Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
So we've enabled Emoji on our iPhones. People on Twitter are using it, we can post it in the forums and view them in Mobile Safari, but on the Mac and in Windows the characters just show up as squares.

A friend and I searched around in the iPhone and have found the Emoji images. They are in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Webcore.framework/ and they are called emoji-XXXX.png, XXXX being the unicode character for each image.

I have extracted the images, gotten them onto my computer and fixed the PNGs so they are viewable on my Mac.

Anything beyond that is definitely beyond my technical ability... Does anyone here know how one might be able to get these Emoji images to show up system wide on the Mac? After talking to a few friends all they could think of were Firefox extensions and Adium xtras.

I want these in Apple Mail, Safari, Twitterific, Finder folders, iCal, etc. they have so many potential uses.

At the very least, I want to be able to view them on my Mac. It would be just awesome to be able to type them, but maybe that is asking too much.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Hey! The greasemonkey script is quite buggy. When I browse some sites (like MacRumors forums and Amazon) my computer beachballs for a moment and locks up every time I load a page. :(

I love the script, but want to PM me if you know how to fix this?

rhysmorgan

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hey! The greasemonkey script is quite buggy. When I browse some sites (like MacRumors forums and Amazon) my computer beachballs for a moment and locks up every time I load a page. :(

I love the script, but want to PM me if you know how to fix this?

I had exactly the same problem, and I know this isn't much of a fix, but still.
Maybe try disabling the script normally, and whenever you see the box, enable it.
That's what I'm doing, and yes, sometimes it does crash Firefox, but that's probably the best shot we're gonna get.

shamanskyh

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
I've been looking for this too

I found Emoji for iChat:

http://www.emojiforichat.com

I even sent the developer an email asking when "Emoji for Leopard" (or Snow Leopard) will come out. Maybe he's working on it..... I'll wait for a reply from him....

danshowbizz

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
Eventbox may READ the emojis and display them correctly... but what if I want to USE them myself? Type them?

How can I find a way to put emojis when I type, I'd love to use emojis in mail, in iCal, in any forum as well as in twitter/facebook and other clients I use via Eventbox...

Even though I can use them on my iPod Touch, I'm not using it all the time, since I spend more time on my MacBook Pro...

emoji

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
Hello,
I see this is an old thread but still. Does anyone have access to a possibly jailbroken device running iOS 6 with the new emoji emoticons and would be able to extract the PNGs from the above mentioned location on the file system? I would do it myself but my old iPad 1 only runs iOS 5 so I don't have the new icons. :rolleyes: Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.