Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jake52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
I have an iPhone 3G 16 gig 2.2.1 firmware that has been working fine with our Exchange server since I got it last August. This morning when I got to work I saw that my password was going to expire soon so I changed it. I went to go update my password in my phone and now it wont connect to the Exchange server.

I tried deleting the account, entering it again, resetting the phone, nothing is working. I made absolutely sure all the data is correct (server address, domain, email address, password, etc) but when I try to set up the account again I keep getting the error "Exchange Account Verification Failed".

Has anyone else had this problem? I tried searching the internet and the forums for answers but I couldn't find anything.

Jake52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
After some investigation, I think the problem is coming from my company's Exchange server. My wife also has an iPhone 3G and I'm getting the same error when I try to set up my email on her phone. I know its not my phone because I can set up her company's Exchange email account on my phone just fine. The final nail in the coffin is that another co-worker has an iPhone and her work email quit working as well.

So does anyone know some tricks I can try to get my Exchange email working again? The main problem is that my company doesn't officially support iPhones so maybe someone finally got wise and disabled the ActiveSync feature on the Exchange server. If I call someone in IT I'm guessing they will say "tough luck" so I want to do everything I can first to get this to work without involving them.

ILBandit

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2008
If your exchange server settings have been changed, or IT shut something down, there will be nothing you can do to get around it.
You would have to have the exchange server set up to accept EAS.
If other people in your company use EAS on different types of phones, I would see if it stopped for them also. Might just be a small glitch or something.
Good luck! EAS is awesome, I love it.

Jake52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Unfortunately my company only officially supports Blackberry's. It just seems strange that Exchange ActiveSync worked for around 3 years (ever since we upgraded to Exchange Server 2003), and now it seems like they shut that feature off.

I did find this web site...
https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/
Has anyone tried this before? Do you think it's safe to enter my work email information?

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Yeah, I'm skeptical. I would recommend the test account if possible. More easily done might be asking the IT department if they shut off the Active Sync.

Jake52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
I finally got some closure on this issue. I talked to someone in our IT department and they did disable the ActiveSync feature on the Exchange server. I guess they did it to save money by cutting bandwidth to the server (I don't really get that answer).

So my question is how much bandwidth could they possibly be saving by disabling this feature? Our company only supports Blackberry's so the only people using ActiveSync would be people like me who are tech savvy and know this even exists. I'm guessing a few dozen at the most have cell phones that are set up to use this feature. Is there some argument I can give the IT department to bring ActiveSync back?

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
I just talked with our IT guy and he claims this is bunk. When mail is received ActiveSync sends a short message to your phone and then your phone goes and gets the mail. (The short message is a form of SMS evidently). In any case, if you have access to the Outlook Web Mail that would consume significantly more bandwidth than the ActiveSync service...

haddman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Do you have OWA access? Try using that as your exchange server address instead. That is what I have to do. They have Active sync disabled on the exchange servers, and I get the same error, but if I enter my OWA web address it links up just fine.

Jake52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Yes, we do have OWA enabled. And that was the server address that I used with my Exchange connection in my iPhone before they did something to make it not work. There must be some kind of setting that allows people to use the Outlook Web Access but not let a cell phone connect to it.

And this goes back to my original question, if anyone in the company can connect using Outlook Web Access how much bandwidth are we saving by not letting cell phones connect to it? I have a feeling we have some IT people who really don't understand how all this works and they just disabled the feature. Does anyone know of an article or web site that could give me more information about all this stuff, like how Exchange 2003 works with OWA, ActiveSync, etc?

haddman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Yes, we do have OWA enabled. And that was the server address that I used with my Exchange connection in my iPhone before they did something to make it not work. There must be some kind of setting that allows people to use the Outlook Web Access but not let a cell phone connect to it.

And this goes back to my original question, if anyone in the company can connect using Outlook Web Access how much bandwidth are we saving by not letting cell phones connect to it? I have a feeling we have some IT people who really don't understand how all this works and they just disabled the feature. Does anyone know of an article or web site that could give me more information about all this stuff, like how Exchange 2003 works with OWA, ActiveSync, etc?

I doubt it is much of a bandwidth issue as it is security. They probably view it as a violation of security policy loophole that allows personal owned wireless devices to access the mail servers, versus their supported blackberry solution. My office is part of a domain that covers much of the northeast, so I'm hoping no one shuts it down for us at some point.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
To be fair though there are administrative tools that can deal with the security issue. I believe that they can remotely wipe and reset the iPhone just as you can do with a BlackBerry. We don't happen to use them. My phone locks after a few mins which is probably enough coverage for us.

joserpaq

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2007

Jake I had the same thing happen to me and I've been able to get contacts calenders and email to sync with the phone using entourage on a home computer. The only issue I have is that I can't reply to a message on the iphone since it will show that it was sent from my .me account instead of the corporate acccount. I'm working on applescript that will get around this but it's the best I've been able to do so far. Since .me support push sync my calender, contacts and incoming mail shows up on the phone quickly but then if I get an email that I need to respond to I have to open safari on the phone and go to company webmail. I tried using a service called syncyourmail which works great but for some reason after a day I get locked out and I need to call in to get my password reset. The entourage solutions works 24/7.

Jake52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Thanks for the tip joserpaq. I'm a Windows user so what I'm doing is redirecting my work email to a Yahoo email account. The nice thing is that Yahoo has pretty good and reliable push email on the iPhone so I'm getting my work emails almost instantly. I'm also using Google Calendar Sync to take my work calendar and sync it to my Google calendar, which I have set up on my iPhone (push as well).

There are obvious drawbacks to this set up. the Google Calendar Sync program has to be running on my computer while I'm at work, otherwise the events dont sync. And I can't respond to emails because they would be coming from my Yahoo account.

Until I figure something else out this is what I'll use to get my calendar and email on the iPhone. I just really wish they would turn ActiveSync back on!!!!

joserpaq

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2007
Thanks for the tip joserpaq. I'm a Windows user so what I'm doing is redirecting my work email to a Yahoo email account. The nice thing is that Yahoo has pretty good and reliable push email on the iPhone so I'm getting my work emails almost instantly. I'm also using Google Calendar Sync to take my work calendar and sync it to my Google calendar, which I have set up on my iPhone (push as well).

There are obvious drawbacks to this set up. the Google Calendar Sync program has to be running on my computer while I'm at work, otherwise the events dont sync. And I can't respond to emails because they would be coming from my Yahoo account.

Until I figure something else out this is what I'll use to get my calendar and email on the iPhone. I just really wish they would turn ActiveSync back on!!!!

Try looking at syncyourmail.xxx the service will let you send and receive exchange email to your phone through an imap setup on the phone. So you won't have the issue with not being able to reply. You IT dept won't know that anything is being redirected either. The service is $55 per year but for me it's worth it.

2003Elemental

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
iPhone 3g - Exchange Account Verifications Failed

This seem to be a problem with the information in the exchange server field on the setup screen.

Example: https://mail.company.net/owa

What actually works here is:

mail.company.net

Once I made the change in my configuration, all other settings were correct and the account verified and started downloading email. Don't ask me why this works, but it works with SSL enabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.