Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steaney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
hey there,

i've tried out some tools like macdrive and hfsexplorer under windows 7 without success..

is there a working tool or solution?

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
No and there probably wont be until it comes out, the Macdrive developers tend to be pretty incompetent when it comes to supporting OS's, it took them forever just to support Vista 64.

CoolMe

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
London
Support for Vista 64 is TERRIABLE. the program BSOD me many times!

I will not use it on 64 again. Only 32 :)

steaney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
would be great if there were just a freeware google code like macfuse for the mac to access the windows drive!

or ntfs-3g..

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
You can get MacDrive installed in Windows 7 by modifying the setup .msi install package. Unforunately even though I can get MD installed and it says it's working it doesn't see any Mac drives or partitions so I guess we all have to wait for an update. Which no doubt MediaFour will charge for. Grrr!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Yup won't work. I was going to use this to transfer a ISO file which I was rebuilding. Seems like there is a bug in the 64-bit version of Windows 7 that screws up the EFI boot. Had to rebuild in Windows 7 32-bit, tried to use Mac Drive to send the rebuilt ISO file to Mac partition so I could burn it to disc.

ebony

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2007
I've installed windows 7 32 bit on an imac, no problems with install.

I'm trying to map a drive shared out from a mac mini, I can mount this drive to another computer that has windows xp on it, but I cannot map the drive to the windows 7 computer.

To try and do this I select map network drive and type \\192.168.0.10\external

I've tried with and without user/password, and also setup duplicate users/passwords on the mac and the windows 7 machine.

To summarise heres what works and does not:

share drive from mac to xp - works
share drive from xp to mac works
share drive from xp to windows 7 - works
share drive from windows 7 to xp - works
share drive from windows 7 to mac - works

share drive from mac to windows 7 - does not work.

When I diagnose the problem I get error 50.

Any clues or does it just not work yet ?

Thanks

gmcouto

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
Install MacDrive 7.2.5...

How to do it:
1. Extract the MSI from exe using Winrar
2. Edit the MSI to accept windows 7(at LaunchConditions tab... where is something like WindowsNT=600 you put >=600)
http://www.brothersoft.com/easy-msi-editor-70589.html
3. Set compatibility mode for the MSI to Windows Vista.
4. Install normally.

I'm running MacDrive 7.2.5 at Windows 7 64-bit build 7000.
Works perfectly

(i 'heard' that an old installation trick used in Vista64 for activation still works)

Dont install macdrive_7.2.2 or macdrive_7.2.4.... it brokes Widows 7

rdoane

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008

How to do it:
2. Edit the MSI to accept windows 7(at LaunchConditions tab... where is something like WindowsNT=600 you put >=600)
4. Install normally.

Works perfectly

(i 'heard' that an old installation trick used in Vista64 for activation still works)

I got it to install following your instructions but I still can't see my HFS+ partition in MacDrive. Any suggestions?

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Support for Vista 64 is TERRIABLE. the program BSOD me many times!

I will not use it on 64 again. Only 32 :)

Troll much? Mac Drive does not come in 64-bit but that's because the developers are idiots and have no foresight. There is a ridiculous amount of 64-bit support, in fact to get Vista Certification for your driver(s) they must be offered in both 32 and 64-bit.

steaney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009

How to do it:
4. Install normally.

Works perfectly

for me its the same.. installs fine but no mac drive.. a shame!! :( anyway.. thanks for the try!! maybe theres another step to make it work?

rdoane

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008

How to do it:
4. Install normally.

Works perfectly

On a fresh install of Windows 7 this method works. Thanks.

gearhead364

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2009
Cincinnati, OH

How to do it:
4. Install normally.

Works perfectly

This method worked fine for my Win 7 x64 install. I did have one bug, but it seemed to fix itself or maybe I just pushed the right button at the right time.

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2007
Macdrive 7.2.6 was released yesterday. The installer has the same message as the 7.2.5 that it wont install on the system. Has anyone modified the .msi with the method above on the new 7.2.6 and have it running successfully? If someone else wants to be the test pilot that would be sweet ;-)

Thanks

trancepriest

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
South Florida
If you will be using a shared media hard (network) drive... a good solution now is to use AEBS disk. I have no problem with Airport Utility/Airport Disks accessing the shared media volume off of a USB 2TB drive connected to AEBS. This set up is great for watching bluray/hddvd in PowerDVD. Shows up on the Windows side as FAT32 and on the mac side as AppleShare.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Macdrive 7.2.6 was released yesterday. The installer has the same message as the 7.2.5 that it wont install on the system. Has anyone modified the .msi with the method above on the new 7.2.6 and have it running successfully? If someone else wants to be the test pilot that would be sweet ;-)

Thanks
7.2.6 has the same issue on Windows 7 x64 and Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. You still need to edit the .msi and it still does not see the OS X drive. It did work fine with one of the older versions but broke when I updated to 7.2.5. When I find the one that works I'll let you know.

