Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Yay!

(just wanted to keep this thread at the top of the page)

*Facepalm* :D

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but we don't bump threads. Should any updates on the hardware front come in, you can be sure that they'll show up here.

Google searches:

Gainestown: this thread is the eighth result
Gainestown Mac Pro: this thread is the first result
Next Mac Pro: the front page news article linking here is the first result
Tylersburg DP/36: this thread is the ONLY result, aside from some site in Cyrillic :rolleyes:
2009 Mac Pro: this thread is the 21st result

So it has exposure, and should there be new news, it will probably show up here shortly.

Addendum: OH FRICK. That Cyrillic site? It's quoting this thread! And my specs! And my terrible mockup pictures!!!

Can anyone read this? It's either Russian, Ukrainian, or something Eastern European...

Can it be translated to see if they're passing this off as fact? I sure hope not...

Though I'd like to see what their explanation is for putting that picture of my Griffin Amplifi on their site... I just posted it HERE because that is the style I was going for in my mockup...

Okay, translation software is just showing it as restating my first post in Cyrillic, so that's cool.

I particularly like the elongated Mac Pro mockup and the girl licking an iPhone... wait...

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but we don't bump threads. Should any updates on the hardware front come in, you can be sure that they'll show up here.

Google searches:

Gainestown: this thread is the eighth result
Gainestown Mac Pro: this thread is the first result
Next Mac Pro: the front page news article linking here is the first result
Tylersburg DP/36: this thread is the ONLY result, aside from some site in Cyrillic :rolleyes:
2009 Mac Pro: this thread is the 21st result

So it has exposure, and should there be new news, it will probably show up here shortly.

Addendum: OH FRICK. That Cyrillic site? It's quoting this thread! And my specs! And my terrible mockup pictures!!!

Can anyone read this? It's either Russian, Ukrainian, or something Eastern European...

Can it be translated to see if they're passing this off as fact? I sure hope not...

Though I'd like to see what their explanation is for putting that picture of my Griffin Amplifi on their site... I just posted it HERE because that is the style I was going for in my mockup...

Okay, translation software is just showing it as restating my first post in Cyrillic, so that's cool.

I particularly like the elongated Mac Pro mockup and the girl licking an iPhone... wait...

I'll take a look. My Russian is pretty rusty though.

ncc1701d

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2008
I don't have the technical knowledge you guys do and I have no idea if this could relate to the upcoming Mac Pro, but here you go:

"February 3, 2009 Samsung Electronics has developed the first four gigabit DRAM memory chip using its 50 nanometer technology. 16GB modules using the 4Gb chips use 40% less power than previous DDR3 modules thanks to higher density and half the number of chips.

The 4Gb chips operate at 1.35 volts, a 20% increase in throughput over a 1.5 volt DDR3 chip, and have a maximum speed of 1.6 Gbps.

The 4Gb chip will make its way into 16GB registered DIMMs for servers, 8GB unbuffered DIMMs for workstations, and 8GB small outline DIMMs for laptops.

Using dual-die package technology, the 4Gb chip allows modules of up to 32GB - double that of the 2Gb chips which were state-of-the-art in September 2008."

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA

Пользователь Tallest Skil опубликовал на форуме ресурса Mac Rumors подробнейшее описание грядущего Mac Pro. Прогноз основан на начале производства 2 февраля 2009 года процессорных модулей Gainestown на двух кристаллах. Как отмечает этот же ресурс, новинка может быть представлена уже 29 марта 2009 года. Описание столь детально прорисовано и здесь мы постараемся максимально передать его смысл:

=

User "Tallest Skil" has published highly detailed description of the upcoming MacPro in the forums of MacRumors. The prediction is based on the Feb-2 2009 production launch of Gainestown CPU chips. As noted by the same blog, the new release may hit the shelves as soon as 29 March 2009. The description is so detailed that we will attempt to present it here word for word:

<the rest of your post follows>

Congrats - you're a celebrity of Russian Mac community.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
I don't have the technical knowledge you guys do and I have no idea if this could relate to the upcoming Mac Pro, but here you go:

"February 3, 2009 Samsung Electronics has developed the first four gigabit DRAM memory chip using its 50 nanometer technology. 16GB modules using the 4Gb chips use 40% less power than previous DDR3 modules thanks to higher density and half the number of chips.

