Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
what do you guys think?

Personally, I don't really see the point in having HDMI. You get an HDCP compliant DVI port, and you have the ability to hook up Composite, SVideo, VGA, DVI and HDMI. I do not know if HDMI has the same versatility.

I put HDMI on the same level as a built in card reader or fingerprint reader, they are nice, and people like them, but frankly I fail to see the point in most instances.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Very very unlikely. DVI is HDMI out just without the sound (all you need is the right cable) and HDMI is not used enough in the computer world for Apple to put another port on their computers.

DocSmitty

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Lincoln, NE
That's more the type of connector you see on a media computer, as the HDMI connection is almost strictly for home theater use (connecting your laptop to a digital TV in this case)

The actual video signal is identical to a DVI output and you can buy a cheap adapter to go between the two if necessary. The obvious benefit for a multimedia computer is that you have the audio and video straight into your TV without additional audio cables, but that is not really the motivating force behind the MBP.

The one benefit (and to Apple, drawback) for laptops is the physical size of an HDMI connection would not require modification to fit into a very slim notebook, as DVI does with their mini-dvi output. For PCs where compatibility is king that is great, but Apple does love their proprietary hardware ;)

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
any chance of a esata port?

That I can give a maybe to. But still only a maybe... I think that a stumbling block for having that on a notebook is that it is really only useful for 1 thing, external storage, and the MacBook Pro already has 4 ports for that (2 USB, 1 FW400, 1FW800), plus the expresscard34 slot which can allow you to hook up even more.

On a system like the MacBook Pro, where thin is in, and every millimeter of space counts, I would imagine that adding an eSATA port would be a fairly tough decision. You have to weigh the advantages against the added circuitry inside, and the space you'd have to find outside. Also, you can get an expresscard34 card that will give you 2 eSATA ports for only $60 or so. Which is more or less a drop in the bucket when you consider the MacBook Pro retails for $2000

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
HDMI output on a Macbook Pro would be a step down.

1. HDMI doesn't support DVI dual link, so using your 30" cinema display will be out.

2. HDMI doesn't do analog VGA, so you'd need an extra port to do that. There's no HDMI to VGA adapter and you can't make one.

3. A simple cable is all you need to do HDMI from an existing DVI port. The standards are compatible as far as the video signal goes. You need an extra cable for sound, but is that really a bad price to pay to not lose the above two features?

Let's just stick with a regular DVI port. It's the best, most versatile solution.

rifo

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
Look folks,

HDMI is the home theater/multi-channel audio/video standard connector. It can carry full 1080P plus digital surround signal in a single cable. I think that a macpro that is designed to run high end video editing that it is pretty much a given that is should have a fully functional HDMI output connection. The days of composite video connections (some do not pass 1080P) and separate 7.1 audio connections are over. Graduate to the 21st century - Please!

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Nope, because Apple have chosen the Oh So Great Mini Display Port.

*Clap Clap* Apple.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Look folks,

HDMI is the home theater/multi-channel audio/video standard connector. It can carry full 1080P plus digital surround signal in a single cable. I think that a macpro that is designed to run high end video editing that it is pretty much a given that is should have a fully functional HDMI output connection. The days of composite video connections (some do not pass 1080P) and separate 7.1 audio connections are over. Graduate to the 21st century - Please!

DVI -> HDMI cable. $20 at the Apple Store.

Problem solved.

(And the Mac Pro has optical out.)

Modacke

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
Dunno.... Probably not because Apple wants to slim down the Macbook and Macbook pros. Adding an HDMI will be a bump in Apple's dream. This is why Apple made the mini-display port.

MurrMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009

Yes, given HD content is available, having the video and audio in one cable would be very handy,
yes I could use the optical out, but it's a bit of a hassle.. HDMi seems the most logical approach to high end audio and video output

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Personally, I don't really see the point in having HDMI. You get an HDCP compliant DVI port, and you have the ability to hook up Composite, SVideo, VGA, DVI and HDMI. I do not know if HDMI has the same versatility.

I put HDMI on the same level as a built in card reader or fingerprint reader, they are nice, and people like them, but frankly I fail to see the point in most instances.

