Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
As the title says, have any of you had an issue with antiglare coatings on your glasses? I got new lenses in my glasses a few months ago, and the sales person at Pearl Vision conned my Mom and I into getting the damn coating.

Over the past few months, I have noticed that after about an hour of wearing the glasses, that a greasy "film" builds up on the glasses. The eyeglass cleaner doesn't even remove the grease, I have to resort to using water, and a few times, I've even had to use iKlear on them, because water didn't even work :)eek:).

Also, I've noticed that these lenses are scratching really easily. I never have had this problem with my other glasses (been wearing glasses since I was 7), and these were the first pair that I've actually kept in the case at night. I'm really ticked about this, because we paid $100 extra for the coating, and they've just been a pain in the @$$.

Does anyone else have an issue with antiglare coatings on their glasses? I'm just curious if I just got a bad set of lenses.

Don

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I don't get any additional coating on my glasses anymore for two reasons. First it scratches easily even if it's supposed to be scratch resistant. Second over time the coating eventually starts to degrade and leaves patches of uncoated or coated lens.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I don't get any additional coating on my glasses anymore for two reasons. First it scratches easily even if it's supposed to be scratch resistant. Second over time the coating eventually starts to degrade and leaves patches of uncoated or coated lens.

I've always gotten Transitions and normal anti-scratch, and I've never had any issue with either of them. But this time, I got the dang antiglare, and by default it came with "super anti-scratch":confused:, and I've had nothing but problems with the coatings this time around.

Don

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
Yeah, I sure do. I let my eye glass store talk me into plastic lenses with anti glare and anti scratch coatings (again!!!) just because tempered glass lenses would have cost an additional 60 dollars.

I feel ripped off (again!!!) for being so stupid to fall for their marketing speak. The coatings are almost worthless. I have to be careful what to clean the lenses with; many cleaners just smear and streak. It's generally more difficult to remove smudges. The anti scratch coatings are a joke also. The coating simply can't stop scratching from occurring on the plastic.

Although plastic lenses are lighter and safer than tempered glass lenses there is no comparison when it comes down to optical performance. Besides, my prescription is so weak the lenses are not thick at all and have even been mistaken for faux, designer specs.

The next time I buy another pair of glasses it will be with REAL glass, not plastic and WITHOUT any coatings. I have owned three sets of eye glasses with glass lenses and with every pair the frames ended up failing before the lenses. Every pair of glasses I owned with plastic lenses, the lenses became very scratched before the frames gave out.
:)

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Yeah, I sure do. I let my eye glass store talk me into plastic lenses with anti glare and anti scratch coatings (again!!!) just because tempered glass lenses would have cost an additional 60 dollars.

I feel ripped off (again!!!) for being so stupid to fall for their marketing speak. The coatings are almost worthless. I have to be careful what to clean the lenses with; many cleaners just smear and streak. It's generally more difficult to remove smudges. The anti scratch coatings are a joke also. The coating simply can't stop scratching from occurring on the plastic.

Although plastic lenses are lighter and safer than tempered glass lenses there is no comparison when it comes down to optical performance. Besides, my prescription is so weak the lenses are not thick at all and have even been mistaken for faux, designer specs.

The next time I buy another pair of glasses it will be with REAL glass, not plastic and WITHOUT any coatings. I have owned three sets of eye glasses with glass lenses and with every pair the frames ended up failing before the lenses. Every pair of glasses I owned with plastic lenses, the lenses became very scratched before the frames gave out.

I wish I had thin lenses! Mine are as thick as an Alienware "notebook":p My left eye makes everything look like a Dali painting:rolleyes:

Don

Reactions: Sword86

LowEnder

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Cleaning

I had to get anti-glare on my last set of lenses and was given very specific instructions on cleaning: use dishwashing detergent, then rinse with water, then dry with microfiber cloth.......and NEVER use an alcohol-based cleaner.
Obviously there was film build-up with the detergent, so I found a non-alcohol based cleaner (by Leader) that has worked very well.
As for scratches, keep that microfiber cloth clean!!! otherwise, dust/dirt build-up will scratch the lens
good luck!

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I had to get anti-glare on my last set of lenses and was given very specific instructions on cleaning: use dishwashing detergent, then rinse with water, then dry with microfiber cloth.......and NEVER use an alcohol-based cleaner.
Obviously there was film build-up with the detergent, so I found a non-alcohol based cleaner (by Leader) that has worked very well.
As for scratches, keep that microfiber cloth clean!!! otherwise, dust/dirt build-up will scratch the lens
good luck!

The sales person at Pearl Vision, told me to not use any type of soap/detergent on them ever:confused: I use a microfiber cloth that I clean every other day. I find that iKlear does a good job with the grease, but that stuff is waaaaaay to expensive to clean my glasses with! I'll be going back to the Transitions and normal anti-scratch this time around. If they're running a 2 for 1 special, I'll grab a second pair with the antiglare, because they are great for the computer (which I spend the majority of my time away from school on).

Don

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't really understand what the problem is with regards to plastic lenses, because I'm pretty sure all my lenses have been made of plastic. :eek:

My Serengeti sunglasses have glass lenses, but that's it. They both get greasy marks that I need to wipe off with the fibercloth, and they both allow fingerprints. I don't see the difference. :confused:

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I don't really understand what the problem is with regards to plastic lenses, because I'm pretty sure all my lenses have been made of plastic. :eek:

My Serengeti sunglasses have glass lenses, but that's it. They both get greasy marks that I need to wipe off with the fibercloth, and they both allow fingerprints. I don't see the difference. :confused:

It's not that they're plastic (all of my glasses have had polycarb lenses), it that the antiglare coating for some reason scratches really easily, and is like a magnet for grease. When I get home from school, it looks like someone went and rubbed lard on my glasses. It's just disgusting!

