Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andriivarko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Hi. I got an iPhone 3g from ebay. 8gb model. When i got it by mail,i flashed it to 2.2 firmware. Everything was working perfect. Than i forgot to turn off the phone and left it on the shelf for about 2 month. 3 days ago i tryed to power it on - of course it didnt. I have put it to charge from wall outlet for night, using original apple charger. At that time iphone showed me black screen with empty battery in the middle of display with charging flashlight symbol. So i left it for charging. When i woke up i saw that the condition of the phone was same like i left it 8 hours ago - black screen and empty battery symbol with flashlight. I disconnected charger and phone powered off immediately. I started seeking info in the web. I tryed to do hard reset - this didnt helped. Then i decided to replace fully charged battery from another, working iphone 3g. I did it and iphone woke up! What i did at the first time - flashed phone to the newest firmware...for some case. At this point i thought that the problem was with the battery that i left without charge for 2 month. But...
Two days passed and second replaced battery needed new charge. So i put the phone on charger - same problem. iPhone won't accumulate the charge.
I tryed all types of charging - from wall outlet, dock station, usb cable...but no succsess.
I dont know nobody who has or had same issue like i have. I dont know what to do.
And also i cant go to apple store, because i bought iphone from ebay and i remover warranty sticker to replace battery.

Dear technicians and forum members! Any ideas about what it could be?
Looking forward for your replies!
Sorry for my poor English

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Hi. I got an iPhone 3g from ebay. 8gb model. When i got it by mail,i flashed it to 2.2 firmware. Everything was working perfect. Than i forgot to turn off the phone and left it on the shelf for about 2 month. 3 days ago i tryed to power it on - of course it didnt. I have put it to charge from wall outlet for night, using original apple charger. At that time iphone showed me black screen with empty battery in the middle of display with charging flashlight symbol. So i left it for charging. When i woke up i saw that the condition of the phone was same like i left it 8 hours ago - black screen and empty battery symbol with flashlight. I disconnected charger and phone powered off immediately. I started seeking info in the web. I tryed to do hard reset - this didnt helped. Then i decided to replace fully charged battery from another, working iphone 3g. I did it and iphone woke up! What i did at the first time - flashed phone to the newest firmware...for some case. At this point i thought that the problem was with the battery that i left without charge for 2 month. But...
Two days passed and second replaced battery needed new charge. So i put the phone on charger - same problem. iPhone won't accumulate the charge.
I tryed all types of charging - from wall outlet, dock station, usb cable...but no succsess.
I dont know nobody who has or had same issue like i have. I dont know what to do.
And also i cant go to apple store, because i bought iphone from ebay and i remover warranty sticker to replace battery.

Dear technicians and forum members! Any ideas about what it could be?
Looking forward for your replies!
Sorry for my poor English

Make sure you're using a USB charger. Your old iPod charger COULD be using FireWire (which the 3G doesn't support). So find a USB charger and see if that helps.

Andriivarko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Well. I didnt told that im using ipod charger. I use iphone 3g charger which comes with iphone in box. Also i tryed to charge from wall outlet. And i know issues with fireware. This is somethin else...

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Well. I didnt told that im using ipod charger. I use iphone 3g charger which comes with iphone in box. Also i tryed to charge from wall outlet. And i know issues with fireware. This is somethin else...

My bad. Sorry dude. I think your iPhone might be busted... make sure there's no lint or anything in the charging port.

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
This happened to my sisters 3G... it just stopped charging.. wouldn't charge with anything... took it to the apple store and they replaced it... you should still have warranty through apple

Sysbase

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2008
Yeah I think you iPhone is dust. But there should be some was to get your money back, maybe. :(

Sirobin

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
California
This happened to my sisters 3G... it just stopped charging.. wouldn't charge with anything... took it to the apple store and they replaced it... you should still have warranty through apple

Did you read his post? He replaced the battery, therefore voiding the warranty.

My only suggestion is...you shouldn't have voided the warranty:p

Andriivarko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009

No i dont have apple warranty, cause:
a) i dont have a conract
b) i removed warranty sticker to replace the battery

im upset :(

Andriivarko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
My bad. Sorry dude. I think your iPhone might be busted... make sure there's no lint or anything in the charging port.

