Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

193224-read_300.png

Apple has posted a new iPhone ad, 'Read', to their ad gallery. The commercial highlights the diversity of applications available for the iPhone by showing brief snippets of three different apps linked by the common thread of "reading".

- Yelp [App Store]: find restaurants and browse restaurant reviews
- OsiriX [App Store]: physician-oriented application for viewing MRI images
- Classics [App Store]: eBook application offering over a dozen literary classics

Article Link: New iPhone Ad: 'Read'

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Love how AT&T claim to be the nation's fastest 3G network at the end....yah

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
- Classics [App Store]: eBook application offering over a dozen literary classics

Of course nobody will buy that app, because as Steve Jobs said less than a year ago (when talking about the Amazon ebook reader): "It doesn't matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don't read anymore... The whole conception is flawed at the top because people don't read anymore."
:)

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Pretty good commercial overall. Classics is an amazing book reader but I just wish they would start to add newer books:(

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
Apple is REALLy using this app store as the iPhones main selling point now.

They no longer brag about
"how fast the iPhone is"
"how easy it is to use"
or
"How everything just comes together"

now its always

"you can do this"
"you can do that"
"you can do whatever you want!"

i mean, not saying its not a good advertising scheme, in fact its brilliant way to say "Yeah can the blackberry do this, AND this?"

its just something i have noticed.

Maybe its cause due to lack of general features like MMS, or Copy/paste apple realised it was immoral to brag about how well the iPhone did everything.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Good for Apple. :)

This Classics app is nice and all, but I really would like to see Apple see what could happen with the possibility of the iPhone and iTunes platform going toe-to-toe with the Kindle. Digital books apps still seem too fragmented and the coverage far too restricted to me.

sminman

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
This commercial is so straight forward and to the point.

I love how it lets the user let their imagination run wild with 1000's upon 1000's Apps that can help them in their day to day life.

Great commercial...

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Great ad. The only thing that bugs the hell out of me about the ads is that they always cut it off at that chord in the song (I don't know the song, but it's likely a dominant or a similar functioning chord due to the leading tension) where you're expecting resolution, but it never comes.

maknik

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
Pretty good commercial overall. Classics is an amazing book reader but I just wish they would start to add newer books:(

I was playing around with a friend's copy, and before he got nervous, it seemed like you could open up the App package and replace one of the book files (they're just pdfs) with your own pdf, as long as it was properly formatted and chaptered. But I didn't actually save it and try it, so I'm not sure. Any owner want to give it a shot?

iopo

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
I guess that is intentional, this a commercial and so the resolution is...buying it
Great ad. The only thing that bugs the hell out of me about the ads is that they always cut it off at that chord in the song (I don't know the song, but it's likely a dominant or a similar functioning chord due to the leading tension) where you're expecting resolution, but it never comes.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Continues the trend of ads for the iPhone that would really be great if the same were done for Mac OS X;)

Too good - They need to do OS X ads though.

The iPhone and the app store are a lot different from what other cell phones offer. This kind of add makes people say "Whoa! my phone can't do that!"

OSX, however, isn't as different from Windows. Run an add showing mail or Finder and people will say "So what?"

What makes Macs better? Things like Time Machine, security, and the ability to run OSX and Windows. And oh look...the "I'm a Mac" ads adressed ALL of those, and you can't tell me the secret service agent isn't more memorable than a screen shot of "security" (whatever that might be, I"m not even sure).

jasonbrennan

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2006
Apple is REALLy using this app store as the iPhones main selling point now.
i mean, not saying its not a good advertising scheme, in fact its brilliant way to say "Yeah can the blackberry do this, AND this?"

its just something i have noticed.

Maybe its cause due to lack of general features like MMS, or Copy/paste apple realised it was immoral to brag about how well the iPhone did everything.

I don't think Apple considers those things to be "lacking", and I highly doubt you will ever see them on an iPhone. People always complained (on blogs) the iPod was lacking critical features like FM tuner, etc. But it never came. You know why? Because most people really don't care. At all. Sure, tech people might care, but mass market? No way.

And much the same way, mass market does not care about copy+paste. They don't really care about MMS either (email works better, and is cheaper -- it's a no brainer).

At first Apple was really marketing the phone as a great phone, because that's what it was. Now they are marketing it as a great platform, because that's what it is. The more users for this platform, the more developers. And the more developers, the more users. And then they start to dominate, much like Windows did in the 90s.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I wonder how many of the people who bought 'Classics' actually finished reading a book?

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Good for Apple. :)

This Classics app is nice and all, but I really would like to see Apple see what could happen with the possibility of the iPhone and iTunes platform going toe-to-toe with the Kindle. Digital books apps still seem too fragmented and the coverage far too restricted to me.

I would love to see Apple do something in this space...there's so much potential for more innovation.

Amazon's kindle also provides a very interesting model for iTunes. I can go on Amazon.com, shop for books for my kindle, and with one click order them. I go to my kindle when I'm done and there are my purchases waiting for me. When I'm done with the book, I can delete it from the kindle but get it back anytime I want by just selecting it from my library. Would love to see Apple do something like that for pictures, music and apps. Buy an app on iTunes, it shows up on your iPhone. Or upload an album to mobileme, and the album appears on your iPhone. Etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.