Don

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I don't think I bothered to get anti-glare coating the last time I got glasses simply because I only wear my glasses early in the morning and right before bed. Otherwise, it's all contacts.

The anti-glare coating can be a pain, because it's the same type used on most sunglasses. Scratching it will remove the coating, and it's not realistic to have glasses go through a normal amount of wear and tear in a given amount of time.

You should look into contacts. I've been wearing them since I was 12 and haven't looked back. No glare, great peripheral vision, and you get to show off your eyes more. ;)

Reactions: Sword86

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I have anti-glare coating on my glasses and I've never had a problem with them. I use a damp (water) microfiber cloth to clean them and it works out perfectly:)

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I don't think I bothered to get anti-glare coating the last time I got glasses simply because I only wear my glasses early in the morning and right before bed. Otherwise, it's all contacts.

The anti-glare coating can be a pain, because it's the same type used on most sunglasses. Scratching it will remove the coating, and it's not realistic to have glasses go through a normal amount of wear and tear in a given amount of time.

You should look into contacts. I've been wearing them since I was 12 and haven't looked back. No glare, great peripheral vision, and you get to show off your eyes more. ;)

I like my glasses. I'm known for my Prada frames, and I don't think I look good without my glasses. Plus I can't stand putting eyedrops in, much less contacts:D

Don

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I like my glasses. I'm known for my Prada frames, and I don't think I look good without my glasses.

Hmmm...that's always hard. I must admit, some guys just look hot in glasses while some don't.

Do some modeling for your boyfriend and see what he says.
Plus I can't stand putting eyedrops in, much less contacts:D

I thought that at first too, but you get used to it really fast. :)

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Hmmm...that's always hard. I must admit, some guys just look hot in glasses while some don't.

Do some modeling for your boyfriend and see what he says.

I thought that at first too, but you get used to it really fast. :)

Will do, I wonder what Nick will say?:hmmm:

Don

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Sometimes it's also hard to get a fair opinion from someone who's known you a while because they're used to your look. Just FYI.

That's true. I'm 99% sure that I'll keep my glasses, and just get the lenses that I was getting before (I need new lenses again anyways).

Don

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
And I'd rather keep wearing glasses because I think they look OK on me. ;)

Saying that, a large proportion of Chinese people need glasses, and they tend to buy nice funky ones, so when I wear my glasses, I either blend in with other Chinese people, or I fit some dorky stereotype that other people have of me. It's weird, because if you go to an Asian country, it's probably far cooler not to wear glasses since they're so commonplace. It's cool to wear contacts. In "western" society, I guess glasses can be cool if they're a bit funky and not so classic. In Asia, my cool glasses would just look boring.

I also think they look good on my face, so I wear them regardless of who I'm with. :) However, I definitely get a different feeling when I'm sitting with a lot of other Chinese people than I do if I'm sitting with non-Asians.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

Every eye doctor I have had has always strongely recomended the polycarb lenses (aka plastic) because first off they are stronger, more scratch resented, lighter and other advantages.

Add to that the polycarb lens are a lot easier to make. the Temper glass ones have to be form in the correct shape and can not be cut afterwords or it will shatter. There is an insane amount of tensile stress on surface of tempered glass. This is way it shatters the way it does.

For me my frames give out before my lens do but 2 years I am generally ready get something new. That and my glasses are pretty banged up.

Lastly my eye sight is fairly bad so I do not even want to know how think real glass would have to be.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
.....I have noticed that after about an hour of wearing the glasses, that a greasy "film" builds up on the glasses......

yep, that's what happens with the anti-glare coating! They're definitely a high maintenance issue......it's why I stopped getting it on my glasses

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
As for scratches, keep that microfiber cloth clean!!! otherwise, dust/dirt build-up will scratch the lens good luck!

How do you guys clean your microfibre cloth? Do you put it in the washing machine, or do you hand clean it with soap?

Like you I have an expensive new pair of glasses (bright red :D) and I'm trying to keep the lenses unscratched. It's really annoying as even after cleaning, they still seem smudged, and i think my cloth is probably dirty.

I have some other cloths, but I tried washing them in soap and water, and after I dried them, the texture just wasn't the same as when new.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
How do you guys clean your microfibre cloth? Do you put it in the washing machine, or do you hand clean it with soap?

Like you I have an expensive new pair of glasses (bright red :D) and I'm trying to keep the lenses unscratched. It's really annoying as even after cleaning, they still seem smudged, and i think my cloth is probably dirty.

I have some other cloths, but I tried washing them in soap and water, and after I dried them, the texture just wasn't the same as when new.

I use soap and hot water. They come out like new for me (I air dry them over night also). I've tried the washing machine before, and it ruins them for me.

Don

LowEnder

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
When my microfiber cloth starts getting dirty, I just stop by the optical store and pick up some more ...for FREE!
I mean I paid as much for the lenses and frame as an iPhone and one-year of a service contract! :eek:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Really? 6 years ago I bought some glasses with anti-glare/scratch resistant coating and it hasn't worn off them yet.

Also had no problems with a grease build up on any of my anti-glare lenses. I only clean them using a microfibre cloth and with a damp towel after a shower.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
How can you tell if the coating has worn off? Are there physical signs that you can see, or can you only tell when you begin to see glare?

Anyway, I can see what Dmac77 is talking about now. My lenses pick up grease quite easily, although I had always assumed that this would also happen with glass lenses, or other types of lenses.

It must be my eyelashes or something.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I have a big bottle of cleaner and some cloths, lenses will get dirty no matter what.

It also helps not to touch the lenses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.