Good idea. But i checked charger dock's contacts - no signs of green chemical reaction "metal+air" %)

theDUB

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2008
SLT, CA
Since you replaced the battery already, that rules out that problem. The logic circuits that manage your battery are not functioning properly. I guess now we know why it was on ebay.

Off topic, but I'm curious as to why you bought an iPhone and immediately shelved it for 2 months?

Andriivarko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Since you replaced the battery already, that rules out that problem. The logic circuits that manage your battery are not functioning properly. I guess now we know why it was on ebay.

Off topic, but I'm curious as to why you bought an iPhone and immediately shelved it for 2 months?

I was in Europe for 2 month.... So you think it could be motherboard? But when i got it from ebay, i was able to charge it and it was fine until i left it on the shelf for a long period of time. That is very interesting fast. And nobody used this phone for those 2 month, cause it was nobody at home.

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK

You said it was off eBay right? Well good old trusty Mr eBay seller might have just put i any old wire, not knowing if it was the iPhone 3G one or not. Try buy a new UBS cable and wall adaptor, is they don't work, it's the phone.

Or perhaps loads of dust gathered in the port at the bottom... :p

Andriivarko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
You said it was off eBay right? Well good old trusty Mr eBay seller might have just put i any old wire, not knowing if it was the iPhone 3G one or not. Try buy a new UBS cable and wall adaptor, is they don't work, it's the phone.

Or perhaps loads of dust gathered in the port at the bottom... :p

I tryed all chargers that i have from iphone 3g manufactured by apple, the work on my second iphone.

theDUB

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2008
SLT, CA
.... So you think it could be motherboard?

Well, I'm not familiar with the internals of the iPhone, but yes, I would guess the unit that tells the battery what to do when is toast.

But when i got it from ebay, i was able to charge it and it was fine until i left it on the shelf for a long period of time.

I can't explain that. That is very interesting fast. And nobody used this phone for those 2 month, cause it was nobody at home.[/QUOTE]

Takeurtime

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
No i dont have apple warranty, cause:
a) i dont have a conract
b) i removed warranty sticker to replace the battery

im upset :(

Just take it to apple doing this:
- put on a shirt and tie
- take sim of the iPhone
- bring iPhone and oem charger
- be polite
- tell the "genius" that your iPhone was charging well than one day it just stopped charging.
- hand him the phone and charger and tell him to see for yourself.

Heres what can happen, he charges it for a minute or two. Than sees you are right, and gives you another one.
Or, (I doubt this will happen) he or someone else takes it and opens it up and sees the "do not remove sticker" is off and comes back to you. He says that the sticker was removed and so it voids the warranty. Than you tell them that you bought it used and that it was working fine. He will repeat the void thing and than you ask to speak to a manager. Tell the manager the same story and than tell him "please rob,tom,Roy whatever his name is, I paid $ for this,please help me out. And if all fails tell him the truth, which you are at this point. But now tell him what you did and why.

Let me say, I doubt they will open the iPhone to check for the sticker. Take it to apple!

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
Just take it to apple doing this:
- put on a shirt and tie
- take sim of the iPhone
- bring iPhone and oem charger
- be polite
- tell the "genius" that your iPhone was charging well than one day it just stopped charging.
- hand him the phone and charger and tell him to see for yourself.

Heres what can happen, he charges it for a minute or two. Than sees you are right, and gives you another one.
Or, (I doubt this will happen) he or someone else takes it and opens it up and sees the "do not remove sticker" is off and comes back to you. He says that the sticker was removed and so it voids the warranty. Than you tell them that you bought it used and that it was working fine. He will repeat the void thing and than you ask to speak to a manager. Tell the manager the same story and than tell him "please rob,tom,Roy whatever his name is, I paid $ for this,please help me out. And if all fails tell him the truth, which you are at this point. But now tell him what you did and why.

Let me say, I doubt they will open the iPhone to check for the sticker. Take it to apple!

So your advice is to lie?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.