Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

confusion12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Hello, I'm new here and I just signed up because I was wondering if this one would work on this imac or any Mac to fix the DFU problem in Mac OS X 10.5.6 thanks :)

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Why not simply plug your iPhone into the iMac's aluminium (wired) keyboard? It is powered and will do the job with no issue related to DFU/10.5.6.
Or don't you have one of those?

confusion12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
^Thanks you just saved me $11 :D
That's why I've seen almost no desktop users complain about DFU

ipodtouchnoob

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
^Thanks you just saved me $11 :D
That's why I've seen almost no desktop users complain about DFU

aaaah, you are lucky, i have a macbook 10.5.6 and a ipod touch 2g 32GB and i REALLY wanna jailbreak it! and because that stupid 10.5.6 DFU thing i can't jailbreak it, and i have an imac too but that is the old one, so i don't have the aluminum keybord, and no USB hub either... :'(

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Why not simply plug your iPhone into the iMac's aluminium (wired) keyboard? It is powered and will do the job with no issue related to DFU/10.5.6.
Or don't you have one of those?

That works for you? I tried it tonight on my iMacs keyboard and it still didn't work.

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
The Dev Team has the solution for 10.5.6 users on their home page, it worked just great for me

that did not work for me, any clues on how to do it with a MacBook?

I did not know about the DFU issue with 10.5.6 and tryied to upgrade to 2.2.1 and now my iPhone is locked:mad::mad::mad:

Any suggestions on how to do it?
Do you guys think that trying it with my iBook that runs Tiger I´ll be able to unlock and jailbrake my iPhone again? I don´t care about the version that is running as long as I can use the Phone!

ipodtouchnoob

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
can i use USB HUB for 10.5.6 by jailbreaking ipod touch 2g?

hey, i bought a usb hub for 12$ but my macbook 10.5.6 still doesn't wanna recognize DFU, and i started wondering if you only can use DFU usb hub with iphone and not ipod touch 2g ?

imac 10.4.11 macbook "13" white ipod touch 2g "32 GB"

Rusalka

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Northern Virginia
that did not work for me, any clues on how to do it with a MacBook?

I did not know about the DFU issue with 10.5.6 and tryied to upgrade to 2.2.1 and now my iPhone is locked:mad::mad::mad:

Any suggestions on how to do it?
Do you guys think that trying it with my iBook that runs Tiger I´ll be able to unlock and jailbrake my iPhone again? I don´t care about the version that is running as long as I can use the Phone!

Your phone will remain locked until the dev team releases an update to yellowsn0w sadly.

I'm on a macbook and these intructions from their home page worked fine:

Fixing DFU mode on 10.5.6

As noted previously OS X 10.5.6 introduced a bug that affected the use of DFU mode. with some Macs. There have been previously published hacks and techniques to fix this, but here is another method that can be used to temporarily restore DFU functionality in order to use QuickPwn or PwnageTool.

You will need an account with ADC (Apple Developer Connection) this is free and takes a few minutes to sign up, you should read the terms and conditions carefully and you should only sign up if you are thinking of developing applications in the future - http://developer.apple.com/mac/
Download the disk image “IOUSBFamily-315.4-log.dmg” for Mac OS X 10.5.5 Build 9F33” (yes, that is a “5” in 10.5.5 - this is a developer debug package of the USB kernel extension).
Unplug non-vital USB equipment, such as external DVD writers, USB scanners, USB mass storage devices, at the most leave a Keyboard and Mouse connected.
Install IOUSBFamily-315.4.1.pkg from within the disk image
Reboot your system!
Perform necessary DFU activity with QuickPwn or PwnageTool.
Download the disk image “IOUSBFamily-327.4.0-log.dmg” for Mac OS X 10.5.6 Build 9G55”
Intall IOUSBFamily-327.4.0.pkg from within the disk image
Reboot your system!
Reattach your USB peripherals.

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Your phone will remain locked until the dev team releases an update to yellowsn0w sadly.

