why Apple got into the phone biz. They want these devices to be powerful, but non-intimidating and easy to use. Imagine if you had your silent mode set until 3. You have a meeting from 1-3 but it runs a little late. You didn't anticipate this, but neither did you give it another thought as you know your phone is already on silent. Ring ring.

Again, I understand where you are coming from and I probably over-thought the realm of possibilities here, but again, design choices are made for a reason.

sergiuria

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
Near a bunch of T-Rex
The issue there is that you have a hardware switch whose sole designation is to show whether the phone is going to make noise or not. When software deviates from this selection of on/off, then you run into issues.

Consider this. You have a Mac and a set of external speakers. The speakers have an on/off switch, and the volume is determined by your Mac. You also have your System Preferences application, and within it is the option for a sound schedule. You sit down to watch a youtube video, listen to music, etc. No sound. The green light on the speakers says they're on. You hit the volume button on your keyboard; volume is up. You have to go dig around in your System Preferences now and disable your schedule. Not only can this become frustrating, as you might forget to re-enable the schedule, but it complicates what was once a matter of checking the green light.

Don't get me wrong, as I know that you are only hoping to improve the iPhones ability to just do what you want. But that would be a little too Microsoft in execution. They classically create features in their software that are meant to help, but in reality create complexities because they are hidden and often get in the way.

Not having to navigate menus for something as simple as volume control is part of why Apple got into the phone biz. They want these devices to be powerful, but non-intimidating and easy to use. Imagine if you had your silent mode set until 3. You have a meeting from 1-3 but it runs a little late. You didn't anticipate this, but neither did you give it another thought as you know your phone is already on silent. Ring ring.

Again, I understand where you are coming from and I probably over-thought the realm of possibilities here, but again, design choices are made for a reason.

One of the best posts I've read here

peperoni

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
i saw someone post this in another topic, so this is not my own material

"is there some app that can make my iphone wake up 15 mins before me, warm the shower, and cook me breakfast."

i mean come on if it is too hard to flip the switch then you dont deserve an iphone

No it isn't too hard to switch it manually, but why shouldn't you make your a bit easier? Switching phone to silent is just one of those things that atleast I sometimes forget to do (and then somehow someone always calls me in awkward situations). But yeah, it's kinda moot point because the HW switch kinda negates any chance of controlling switching to silent in SW.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I had an old Nokia that would allow you to set a scheduled time for the phone to be on vibrate mode and automaticly switch back to ring. That was great for someone in work or school. It would avoid having to use the vibrate switch everyday, especially when people have had that thing break off.

It would make sense to add that feature since apple has been noted to be trying to get a patent for an auto ringer volume adjustment (soft ringer in quiet places... louder in louder places)

If the iphone is the "jesus phone" then by all means it should allow its users to do anything they want to do and the phones itself to be more cutomized to each users needs.

dominordelingua

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008

Thank you so much Vandlism for such an awesome post. That all makes perfect sense.:D

Great analogy, btw. Posts like these are what make visiting macrumors.com worth it. ;)

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

This already happens. The switch, rediculously, doesn't override apps. And apps weren't even able to detect which setting it was on until 2.2.

Not having to navigate menus for something as simple as volume control is part of why Apple got into the phone biz.

Again, something Apple isn't very good at. Wanna turn wifi on or off? Dig through menus. You can't create a shortcut, or even an app to do it for you. Wanna change the EQ settings (which I want to do on a *per song* basis)? You've got to come out of the iPod application, go through a flood of menus and change it, then go back into the iPod app. Every time.

It's time for us to stop saying the iPhone is so great at this, because it's pretty bad at it a lot of the time.

Phazer

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Again, something Apple isn't very good at. Wanna turn wifi on or off? Dig through menus. You can't create a shortcut, or even an app to do it for you. Wanna change the EQ settings (which I want to do on a *per song* basis)? You've got to come out of the iPod application, go through a flood of menus and change it, then go back into the iPod app. Every time.

It's time for us to stop saying the iPhone is so great at this, because it's pretty bad at it a lot of the time.

Phazer

Dig through menus to turn wifi off? Settings-wifi-off, wow thats lots of digging.

EQ settings. Song is playing- hit home-settings-ipod-eq-choose setting-double click home button-choose ipod and you're back all the while the song was playing sounds terrible. 5 button presses wow.

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007

Actually you are just reinforcing my point on menus. You want to turn on/off your WiFi? You go to Settings from your Home screen and select WiFi. Yes it is within a menu, and an extra tap away from the Home screen, but you know exactly where it is without redundant buttons/settings elsewhere in the OS.

As far as the EQ settings for songs goes, navigating menus isn't necessary at all. The iPhone, same as the iPod, will sync over any EQ settings you have for each song. On your iPhone, select 'Flat' for your EQ. Then, any song without a preselected EQ in iTunes will play normally (as encoded) or with the the EQ you have chosen for that song in iTunes. No fuss necessary.

gperrone

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
I agree, profiles should be schedulable.

This thing uses a modified, light or some other variant of OS X, right. You can perform very simple to very complex operations on almost all Unix/Linux ports using software and script it and schedule it. Symbian phone have this capabilty, as do most Motorola phones. I would be very disapointed if I found out Androids didn't do it.

As for you, HUTCH1; I had a phone back in the late '90s that would make phone calls, and I still want that capability! Just because an older phone had a feature doesn't mean you should eliminate it in current models.

Maybee the solution would be to make the switch programmable, eg. to the right is on, to the left off. To the right on to the left automatic (software controlled), to the right off to the left software controlled.

The frustrating part to me it the evident crippling of the programmer's ability on many fronts. This phone is not a phone, it's a computer with a radio transmitter.

By the way, it's not five years ahead any more than a touchscreen computer is five years ahead of one without a touchscreen.

My next phone will be OpenMOKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.