The 4Gb chips operate at 1.35 volts, a 20% increase in throughput over a 1.5 volt DDR3 chip, and have a maximum speed of 1.6 Gbps.

The 4Gb chip will make its way into 16GB registered DIMMs for servers, 8GB unbuffered DIMMs for workstations, and 8GB small outline DIMMs for laptops.

Using dual-die package technology, the 4Gb chip allows modules of up to 32GB - double that of the 2Gb chips which were state-of-the-art in September 2008."

This is pretty big news. The question is how affordable will larger DIMMs be?

I wonder if anybody has seen what the prices might be like from 3rd party on the RAM expected in these machines?

EDIT:

My bad, already discussed - some UK prices though:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT3KIT25672BA1339

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT3KIT25672BA1339

They have them up at the U.S. store as well. I think the question comes down to what type of memory Apple is going to use and what speed. For a single 2GB DIMM, the DDR3-1066 crucial's prices are $39.99 for a standard unbuffered non-ECC DIMM, also $39.99 for an unbuffered ECC DIMM, and $179.99 for a registered ECC DIMM. For DDR3-133, the standard and registered DIMMs are at the same $39.99 and $179.99 price points, but the unbuffered ECC DIMM is $89.99. I doubt non-ECC modules are going to be used, the the question is are they going to use the unbuffered or registered ECC DIMMs in the Mac Pro.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
This is pretty big news. The question is how affordable will larger DIMMs be?

Well Meta-RAM (with Hynix I think) were suggesting they wanted their 8GB, 16GB and 32GB DIMMs to have a small overhead on the price per GB over say 4GB DIMMs and I think Micron hinted at the same thing using 2gb chips on sizes upto 16GB. I don't think they are going to risk the price fixing route again so maybe prices will get forced down through competition.

I doubt non-ECC modules are going to be used, the the question is are they going to use the unbuffered or registered ECC DIMMs in the Mac Pro.

Yeah I think the memory questions are:

Registered or Unbuffered offered?
Will there be support for both?
1066 or 1333MHz? Will there be support for both?
3GB or 4GB standard?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Well Meta-RAM (with Hynix I think) were suggesting they wanted their 8GB, 16GB and 32GB DIMMs to have a small overhead on the price per GB over say 4GB DIMMs and I think Micron hinted at the same thing using 2gb chips on sizes upto 16GB. I don't think they are going to risk the price fixing route again so maybe prices will get forced down through competition.

Yeah I think the memory questions are:

Registered or Unbuffered offered?
Will there be support for both?
1066 or 1333MHz? Will there be support for both?
3GB or 4GB standard?
Given the cost, Unbuffered ECC is the most likely candidate. Registered is just way too $$$ ATM. It should be capable of handling both. If Intel disabled the use of Registered ECC, I would think it would cost them sales in the enterprise market.

I'm thinking Apple would go ahead and use 1333MHz (marketing alone ;)), and provide 2x 2GB sticks (4GB total). They might have indicated that they will lower their margins this time, but I'm sure it has limits. ;) :p

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Given the cost, Unbuffered ECC is the most likely candidate. Registered is just way too $$$ ATM. It should be capable of handling both. If Intel disabled the use of Registered ECC, I would think it would cost them sales in the enterprise market.

I'm thinking Apple would go ahead and use 1333MHz (marketing alone ;)), and provide 2x 2GB sticks (4GB total). They might have indicated that they will lower their margins this time, but I'm sure it has limits. ;) :p

Doesn't it have to be in triads? Wouldn't it be three DIMMs?

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England

Well Intel will support both, but we know Apple can have hardware that is supported without a second thought on the generic platform not work on their own version. Registered is obviously beneficial, especially for those using OS X for important or critical applications. Even more so with large amounts of memory. Unbuffered of course not only offers a lower price, but is also faster.

