Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveMobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Washington D.C.
I'm writing this review for the Booq Taipan S simply because it's something I would have found helpful while in the market for a Macbook sleeve.

Now hopefully if everyone follows the protocol they'll find this page in a search, we'll see.

I have a new 2.4 ghz Unibody Aluminum Macbook, I like it, but needed a minimal sleeve that would accompany it in a backpack. I wanted a sleeve that was specifically designed for the new unibody macbooks, there weren't that many. Aside from the Booq I was also looking at the Tucano Second Skin, but that has not been updated for the Unibodies.

The packaging that the Booq came in was good, but I don't care about that. The box on the other hand was huge! But again, that doesn't really matter.
3270446014_675b61cbe0_b.jpg

Inside you have your standard foam thingy, and a bit of lint, just pick it out and you're ready to go. The orange is cool looking, the closest thing I could describe it to is that it feels like one of those cloth lint rollers, you know? There is enough cushion there between the macbook and the world to help protect against minor accidents.
3270446216_3762e46abd_b.jpg

Once the macbook is inside you can see how perfect the fit is going to be. There really isn't any room for movement and it should do a decent job at protecting the lappy :)
3269624851_4effa41043_b.jpg

One of the things I was worried about was the zipper scratching the aluminum, also a reason why I liked the Tucano Second Skin. But the Boog Taipan has a second, fat, layer of fiber that follows close behind the zipper and makes sure the two are not in contact.
3269624985_23734412fb_b.jpg

Once everything is zipped up you can tell how nice the fit and finish is. The outside material feels like a wet suit, I can't remember the specific name but it's nice and cushiony. The zippers are nice too, they seem sturdy and solid. On the sleeve itself there are those three lines that go down the middle, they're bigger than I thought but they help to hold the sleeve onto a surface. You even get a cool yellow keychain that says Macbook 13, haha, cool.
3269625447_4255912dfe_b.jpg

One thing to mention is the fact that the sleeve zipper doesn't go all the way around like I thought it would. No big deal, it's fine this way too, I was just expecting it, from looking at the Vyper, to go all the way around.

This Booq Taipan S, accompanied by a backpack and you're set and ready to go.

I had not seen the item in person before I ordered, I just went off of other reviews on various sites. Now, having seen it, felt it, and used it I can say I like it and I would order one again tomorrow if I needed to.

I hope this helps!
-Steve

Heimlich

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
Thanks for the review and pics SteveMobs!
I think im receiving my macbook tomorrow so Im looking around for sleeves.
very helpful

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.