As noted previously OS X 10.5.6 introduced a bug that affected the use of DFU mode. with some Macs. There have been previously published hacks and techniques to fix this, but here is another method that can be used to temporarily restore DFU functionality in order to use QuickPwn or PwnageTool.

You will need an account with ADC (Apple Developer Connection) this is free and takes a few minutes to sign up, you should read the terms and conditions carefully and you should only sign up if you are thinking of developing applications in the future - http://developer.apple.com/mac/
Download the disk image “IOUSBFamily-315.4-log.dmg” for Mac OS X 10.5.5 Build 9F33” (yes, that is a “5” in 10.5.5 - this is a developer debug package of the USB kernel extension).
Unplug non-vital USB equipment, such as external DVD writers, USB scanners, USB mass storage devices, at the most leave a Keyboard and Mouse connected.
Reboot your system!
Download the disk image “IOUSBFamily-327.4.0-log.dmg” for Mac OS X 10.5.6 Build 9G55”
Reboot your system!

Well I tried that and it didn't work at all, same error 21.
Though as mentioned in other post,

I DID IT!!!!
FIX IT FIX IT

I used my iBook with
- iTunes 8
- Pwnage 2.2
- iPhone original 2.2 ipsw
- Restore iPhone to original 2.2
- Built a custom 2.2
- UL/JB with custom 2.2
VOILA!

Now is syncing again with my previous configuration!!!

Thanks for the help everyone... I guess my mistake was that I was trying to UL/JB after restoring to 2.2.1

BTW what´s new on 2.2.1, is it really worth it???
POST...

ipodtouchnoob

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
The Dev Team has the solution for 10.5.6 users on their home page, it worked just great for me

yeah i know, but i tried to do that for like 1 week ago but when i did it i tried to play smart so i downloaded the 10.5.6 IOUSBfamily thing BEFORE the 10.5.5, and now when i try to download the 10.5.5 it says: a newer volume of this program is already on this computer, and therefor i can't download it, so that was really stupid of me and now i don't know how i can redo the prosses cuz i get the same message every time, need help!

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA

Reboot your system!
Reboot your system!

I'm on a WhiteBook guys and Dev team's process for 10.5.6 (^)worked perfect on my first attempt to jailbreak... It should just go smoothly without a hitch. Good luck.

skasol

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
I'm on a WhiteBook guys and Dev team's process for 10.5.6 (^)worked perfect on my first attempt to jailbreak... It should just go smoothly without a hitch. Good luck.

I did this and it worked fine, first try too.

Rusalka

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Northern Virginia
+1, I was so happy, I'd already restored my phone about 9 times until I finally stumbled upon the work around and it worked perfectly, such a happy occasion!!

sdk

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
Fixing DFU mode on 10.5.6...

Install IOUSBFamily-327.4.0.pkg from within the disk image

Reboot your system!

Why is it necessary to install the second .dmg file (“IOUSBFamily-327.4.0-log.dmg” for Mac OS X 10.5.6 Build 9G55”)?

:cool:

Rusalka

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Northern Virginia
Because when you download the first file you're downgrading some software on your mac?

When I didn't re-upgrade after jailbreaking my phone nothing that connected USB could be read, my macbook would just crash, once I re-upgraded everything worked fine

Whats awesome is that I can downgrade and re-upgrade as many times as I want so I can JB all my friends phones :D

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Fixing DFU mode on 10.5.6...

Install IOUSBFamily-327.4.0.pkg from within the disk image

Reboot your system!

Why is it necessary to install the second .dmg file (“IOUSBFamily-327.4.0-log.dmg” for Mac OS X 10.5.6 Build 9G55”)?

Rusalka has got it right. The first .dmg is the 10.5.5 version of the USB recognition (or whatever it exactly alters) file and the second should be done after the jailbreak and replaces the 10.5.5 file with the previous 10.5.6 file so that your all back up to date... Again.

sdk

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
ahhhhhhhhhhh danke ;)

My mbp (2.4 Ghz) is not one of the new unibody models it is one cycle back in the mbp line.

I will check if I even need the dfu fix with 10.5.6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.