We know Apple has weird ideas on how to cater to certain requirements of the user though. With what appears to be little thought for those who have to pay for features they don't need just to improve Apple's product line image.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
Doesn't it have to be in triads? Wouldn't it be three DIMMs?

The Nehalem integrated memory controller can do dual channel, but triple channel is preferred.

No it doesn't. Single, dual a tri-channel are all supported. 2x2GB is obviously a lot better for the user than 3x1GB so I really hope that is what comes.

There are speed improvements in triple channel though.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Few things:
1) Very Nice Thread! Way to go on this one Tallest.

2) I came across this on the interwebs and thought it was a cool mock up. Worth sharing to all you fine people.

5.jpg

Here's the link. It's on MacBlogz. There is a lot more info on this mockup there.

Sorry if someone posted this before. 34 pages is a lot to read.

tom.

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Few things:

2) I came across this on the interwebs and thought it was a cool mock up. Worth sharing to all you fine people.

Here's the link. It's on MacBlogz. There is a lot more info on this mockup there.

Some interesting ideas in that read - I am skeptical as to whether the will re-design the case. I've always thought of it as timeless really.

I have to say i dont think there will be an urge to use any new maufacturing process on it, it holds none of the advatnages it does for the protable/notebook lines.

I think with the cost of these i7 CPU's, a case redisgn could be too expensive this time around! I wouldn't hold my breath.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Few things:

5.jpg

NO. NO. NO. No slot loading crap! No one wants to buy laptop drives for a workstation! :eek::confused: Also, I've had a tray-loading BD-RE/HD DVD-ROM drive since March 2007 that I bought for this thing and I'll be darned if I don't get to use it internally!

And they have absolutely NO idea what I/O ports DO.

They put dual HDMI on the motherboard as if there would be integrated graphics.

They put dual DVI AND dual Mini DisplayPort on the graphics card... AND DUAL MAGSAFES?! IT'S A GRAPHICS CARD.

Maybe I don't know anything about the flow of power, but I don't think you can have power input to a GPU, can you?

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I agree, in this instance I would say apple will supply RAM in triple channel - the way it is meant to be.
I too think that Apple will use triple channel. In this case it would likely be 3 GB.

Although there's a slight chance of a 2x 1 GB option as a lower cost.

5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Whoa, that looks amazing. Really nice too, although I don't know how functional it would be.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
NO. NO. NO. No slot loading crap! No one wants to buy laptop drives for a workstation! :eek::confused: Also, I've had a tray-loading BD-RE/HD DVD-ROM drive since March 2007 that I bought for this thing and I'll be darned if I don't get to use it internally!

They put dual DVI AND dual Mini DisplayPort on the graphics card... AND DUAL MAGSAFES?! IT'S A GRAPHICS CARD.

Maybe I don't know anything about the flow of power, but I don't think you can have power input to a GPU, can you?

I'm gonna quote Monty Python & the Holy Grail here... "It's only a model"
This is what people do when they get impatient waiting for things! haha
And there actually have been graphics cards to require additional power, such as the ATI 9800 Pro (see attached img), but not from outside the case of course.
I could see Apple doing something similar to what was done in the MBP (having 1 dedicated + integrated graphics processor) Just in the interest of advertising "Highest Performance: Power ratio"

It wouldn't be all bad to have lots of connectivity (would be better than buying adapters for all your displays), but it would make the MP look cluttered, not to mention the cable massacre that would ensue.

I'm with you on the slot drives, BARF! They're slower, and generally don't last as long as tray drives.

Personally, I will buy a Mac Pro when the base model becomes Octo-cored and I can afford it :)

Attachments

• collage-small.jpg
    collage-small.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 84
Aug 26, 2008

Well many pc cards have power inputs to them, but on the inside running off the power supply. I'm guessing you knew that though. The magsafe thing and the hdmi ports are stupid though. Like the person has no clue how the stuff works...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.