Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brclint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009

Attachments

• prob1.jpg
    prob1.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 160
  • prob2.jpg
    prob2.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 166

brclint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
have searched far and wide and only found one other person with this problem.........but i beg you all, please help!:)

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Unfortunately, in PPC macs, PCI SATA cards show up as scsi cards in system profiler (mine does too, always has).......don't know why :confused:

As for mounting them, they have a BSD id assigned to them, which normally gives them a mount point in the file system, so you should be able to see them in Disk Utility.

Have these drives been formatted already ? I ask this because it says "partition map type- unknown" They will NOT mount on the desktop until they are formatted....:p

brclint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
have been formatted but will try again. is this to do with the infamous sii3132 driver

brclint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
tried formatting every which way and still no luck.....:( any ideas????????? Why cant the hard drive be seen in scsi aaaaarggghghhghg

brclint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Calm down dude.
Technically a SATA drive is a sort of SCSI device.

Still doesnt explain why despite formatting in all the flavors of the rainbow it still shows up like that yet cannot be found or mounted in finder or disk utility.

Chuck Fadanoid

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
Munich, Germany
I have an eSata card for my G5 PCI-X PowerMac, and as far as I can remember drives on there are shown as SCSI. However I see your card is a RAID controller - I've never used a RAID system myself, but could it be you've missed something in setting up your RAID. Could you show us screenshots of Disk Utility / Disk Utility RAID tab when the disks are connected?

How are they connected BTW? Externally?

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
have been formatted but will try again. is this to do with the infamous sii3132 driver

I had a card with that chipset in my PCI-E G5 and could never get the drives to show up. It also caused a lot of crashes so I took it out.

As for the scsi part, thats expected.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Still doesnt explain why despite formatting in all the flavors of the rainbow it still shows up like that yet cannot be found or mounted in finder or disk utility.

Are you trying to format them as a single drive or as a RAID? Also.. Are there any physical jumpers/switched on the board? How about posting a link to the device/interface your trying to make uses off?

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Pick one (These probably should be in reverse order).
1) your card is defective
2) your card is not setup properly (jumpers, et al)
3) your hard drives are disconnected (either power/data damaged/unplugged)
4) you installed the wrong drivers
5) the card is incompatible with your computer (G5)
6) the card is incompatible with your OS version.

Someone post what I'm forgetting.

As for SCSI: that's normal.

brclint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Thanks for the scsi info, as for questions.....only attached one hd to it, jumpers are in correct setting, card is a generic ST Lab production 2 esata external, 2 sata internal. Am using drivers from Silicon Image site. Just dont get why the hd is seen via the system profiler yet is not accessible via disk utility.

I understand that the card is not ootb compatible with mac but I just hoped there was a work around.

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
hi read this thread earlier and because i skimmed it - didn't think i could help - have a mp2008.

but reading it again there are some striking similarities - so for what it's worth.....

based on the rec of some on the board incl (ok then mostly :D ) nanofrog - i went for a syba internal sata card with 2 ports - great price/shipping to uk available/had the ports & funtionality that i needed - what could go wrong :p

trouble was the 2 sets of drivers on the syba site failed. one failing to mount/recognise the 2 drives, the other causing kp's. so after getting little help from syba, i noted that the card had a silicon image chip and went looking.

Silicon image site has iirc the same drivers as Syba - so still couldn't get it to work with anything from there.

But I found the Sonnet site and their Tempo E2P looks exactly like the Syba card I bought (i'm now guessing it's based on the same spec and probably from the same factory). so looked a bit further and found that the Sonnet Tempo sata card drivers were a diff rev and had a ref in the driver package itself - to updating the drivers to fix a problem and the problem version they identified had the same version number as the Syba 'drives unrecognised' version - spooky huh!

so i thought no harm in trying these drivers - can confirm MP's been stable and works with the drives mounted / no kp's for weeks now - am pd happy.

so when i looked at the first of your pics just now - i see that all of the info is the same - almost as if you have the same card. the diff with the second pic is that my drives are mounted and the partition is recognised as GPT etc.

so long story short - try this - Tempo SATA E2P Driver (Mac) Version: 1.1.9 V2B from here;

http://sonnettech.com/support/downloads/computercards.html

The V2B is the key as the U version fails on my MP 2008. Have a feeling it might do the trick for you - as i think the important thing is the macos level rather than the hardware.

If it doesn't work for you then it could be down to the difference in the G5 to MP 2008 hardware after all - maybe :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.