You say that because apple doesn't provide it like 90% of other hardware manufacturers have. HDMI is pretty much a standard and should be an output on any of these configurations.

P Mentior

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Ohio
I think that the real problem is if Apple did decide to use HDMI instead of DVI/MDP is that HDMI doesn't support VGA and it only supports conversion to single link DVI which seriously limits the resolution. For instance, if you were to run a 30" ACD over single link it would only support a resolution of 1280x800. I don't know about you but I'd think that having that resolution on a 30" display would be absolutely horrid. And I don;t think apple is about to just add HDMI and keep MDP. They seem to be moving to fewer and smaller ports these days.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
I think that the real problem is if Apple did decide to use HDMI instead of DVI/MDP is that HDMI doesn't support VGA and it only supports conversion to single link DVI which seriously limits the resolution. For instance, if you were to run a 30" ACD over single link it would only support a resolution of 1280x800. I don't know about you but I'd think that having that resolution on a 30" display would be absolutely horrid. And I don;t think apple is about to just add HDMI and keep MDP. They seem to be moving to fewer and smaller ports these days.

It wouldn't be a problem if Apple had just supported it from jump like all other folks do so that the bajillion devices that use HDMI would work right out of the box.

Akira1980

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
San Diego
I can see it happening when Apple decides to put Blu-Ray on their laptops. Then it's like having portable Blu-Ray players that you can hook it up to the TV. That would be nice when you are on the go. Hook Blu-Ray to the hotel room's TV. :)

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
"Any possibility of macbook pro getting HDMI output?"

No, not as a dedicated port.

To be fair, Apple's Mini DisplayPort supports DVI, VGA, and HDMI (each with the proper adapter). However, it does NOT support any of the analog TV formats (i.e. composite, s-video, and component).

Furthermore, DisplayPort can optionally support audio although there is no guarantee that Apple will support that (and we don't know whether the current ports could even support audio after a firmware/software update).

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
I don't see the point.. there are HDMI adapters out there.

that you have to pay for as a tax for being an Apple user. It would be nice to use my laptop just like all my other devices that use HDMI and plug directly into my TV. Any excuses for native support in my mind are just that excuses.

mrbrightside623

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
I just use a DVI cable with a DVI to HDMI adapter to plug it into my LCD HDTV and a audio cable for sound. Bought the items through Amazon.com so I didn't have to waste a crap load of money buying it from BB or Fry's

-Tony

ShiryuX

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
Luxembourg
I just use a DVI cable with a DVI to HDMI adapter to plug it into my LCD HDTV and a audio cable for sound. Bought the items through Amazon.com so I didn't have to waste a crap load of money buying it from BB or Fry's

-Tony

Was it an easy setup? I have tried to connect a generic Toshiba laptop to a Panasonic Viera TV through VGA and it turned okay but the screen needed some calibration (didn't have time though, but it was 720p easily but 1080p didn't make it look good for some reason, wasn't full screen iirc).

I was wondering if I hook up a MBP 13" with Minidisplay-HDMI and an audio cable, will it be easy to calibrate the screen? Will it display 1080P or only 720P resolutions? (Let's presume it's a Full HDTV)
Also, is the quality better, same or worse than VGA?

Would be generally used for gaming and movies, perhaps music too. :apple: If it was without any hassles, that'd be great :D

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I was wondering if I hook up a MBP 13" with Minidisplay-HDMI and an audio cable, will it be easy to calibrate the screen? Will it display 1080P or only 720P resolutions? (Let's presume it's a Full HDTV)
Also, is the quality better, same or worse than VGA?

Would be generally used for gaming and movies, perhaps music too. :apple: If it was without any hassles, that'd be great :D

that would be perfect!! i use my original CD MBP with no problems on my HDTV at 1920x1080 (mind you it is a DVI port). i use it for blu-ray playback, its amazing :)

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
that would be perfect!! i use my original CD MBP with no problems on my HDTV at 1920x1080 (mind you it is a DVI port). i use it for blu-ray playback, its amazing :)

you play blu-rays? as in blu-ray mkv files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.