UPDATE: It was 7.2.2 which works fine under both Windows 7 and Sever 2008 R2 64bit versions.

petejk

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
Just had some success with Macdrive 7.2.5.

Installed using the MSI edit mentioned above, but when I rebooted, my drive was still not visible.
However, when I installed Ext2IFS 1.11a (in order to view my Linux partition), and rebooted, I was able to use the IFS control panel utility to assign a drive letter to both Mac and Linux partitions.

The only bug seems to be that I have to run the control panel utility after each reboot to reassign letters.
Update to 7.2.6 resulted in failure to load Macdrive on boot however.
Regards,
Pete

Attachments

• Macdrive.jpg
    Macdrive.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 1,047

yadvani

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2009
Just had some success with Macdrive 7.2.5.

Installed using the MSI edit mentioned above, but when I rebooted, my drive was still not visible.
However, when I installed Ext2IFS 1.11a (in order to view my Linux partition), and rebooted, I was able to use the IFS control panel utility to assign a drive letter to both Mac and Linux partitions.

The only bug seems to be that I have to run the control panel utility after each reboot to reassign letters.
Update to 7.2.6 resulted in failure to load Macdrive on boot however.
Regards,
Pete

Thanks your for tip my macdrive now works flawless.

I read through the website of Ext2IFS and it mentioned about a command line access. So i created a batch file and stuck in it my startup folder. Now I don't have to assign a letter at every start up:). Here are the steps:

1) Assign a Drive Letter using EXT2IFS

2) Run cmd.exe and type "mountvol X:\ /L" (without the quotation marks; and replace X: with the current letter the drive is assigned to)

3) Now mountvol will report the persistent volume name (example):
\\?\Volume{241c8cc6-c4e4-11db-8168-c5932447ec37}

4) Copy that

5) Open Notepad

6) Type: "mountvol X:\ \\?\Volume{241c8cc6-c4e4-11db-8168-c5932447ec37}" (again without the quotation marks; replace X: with whatever letter you want to assign it too; replace the last part with what you got from cmd)

7) Save it as a .bat file (you can name it whatever as long as it ends with .bat)

8) stick it in your startup folder

Thats what I did ..

Thanks again :)

kennytech

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
failsafe method -- seriously

The following works for me on 3 macs -- x86 and x64, using macdrive 7.2.5:

1. Modify .msi as many have already explained.
2. Install it, reboot.
3. HERE IS THE KEY: Install Ext2Fsd 0.46 (which should include Ext2Mgr 2.26).
4. Run Ext2 Volume Manager, assign a drive letter to the MacOS HFS partition, and check the box to make it permanent.
5. Reboot
6. The end. My MacOSX partition lives as D: and stays as such. It has worked flawlessly for me since day 1.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
The following works for me on 3 macs -- x86 and x64, using macdrive 7.2.5:

1. Modify .msi as many have already explained.
2. Install it, reboot.
3. HERE IS THE KEY: Install Ext2Fsd 0.46 (which should include Ext2Mgr 2.26).
4. Run Ext2 Volume Manager, assign a drive letter to the MacOS HFS partition, and check the box to make it permanent.
5. Reboot
6. The end. My MacOSX partition lives as D: and stays as such. It has worked flawlessly for me since day 1.
Thanks for the tip - Windows 7 RC broke my MacDrive again and just installing 7.2.2 (which worked before) wouldn't show the drive letter. I don't have 7.2.5 so I'll stick with 7.2.2 for now.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
7.2.6 has the same issue on Windows 7 x64 and Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. You still need to edit the .msi and it still does not see the OS X drive. It did work fine with one of the older versions but broke when I updated to 7.2.5. When I find the one that works I'll let you know.

UPDATE: It was 7.2.2 which works fine under both Windows 7 and Sever 2008 R2 64bit versions.

I've tried running 7.2.2 using trouble shoot compatibility, this managed to get it to install using XP SP 2 compatibility mode. But does not see my OS X partition, yet can read the HSF side of the Leopard disk. How did you get it to work? (using 32 bit Windows 7 BTW).

Edit: Just realised haven't assigned it a drive letter, d'oh. Will Check Computer Management and see if I can.

Edit 2: Nope that didn't work, can see partition in Computer Management but Windows doesn't know what to do with it :(

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Anyone have luck with 7.2.6 at all, or is 7.2.5 it? And, with having to manually assign drive letters, I'm guessing this remains a VERY incomplete solution for removable drives, no?

EDIT: I should point out that I downloaded 7.2.6 yesterday and was going to give this a shot, but ran out of time (had to sleep) and likely won't have any time tonight or tomorrow night to test it myself. Damn busy weeks.

assassinm4

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
Hong Kong
7.2.5 needs no MSI editing or whatsoever.
i started the installation with 7.0.10, then 7.2.2, 7.2.4 and lastly 7.2.5.
no problem at all.
running a penryn macbook pro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.